U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2017, 12:16 AM

4,342 posts, read 7,416,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Really? I'm from the Northeast and never knew anyone that said this. This would annoy me greatly. I would move across the country.

I always thought that was Country/Southern thing.
The entire Kennedy clan spoke this way to the extreme. If you listen to old footage of JFK or any of them you will hear it immediately. I also heard it almost constantly when we visited Boston a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 05:42 AM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
The entire Kennedy clan spoke this way to the extreme. If you listen to old footage of JFK or any of them you will hear it immediately. I also heard it almost constantly when we visited Boston a few years ago.
Yes, it's more specifically New England than northeast, but not everywhere in New England.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:26 AM

44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
"Fixin' to" - the south (esp. Texas). Quite possibly the most annoying regional vernacular ever. Instead of "fixin' to" do something just ******* do it!
It's actually "fidna" as in "I'm fidna go to the store," and it means "I'm about to go to the store," or "I'm getting ready to go to the store," so it's a bit more accurate than "I'm going to the store," which could mean today, tomorrow, whatever. When someone is fidna go to the store, they are leaving very shortly! But not quite yet.

I don't actually say it but it's never occurred to me to be irritated by it. It's just a colloquialism. But I'm not generally irritated by local customs or colloquialisms.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:29 AM

12,193 posts, read 10,407,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
And "hella" found its way up to Seattle
Must be all the transplants

Old 05-06-2017, 06:31 AM

44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Texas;

"Basket" for shopping cart
"Slugbug" for punch buggy
"Billfold" for wallet
All sodas are called "coke" except for "Dr. Pepper"
I just want to point out that my native Texan husband says "wallet," and " cart" - and calls VW "bugs" - well, VW Bugs. And soda, soda. As do the majority of people I know around here in northeast Texas. I actually don't recall ever hearing anyone say "billfold" or "basket" but I do very occasionally hear someone say "cokes" instead of "sodas." Not saying those terms might be more common in other parts of Texas - this is, after all, a very large state.

The thing is, I bet we could find some research somewhere that shows that Texans in general much prefer Coke over Pepsi or RC cola.

You are absolutely right about Dr Pepper - that Texas classic flavor!

Old 05-06-2017, 07:59 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,529,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
LOLZ. Here are two more...

"elastic" for a rubber band
"spa" for a convenience store
Carriage for shopping cart
Rotary for traffic circle
Cellar and Basememt are synonyms
Bull**** as an emotion (he was bull****)
Statie for state police.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:34 AM

3,475 posts, read 4,369,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Leaving "to be" out of sentences where it should be. Like "the refrigerator needs replaced". Indiana thing, I think.
I had a boss from Pittsburgh who used that type of construction all the time. I thought it was common in the South as well, but maybe not. (The Pittsburgh accent often sounds to me like a very refined southern accent. I find it pleasant.)

Old 05-06-2017, 04:24 PM

24,961 posts, read 23,873,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Carriage for shopping cart
Rotary for traffic circle
Cellar and Basememt are synonyms
Bull**** as an emotion (he was bull****)
Statie for state police.
Cellar, Bull.. and Statie are used in PA, too.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:15 PM

Location: L'Enfant D.C. near the southern end of the megalopolis
39 posts, read 22,532 times
"Po'boy" for a type of sandwich - New Orleans
"Trainers" are sneakers/tennis shoes in Washington State, IIRC, compared to "sneakers" in the Northeast
Intrusive r's belong in New York and eastern New England
Strange, Canadian-like pronunciations of words like "about" and "house" can be found in Maryland and Virginia
In parts of the Upper Midwest, "kitty-corner" is used instead of "catercorner"
In Baltimore, people have a way of changing making certain "o" sounds to be closer to a short "u" in words like job, blog, dog, frog
Around Hampton Roads I've heard people use the word "wellin' " to say someone is lying

Old 05-06-2017, 11:22 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,146,115 times
NYC Area:
Standing on line instead of in line.
A fast food or deli cashier will ask "stay or to go?" Instead of "for here or to go?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.