U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 10:15 AM

1,231 posts, read 509,342 times

Advertisements

Hawaii is a dead giveaway for me. Iíve spent a lot of time there over the years and can pick up the accent immediately, not to mention words and phrases, regardless if they have Hawaiian blood, or white (haole)

Besides the obvious of aloha (hello and goodbye), and mahalo (thank you)

Howzit - howís it going
Grindz - food
Slippahs - flip flops
Talk story - shoot the breeze
Braddah - brother
Shoots - ok
Da kine - pretty much anything

Thereís plenty more, these just are just a few that seem to be a bit more mainstream, especially in Southern California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 04:42 PM

19,844 posts, read 18,867,840 times
In Massachusetts (not Boston area) my mother always called the living room the parlor.

She also called one room the front room, although I think the front room was a sealed off formal, special room reserved for rare occasions. And in another house we had a hall--an entry room.

When I was old enough to go to school, I realized that NO ONE said parlor. I was embarrassed and told my mother we had to call it the living room.

My grandmother called the couch a divan.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:37 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,689,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I remember moving to Columbus, GA and being quite taken aback at two pronunciations in particular: Buena Vista Blvd and Jordan High School. They say "Byooner Vister" and "Jerdin." I swear I didn't even correlate "Jerdin" with "Jordan" High School for the longest time. I thought they had to be two different schools and I couldn't figure out where "Jerdin" was - LOL.

Now that "Byooner Vister" irritated me from the get go though, because I had been living in Texas where that road would have certainly been called "Bwayna Veesta."

But we have our share of strangely pronounced place names too - for instance Gruene - which is "Green." And Bexar County, which is "Bare" basically. And Humble, TX is pronounced "Umble." And Nacogdoches - well, it's "Naco-dochis." Not to be confused with nearby Natchidoches, LA which is pronounced "Nack-i-dish."

Anytime anyone from out of state says "Groin" for Gruene, or "Bex-ar" for Bexar County, or they stumble over Nacogdoches, it's a dead giveaway "You ain't from around here, are ya?"
They say Jerdin in Shreveport too. If a person says Jordan Street, they ain't from around there!

Old 09-16-2018, 05:51 PM

44,852 posts, read 36,203,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
They say Jerdin in Shreveport too. If a person says Jordan Street, they ain't from around there!
Well, all the more reason to stay the heck away from Shreveport! Jordan has an O in it. Come on!

Old 09-16-2018, 07:26 PM

4,101 posts, read 4,739,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
In Massachusetts (not Boston area) my mother always called the living room the parlor.

She also called one room the front room, although I think the front room was a sealed off formal, special room reserved for rare occasions. And in another house we had a hall--an entry room.

When I was old enough to go to school, I realized that NO ONE said parlor. I was embarrassed and told my mother we had to call it the living room.

My grandmother called the couch a divan.
I've met other coastal folks from New England and the NYC/Jersey area that used Parlor over living room. It must be an old hold over from previous generations.

Here western NY some people call it the sitting room.

Divan I have never heard! How is it pronounced?

Old 09-17-2018, 01:27 AM

105 posts, read 38,561 times
When I lived in the South, I noticed that people tended to use landmarks when describing a location as opposed to the name of a street or direction of a location, for example: " Go past the big church, then turn left by that liquor store, go to the end of the block by McDonald's, and Ill meet you there". Here in Denver, we might say " Go north on Peoria (St.), turn west on Colfax, and then make a right on Kingston, 3rd house on the left." All a matter of perception, I guess.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:09 AM

16,420 posts, read 5,357,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
When someone refers to a sofa or a couch as a "davenport," then they're probably an old timer from rural Iowa.

As a kid I cracked up every time my grandmother referred to her couch as a "davenport."

Apparently, decades ago Davenport, Iowa, was a large manufacturing center for furniture in the Midwest. So couches were called "davenports."
My mother was born in Iowa, and she used to call it a "davenport," too. She also called the living room "the front room" and spoke of "fixing" meals rather than cooking them or preparing them.

I live in San Francisco and have never heard anyone say "hella," but then I'm the wrong age group for that. Also, the use of "the" before a freeway number ("the I-5") is strictly a Southern California thing and not done here unless you want to advertise that you're not from the Bay Area.

Old timers here have always pronounced California's Spanish city names incorrectly. San Jose is "Sanno ZAY," Los Altos is "Loss AL-tuss" and San Rafael is "San Ruh-fell." And Los Angeles is "Loss AN-jellis." When TV and radio weather forecasters from elsewhere come here, you can always tell because they pronounce the names correctly, as a Spanish speaker would. If you grew up in the Bay Area as I did, it just sounds wrong.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:32 AM

87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I've met other coastal folks from New England and the NYC/Jersey area that used Parlor over living room. It must be an old hold over from previous generations.

Here western NY some people call it the sitting room.

Divan I have never heard! How is it pronounced?
I've heard all of those that have been mentioned for both that piece of furniture and the formal room of a house. I've lived in 7 states, mostly though in PA, IL and CO, so I don't know what's from where any more. Longest in CO. With so many transplants here, it's hard to say what's "Coloradan".

Old 09-17-2018, 08:48 AM

1,275 posts, read 751,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Duck Duck Gray Duck and Hotdish.

Minnesota.
Duck Duck Gray Duck lol I love that. Never heard it before.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:23 PM

1,016 posts, read 642,534 times
Older people from New England still refer to dressers as "bureaus" and wardrobe closets as "armoires."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.