U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 11:22 AM

571 posts, read 568,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Hella = Bay Area
And "hella" found its way up to Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 12:30 PM

4,633 posts, read 2,784,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Jawn, hoagie, wudder/wudder ice, the iggles, wiz, wit, boul, youse and the Shore are all dead giveaways for Philly and it's surrounding areas.
Also no one outside the Philly area really knows what scrapple is.

I had buddy from northern Virginia one time say "Isn't a hoagie basically like a pierogi?" I always thought that was funny.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:56 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,403,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

I had buddy from northern Virginia one time say "Isn't a hoagie basically like a pierogi?" I always thought that was funny.
ah scrapple. I grew up in North/Central Jersey but my mom's side of the family is from Philly. Lots of fond memories of eating scrapple with my grandparents.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:09 PM

7,742 posts, read 6,146,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

Scrapple is known in the Baltimore area. I don't like it personally, but my grandfather eats it.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:18 PM

4,995 posts, read 7,313,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Scrapple is known in the Baltimore area. I don't like it personally, but my grandfather eats it.
When I went to philly for work, someone suggested I try scrapple at a diner we were at. It....was interesting... can't say I liked it, but I also didn't dislike it. It was an odd experience.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:20 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,436,967 times
Default boredatwork

Who doesnt say "yall" outside of the south. Even New Yorkers say yall.

DC is too easy from the use of local slang. But we also use national slang, I know in DC area"whoadie" and "Wazam" is used as a cognitive reference to NO. Baltimore also says "Whoa" i guess short for wharday. We also say "knolmtalmbout" real fast as a reference to Houston. I know I say "whats the bizness" everytime I answer the phone like Memphis.

Easy to tell if someone is from the DC area of they call you "Bob, young, or Moe.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:44 PM

4,633 posts, read 2,784,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
When I went to philly for work, someone suggested I try scrapple at a diner we were at. It....was interesting... can't say I liked it, but I also didn't dislike it. It was an odd experience.
Lol yeah.. I think most of us just stick with bacon or sausage.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:48 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,309,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Oh, another one: idea pronounced like "idear" = northeast.

My wife's former boss talked that way and she picked it up for a while.. drove me nuts.
Really? I'm from the Northeast and never knew anyone that said this. This would annoy me greatly. I would move across the country.

I always thought that was Country/Southern thing.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:07 PM

1,812 posts, read 1,169,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
The best I ever heard of any place was in Long Island they would say Usezzzzz guys for you guys and Utes for Youths although more of an accent than a saying it is still funny to me, I miss it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu8tX2BAD1k

Old 05-05-2017, 05:40 PM

3,029 posts, read 2,464,462 times
Pointing to your hometown on your right hand is a sign that you're from Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.