U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2018, 02:31 AM

2,769 posts, read 2,493,488 times

Advertisements

I haven't read every page, so maybe somebody else has said this, but a lot of people in WA also say "pop" as opposed to soda. Also we call "Mountain Lions" Cougars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 06:10 AM

44,691 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I haven't read every page, so maybe somebody else has said this, but a lot of people in WA also say "pop" as opposed to soda. Also we call "Mountain Lions" Cougars.
That's a good one! Cougars, aka mountain lions, and 38 other terms, have more names in English than any other animal, depending on region. With 40 different terms used, the cougar has more names than any other animal in the world.

Mountain Lion FAQ and Facts

I grew up hearing my Arkansas relatives call them "catamounts" but my Texas husband calls them "panthers." I think some people mix up cougars and bob cats.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:51 AM

5,549 posts, read 6,977,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I've met other coastal folks from New England and the NYC/Jersey area that used Parlor over living room. It must be an old hold over from previous generations.

Here western NY some people call it the sitting room.

Divan I have never heard! How is it pronounced?

My grandmother, who never left Milwaukee, Wisconsin, also used the word "parlor".

Old 10-01-2018, 11:58 AM

419 posts, read 127,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
My mother was born in Iowa, and she used to call it a "davenport," too. She also called the living room "the front room" and spoke of "fixing" meals rather than cooking them or preparing them.

I live in San Francisco and have never heard anyone say "hella," but then I'm the wrong age group for that. Also, the use of "the" before a freeway number ("the I-5") is strictly a Southern California thing and not done here unless you want to advertise that you're not from the Bay Area.

Old timers here have always pronounced California's Spanish city names incorrectly. San Jose is "Sanno ZAY," Los Altos is "Loss AL-tuss" and San Rafael is "San Ruh-fell." And Los Angeles is "Loss AN-jellis." When TV and radio weather forecasters from elsewhere come here, you can always tell because they pronounce the names correctly, as a Spanish speaker would. If you grew up in the Bay Area as I did, it just sounds wrong.
Yeah, people still call couches "Davenports" in Iowa. I just thought that was a couch brand back in the day and never realized that they made couches in Davenport, and that was a heavily regional thing. I definitely use the term.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:45 PM

29 posts, read 20,142 times
Gum-bands... it's a rubber band to everyone else unless you're from Pittsburgh, then its a Gum-band.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:01 PM

61 posts, read 20,899 times
West Virginia:

Crick - Creek

Holler - Hollow

Catbird - ???

Muddin' - Drive vehicles (usually 4x4) through mud without any discernable destination in mind for the thrill of... mud

Old 10-01-2018, 02:32 PM
BMI

7,261 posts, read 4,494,437 times
y’all screams Texas to me....

I know a bunch of posters will say “no you’re wrong it’s the entire south”...
yeah, some non-Texan southerns say it too ....but not as much in Texas.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:44 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
y’all screams Texas to me....

I know a bunch of posters will say “no you’re wrong it’s the entire south”...
yeah, some non-Texan southerns say it too ....but not as much in Texas.
eeeeeeeeh Urban blacks all over the US say it the most. So if you wanna get technical...

Old 10-01-2018, 03:09 PM

4,214 posts, read 2,503,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's a good one! Cougars, aka mountain lions, and 38 other terms, have more names in English than any other animal, depending on region. With 40 different terms used, the cougar has more names than any other animal in the world.

Mountain Lion FAQ and Facts

I grew up hearing my Arkansas relatives call them "catamounts" but my Texas husband calls them "panthers." I think some people mix up cougars and bob cats.
Really? Are you sure you're not thinking about a lynx and a bobcat? Mountain lions and bobcats are nothing alike.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:15 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,164,259 times
"Yins"- Pittsburgh (?)

"Blacktop" MO Ozarks

"runnin' the roads...." Rural Mississippi

"Carry me somewhere....." drive me somewhere....another MS thang

"Yeast donuts".....MS...that's Glazed for everyone else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.