U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2018, 09:08 AM

4,099 posts, read 4,737,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
The reason I say Detroit is because that's where the term was made popular (Faygo *POP*) before having since spread out.

But yeah, it has become more common across the rest of the Great Lakes annd Upper Midwest in recent decades.
I never knew it got its roots in Detroit. Interesting!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 10:47 AM

3,616 posts, read 1,207,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I never knew it got its roots in Detroit. Interesting!
To be clear, it didn't originate in Detroit. Traces of the word being used to describe carbonated beverages date back to 1812 in England

But it was the usage of the word by companies such as Faygo Beverages based out of Detroit that paved the way for it to become more mainstream.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:44 AM

571 posts, read 391,103 times
When someone refers to a sofa or a couch as a "davenport," then they're probably an old timer from rural Iowa.

As a kid I cracked up every time my grandmother referred to her couch as a "davenport."

Apparently, decades ago Davenport, Iowa, was a large manufacturing center for furniture in the Midwest. So couches were called "davenports."

Old 09-03-2018, 07:57 AM

3,513 posts, read 1,602,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
When someone refers to a sofa or a couch as a "davenport," then they're probably an old timer from rural Iowa.

As a kid I cracked up every time my grandmother referred to her couch as a "davenport."

Apparently, decades ago Davenport, Iowa, was a large manufacturing center for furniture in the Midwest. So couches were called "davenports."
I never heard the word "davenport", unless it's Davenport, IA; it's always been "sofa" or "couch".

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 09-03-2018 at 08:15 AM..

Old 09-03-2018, 08:01 AM

6,437 posts, read 9,958,163 times
A pie. Can't freaking stand when someone from New Yaaaawk says that. It's pizza damn it.

Last edited by allenk893; 09-03-2018 at 08:17 AM..

Old 09-03-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
A pie. Can't freaking stand when someone from New Yaaaawk says that. It's pizza damn it.
Haha! Chicago looks down on that usage indeed. In fact, there's a running joke, that the reason Chicago tavern-style pizza is cut into squares, is to keep New Yorkers from calling it a "pie". (Chicago tavern-style pizza is similar to New York-style pizza, but the crust is too crispy to fold.)

Old 09-03-2018, 09:34 AM

21,697 posts, read 23,668,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Cleveland - "Tree lawn" for the grassy area between the sidewalk and the street.
Minnesota "Uff-dah" an expression of exasperation or mild pain.
So that's what a tree lawn is. I moved to Cleveland a few years ago and had never heard that expression before. I lived in Chicago where we called that the "parkway" and Portland, OR where it was just the curbside.

In the PNW something expensive was "spendy." I don't here that here. Further downstate from Chicago a cake made from a box like Betty Crocker was a "Box Cake. " In Chicago it was a "Cake Mix."

Old 09-03-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've never heard it called a sack in real life, but I've heard of it on threads like this. One woman I worked with, from Bayonne, called her bags of groceries "bundles". She brought in the bundles from the car. I was picturing her food wrapped in brown paper and tied with string.
When I first moved to Portland, OR in the 70's, everyone called grocery bags "sacks." I think that hasn't been been common since the nineties though.

Also my friend from Dallas calls those carts at the supermarket "buggies."

Old 09-03-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I live in Chicago, and I heard the term "front room" only once. Interestingly, it was used by someone in their late 20's, who did not live in a bungalow or the South Side. The word was pronounced normally, not "frunchroom".

All other times, it's was "living room" or "hall", or wherever the entrance door led.
I was born in Chicago in the forties and lived in places that had those rooms. I think they were called various names at different times. Parlor, front room, sun room and even spare room are some I can think of. I never heard of "frunchroom" though. That just sounds like someone's mispronounciation of front room.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That just sounds like someone's mispronounciation of front room.
It kind of is. In some dialects, the T degenerates into a CH if positioned between certain letters, or even turns into a barely-pronounced glottal stop (like the apostrophe in some spellings of "Hawai'i").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.