U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 08:54 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,057,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I haven't. I would like to meet these people.

I've heard people in Montana call thunder "thunder boomers". It was also the first place I'd heard a truck cap called a "topper".
If you are talking about the metal covering some people put over their pickup truck beds, I've always heard it called a "topper" but never a "truck cap"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 09:11 PM

11,061 posts, read 6,205,674 times
Interchangeably use shopping/grocery cart.

We have a local Dunkin Donuts but I don't go there very much. However, the last time I went, got a smores donut, a cup of coffee and a gift card. The donut wasn't all that bad though.

The only KK donuts I've eaten, were from boxes brought into the office. Not sure at that time where they got them. Some time thereafter, I noticed there was a KK at bottom floor of Union Station in Wash., DC. The best glazed donuts I had were from a bakery across from a metro stop at Waterfront Plaza. I think they were freshly made around that time too. Those were some huge, soft, melt in the mouth, glazed donuts.

Another interesting thread going on: Food and drink forum, This Map Shows the 'most' Hated Foods In America.

Last edited by cat1116; 10-02-2018 at 09:19 PM..

Old 10-02-2018, 09:34 PM

11,061 posts, read 6,205,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I haven't. I would like to meet these people.

I've heard people in Montana call thunder "thunder boomers". It was also the first place I'd heard a truck cap called a "topper".
Oh, no. I picked that up too fairly recently. Trying to remember who I might know from Montana
Maybe I picked it up from someone that said it in a tv show or news/weather report even though we're no where near the state of Montana.

I still remember a company commander who would say/pronounce the word iron like ARN. I think she was from the western end of PA.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:50 AM

44,947 posts, read 36,237,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I never hear "yeast donuts" in the Midwest/Chicago area, either, except when bakers say it to distinguish them from donuts that don't use yeast.

In my area, people usually say "cake donuts" for dense, crumbly ones, and simply "donuts" for soft, pillowy ones (like Krispy Kremes). "Glazed donuts" is used only as a descriptor for any donuts with glaze on them.
Same here.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:51 AM

44,947 posts, read 36,237,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
If you are talking about the metal covering some people put over their pickup truck beds, I've always heard it called a "topper" but never a "truck cap"!
I've never heard either of those. I've only heard "shell" or "camper shell."

Old 10-03-2018, 11:43 AM

428 posts, read 129,965 times
I've only heard the term "topper" to describe this thing

Old 10-03-2018, 12:34 PM

8,345 posts, read 14,108,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I never hear "yeast donuts" in the Midwest/Chicago area, either, except when bakers say it to distinguish them from donuts that don't use yeast.

In my area, people usually say "cake donuts" for dense, crumbly ones, and simply "donuts" for soft, pillowy ones (like Krispy Kremes). "Glazed donuts" is used only as a descriptor for any donuts with glaze on them.
There is a local donut shop in Indianapolis known for their "yeast donuts". If someone asks for yeast donuts in Indianapolis, the general expectation is that you went to Long's Bakery and get yeast donuts.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:48 PM

1,231 posts, read 510,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've never heard either of those. I've only heard "shell" or "camper shell."
Ditto. Sometimes Iíve heard the term camper shell for just a regular shell, not just a camper. Iíve never heard topper until today.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:28 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 24 days ago)

8,720 posts, read 10,854,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
My grandmother, who never left Milwaukee, Wisconsin, also used the word "parlor".
The lady next to us in Upstate NY used that word in the 70's I guess it was--"Let's go sit in the parlor." It was Supper (not dinner), couch (not sofa) and spaghetti (no one ever said Pasta!). Gravy must have been in the Boroughs of NY--Tony Soprano used to say it. We never did!

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 10-03-2018 at 02:41 PM..

Old 10-03-2018, 08:20 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,057,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Oh, no. I picked that up too fairly recently. Trying to remember who I might know from Montana
Maybe I picked it up from someone that said it in a tv show or news/weather report even though we're no where near the state of Montana.

I still remember a company commander who would say/pronounce the word iron like ARN. I think she was from the western end of PA.
Then there's those people who pronounce the work iron as uy-run. Not sure where they are from. NYC area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.