U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 08:35 PM

632 posts, read 286,012 times

Advertisements

If someone calls you couillon, you know you are in southwestern Louisiana.

If someone says, that's a wicked pissah, you know they are from eastern New England, as in Nantucket Island, Maine...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 10:47 AM

21,159 posts, read 11,768,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Then there's those people who pronounce the work iron as uy-run. Not sure where they are from. NYC area?
Nope, definitely not a NYC thing. I mean, maybe someone there says it that way, but it's not the norm.

I'd say more likely a non-native English speaker, sounding it out phonetically.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:12 AM

24,980 posts, read 23,891,412 times
Default Is there an English dialect where iron is pronounced 'eye-ron'?

Quote:
Then there's those people who pronounce the work iron as uy-run. Not sure where they are from. NYC area?
No particular area.

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-an-En...ounced-eye-ron

Old 10-04-2018, 11:21 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,503,558 times
Quote:
If you are talking about the metal covering some people put over their pickup truck beds, I've always heard it called a "topper" but never a "truck cap"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I've only heard the term "topper" to describe this thing
So perhaps it's Ohio that's the odd man out calling it a cap? When you grow up in an area you assume everyone does things your way. I thought Montanans were weird for saying topper.

For the record, I used to point out to said Montanans that the truck part in question does in fact say cap (I don't remember where). Nowhere does it say topper. I wish I could find a pic.

In my defense, Leer is probably the most popular cap manufacturer and they call it a cap . (They throw in topper for the rest of you but they're all listed under the category TRUCK CAPS)

Truck Caps, Toppers, Camper Shells & Tonneau Covers by LEER | Fiberglass

Old 10-04-2018, 01:14 PM

232 posts, read 70,797 times
A term which I have heard used in Chicago is 'viaduct.' It refers to a railroad bridge or railroad overpass when the railroad crosses over city streets. I don't know if this use of the word in this context is present in other places.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:58 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,724,856 times
Quote:
The only people I hear say y'all outside the South are black people. (Oh yeah, I guess one time at a restaurant in far Southern Indiana, a waiter said to me "Y'all want rah?". But then his thick Southern accent told me he wasn't from Indiana anyway. BTW, I finally figured out he was asking me if I wanted *rye* bread with my meal. )
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
A term which I have heard used in Chicago is 'viaduct.' It refers to a railroad bridge or railroad overpass when the railroad crosses over city streets. I don't know if this use of the word in this context is present in other places.
Viaduct is used all over the UK, and definitely in New York and Pennsylvania, as well.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:56 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,150,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
So perhaps it's Ohio that's the odd man out calling it a cap? When you grow up in an area you assume everyone does things your way. I thought Montanans were weird for saying topper.

For the record, I used to point out to said Montanans that the truck part in question does in fact say cap (I don't remember where). Nowhere does it say topper. I wish I could find a pic.

In my defense, Leer is probably the most popular cap manufacturer and they call it a cap . (They throw in topper for the rest of you but they're all listed under the category TRUCK CAPS)

Truck Caps, Toppers, Camper Shells & Tonneau Covers by LEER | Fiberglass
I don’t know what those things on trucks are called, but around here “a topper” is what you ask the waiter for when you want your coffee or drink refilled/topped off.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:00 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Oh, no. I picked that up too fairly recently. Trying to remember who I might know from Montana
Maybe I picked it up from someone that said it in a tv show or news/weather report even though we're no where near the state of Montana.

I still remember a company commander who would say/pronounce the word iron like ARN. I think she was from the western end of PA.
Yes, she probably was from way western PA.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:36 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,453,867 times
St. Louisans have a distinct way of pronouncing some words. Prime examples are “fark” for fork, “farty” for forty, and “warsh” for wash.
In St. Louis, carbonated soft drinks are sodas. Pops is a night club.
“T-ravs” are a favorite local appetizer. (Ravioli deep fried and served with marinara sauce.)
The phrase “float trip” is frequently used in Missouri and Illinois..not sure if it’s restricted to this region though.
Someone previously mentioned “Hoosier” as a synonym for redneck. Well, sort of. In decades past, the term was often part of the phrase “South Side Hoosier”. This referred to a St Louisan, usually from the south side, who typically “astroturfed” their front porch; who might “Jerry-rig” things in their home to work without actually repairing them; who would barbecue pork steaks out on their front lawn; and who would enjoy a game of “warshers” and some “Buds”.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:43 PM

5,858 posts, read 14,044,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Interesting! Another similar mispronunciation is "col-yum" for column. Probably another non-dilaectical gaffe.

One that drives me nuts that I know is not regional dialect is "eck-cetra" for etcetera (etc.). I hear that in many areas of the country. Also, didn't = "d'int", wouldn't = "wou'nt" and the like. I hear this even on the media among well-educated professional broadcasters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.