U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 04:05 PM

3,513 posts, read 1,602,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
People in Philadelphia refer to William Penn as Billy Pen as if we are best buds with him. I don't think anyone else in the country is on a familiar basis with Billy Penn as we are.
Too funny! I heard that in Springfield, IL, the opposite is true with Abraham Lincoln: you're supposed to keep a respectful distance. Calling him Abe is looked down upon. The proper names to call him are Abraham, Mr. Lincoln, or Pres. Lincoln.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 08:18 PM

417 posts, read 117,143 times
Many southerners say "hey" for hi or hello. It seems to irk many a norther who moves down. When I say "hey" to a northerner, I often get the response "HAY is for horses!" said with indignation. I explain that its hEy not hAy, and that it's a colloquialism that has been used in the south for over a hundred years. Just last week, I greeted someone in the morning with a cheerful "hey". She responded with "My name is not HAY, my name is KAREN!" So, I said "OK...Hey...Karen". She didn't seem to see the humor in it.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:26 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,163,901 times
Southern women have a language all to themselves. They have a million You Tube videos on this.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:30 PM

19,842 posts, read 18,861,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
If you say grinder or dunks you are from New England. Also if you know what the big e is.
Western MA. In the eastern part of the state (Bawston) they say sub and they have no idea what the Big E is.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:06 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,447,790 times
JAWN......Philly.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:26 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I seriously thought "mischief night" was universal in the U.S.
Nope. We never had a word for it. At worst, Halloween eve.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:25 PM

4,099 posts, read 4,737,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by addakisson View Post
Many southerners say "hey" for hi or hello. It seems to irk many a norther who moves down. When I say "hey" to a northerner, I often get the response "HAY is for horses!" said with indignation. I explain that its hEy not hAy, and that it's a colloquialism that has been used in the south for over a hundred years. Just last week, I greeted someone in the morning with a cheerful "hey". She responded with "My name is not HAY, my name is KAREN!" So, I said "OK...Hey...Karen". She didn't seem to see the humor in it.
People say hey here all the time too. I think it's only a select kind of person who takes some kind of offense. I also think most people who reply with "hey is for horses" are just being snarky, not serious.

Snark is something I discovered to be commonly taken as funny in the north, and taken as insulting in the south. I think a lot of southerners are not aware that most snark is just humor to us, not actual complaints.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:38 PM

56,093 posts, read 54,581,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
JAWN......Philly.
What does it mean?

Old 06-01-2017, 10:38 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,596,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agun77 View Post
"Freeway"- California
"Hella"- Northern California (particularly the San Francisco Bay Area)
"The [insert expressway number here]"- Southern California (particularly Los Angeles)
"Wicked"- New England (particularly Boston)
"Hero"- sub sandwich, New York City metropolitan area
"Hoagie"- sub sandwich, Philadelphia
"Po'boy"- sub sandwich, Louisiana
"Mischief night"- New York City metropolitan area/northern New Jersey
"Devil's night"- Detroit
"Tree lawn"- Cleveland
"Gym shoes"- Chicagoland (although according to the New York Times Dialect Quiz, Cincinnatians also use this term.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Circle - New Jersey
Rotary - New England
Roundabout - everywhere else

Expressway - NYC region
Freeway - most other places, I think

Jughandle - New Jersey
WTF is this? - Everywhere else
It's called a "circle", and "mischief night" in Philly as well.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:32 AM

295 posts, read 204,455 times
Gym Shoes is apparently a Chicago thing. Didn't know until I went to college. I've never really used "sneakers"

One of my best friends in college was from NYC and he used a lot of different words and sayings.

"Mad". He used it like "very". "It's mad cold out here."
"Bet". Used to confirm something.

"I'll see you at the library in a couple of hours."
"Alright, bet."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.