Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 04:08 PM

22 posts, read 38,089 times

Advertisements

Hello! The last time I posted on these boards was briefly in I think 2008-- a young, single, gay early 20's guy from Orlando, Florida visiting the west coast at the time (and I loved my journey from San Diego up to Seattle btw). It was Autumn time. October. My favorite month of the year (though often not here in Florida). I am trying to figure out the best state to move my family of two (plus dogs), and enjoy a new beginning in 1-2 years.

Present day:

-34 year old psych nurse (psychiatric NP end goal). Partner also a nurse, specialty is still TBD.
-No longer single, dating life no longer super relevant to me. (Concept of children still debated)
-STILL HATE about 9 months of the year in Florida...
-February to May is my pollen season in Florida (and I suppose most of the south)-- where Oak trees make life nearly unlivable unless it rains for days on end until the pollen has stopped (mid May usually, though the season seems to be getting longer..and hotter). It's like having a flu that never ends, really.
-Once pollen is over, we enter right back into 80's, 90's, 100's.. with that "real feel" temperature added in from humidity. This lasts until sometimes... November now-a-days. I'm always hoping the Florida "Fall" will kick in so I can feel my "halloween spirit" in October... I am frequently let down as the years go by.

So essentially, if i'm lucky -- October, November, and December (piece of January?) is the only time I am comfortable stepping outside here in central Florida.

Dislikes:

- HUMIDITY is probably unyielding hatred #1. I don't want to be in a sauna and have clothes
sticking to me for walking to the car.
- High temperatures in general. 85+ for me is generally disliked all year round. I'm happiest in the 50's to
mid 70's F.
- Extreme sub zero or 6 months of frozen. Having lived in Florida most of my life, I'm pretty sure it would
be very hard for me to adapt to say -- Minnesota's climates. Which is a shame, because I think it's very
pretty there.
- lack of distinct seasons, particularly Fall.
- lack of any motivation for holidays i.e. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter because Florida is
mostly Summer year round (give or take a month here and there). Having a "White Christmas" a few
times in my life would be nice.
- lack of geography. Completely flat lands as far as the eye can see, does not interest me.
- swamp lands/gators/humidity part 2: (goodbye most of the south east)
- Extreme rural. Feeling disconnected from where arts/culture/orchestras and shows travel to isn't my bag.
If I need a plane to attend an event or conference, it's too far from civilization for me.
- Extreme Urban. -- NYC is not for me. That's too much. I'm a stepford hell person. I actually like suburbs
20-30 minutes away from the ground zero of a metro area. I can raise a family, then.
- Apartment living/Condo living in those super urban areas. (I am not fully against condos, but that makes
having big dogs more difficult).
- Horrendous traffic and commutes (I am aware everyone will say that any given city has the worst traffic).
- The deep south (though much of it is pretty!)
- Average home values in the millions... (Kind of blows up northern California, another shame).

- 4 seasons! If there's a place with a longer Autumn/Fall than other places, that's good. Snow is fine for a
little bit, not for 5-9 months buried and shoveling though.
- If not 4 seasons, close to it? Moderated distinct changes? Or ability to drive to winter perhaps not too far
away
- Pro nurse states (pay in Florida, and the south in general is not very good here for RN's). States that
love and care about mental health are great, since I generally have to work where there's psych
facilities.
Eventually outpatient practice in psychiatry.
- Night time. I am a night shift worker, and a natural born night owl! -- Mostly for the sake of eating, I
prefer areas where the entire region doesn't shut down at 8-9 pm.
- Craftsmen/modern houses (with yards/backed up onto nature like near a creek etc.)
- Creeks/streams/rivers/brooks. I enjoy being able to frolick in shallow, clear bodies of water if that makes
sense. I love waterfalls and springs, things that make me want to go outside. Not a beach goer, don't
hang out on the ocean ever. It's fine to look at though. Coastal cities are nice.
- Hiking/camping (Ever camped in Florida? It's... not ideal. These aren't even "forests", they're
underbrush and swamps with huge mosquitoes)
- Lack of oak trees for a less horrifying allergy season. Fall and Winter means no pollen = great!
- Driving in my own car. I'm not against public transportation, but I'm fine not having tons of it, and
getting myself around.
- No regressive, super conservative political atmosphere and religion. Obviously gay friendly states/cities.
- Nice suburbs with metros close enough to go play in, or to avoid if you don't want any part of what's
going on that week.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

TLDR: Where should I move?! I love other's opinions and polling advice. I've looked at every corner of the map, and always talk myself out of everything for one reason or another. I was gung-ho Seattle/Washington state for so long, then people just keep beating me down with endless negativity about the PNW (most recently, is how Oregon and Washington will now be covered with fire smoke every summer from now on). South is mostly a bust for me, and Colorado's elevations might be rough. I have about another year in Orlando, then I need to make a decision. Two nursing salaries isn't bad, but also not rich either.. Can't have million dollar mortgages presently.

At the very least, suggest a state with distinct seasons, lack of terrible humidity, and no more oppressive endless summer. Otherwise, I can and will stay indoors all year long with the A/C...as I have done for most of my life...

Sorry for long post. I've just been trying to leave Florida for most of my life, real estate market locked me in another decade after the crash of 07'. Thanks to anyone who wishes to wade into this. I will converse back if there's conversation. I don't just disappear if you respond!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 04:48 PM

511 posts, read 393,962 times
Portland sounds like a good fit.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:05 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,976,569 times
Look at the area that stretches between Sacramento, CA---Lake Tahoe (CA & NV)---Reno, NV. There is an elevation in topography starting from Sacramento (way too hot for you to live in with triple digits for much of summer, but maybe okay for a work commute)and as you go to Lake Tahoe, towns with higher elevation that get seasons and dusting of snow, up to full winter at Lake Tahoe (half in CA, half in NV) and then down again to Reno, which has seasons but doesn't get too hot and usually just not more than 8-9 degrees below freezing. Reno is becoming one of the new desirable places for people leaving California.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:15 PM

Portland, Oregon is definitely one I'm looking at! Income tax seems so high though at 10%, wow!

@nightlysparrow I will look into this stretch between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe. Is there a suburb in particular between Reno and Sacramento you can think of that you recommend or just the whole stretch in general? Which state would I technically live in? California or Nevada?

Keep suggestions coming, anyone! Those of you with experience in anywhere in the U.S. outside of Florida, honestly. People have almost sold me on Asheville, North Carolina a couple times but it's still pretty deep south and pretty rurally located.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:59 AM

8,452 posts, read 14,976,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanntis View Post
Portland, Oregon is definitely one I'm looking at! Income tax seems so high though at 10%, wow!

Which state would I technically live in? California or Nevada?
Then look at the Nevada side of Tahoe, or Reno, as Nevada has NO income tax. California has very high taxes.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:51 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,451,056 times
Asheville, NC would would seem to be a good fit. Our permanent home is 1.5 hours to the east of Asheville and I know the area extremely well. Love visiting there on day trips. The city of Asheville itself is pretty expensive (relatively speaking), but just outside of the city limits and surrounding suburban areas is a good bit more affordable. Still much more affordable than the west coast. The city of Asheville is liberal, the outer areas more conservative. They all get along fine. I am a devout Christian and Independent Conservative. Pretty much anywhere you go, if you're live-and-let-live, you'll get that back. NC and the South is no different. Trust me. There's lots of false stereotyping here on C-D about the South and it's sad. We travel extensively and you've got your good and bad in ANY state, Liberal/Conservative, doesn't matter. With most people of any type, if people are kind, friendly, not require everyone to believe like them, ignore the media and politicians, and not stereotype others, people get along really well. Anyway, no matter where you guys end up, good luck and hope you find the place that's just right.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Asheville, NC would would seem to be a good fit. Our permanent home is 1.5 hours to the east of Asheville and I know the area extremely well. Love visiting there on day trips. The city of Asheville itself is pretty expensive (relatively speaking), but just outside of the city limits and surrounding suburban areas is a good bit more affordable. Still much more affordable than the west coast. The city of Asheville is liberal, the outer areas more conservative. They all get along fine. I am a devout Christian and Independent Conservative. Pretty much anywhere you go, if you're live-and-let-live, you'll get that back. NC and the South is no different. Trust me. There's lots of false stereotyping here on C-D about the South and it's sad. We travel extensively and you've got your good and bad in ANY state, Liberal/Conservative, doesn't matter. With most people of any type, if people are kind, friendly, not require everyone to believe like them, ignore the media and politicians, and not stereotype others, people get along really well. Anyway, no matter where you guys end up, good luck and hope you find the place that's just right.
Thanks for the response march2!

I will continue to leave Asheville on the "list". I have at leas 2 friends that say they love and cherish it specifically, but those friends consider acres of country on a massive farm with cows , chickens and goats to be the dream. haha. I definitely need metro nearby-ish. I agree about the stereotypes everywhere. I've experienced some discrimination living in the South for sure, and I'm honestly not always comfortable walking around and holding hands in Orlando (there's a fear of getting mugged that someone in San Francisco would never even think twice about for example). It'd be nice to not have to worry about just being myself, you know?

Anyone have any input on states like slightly upstate new york? Or MA, CT, New Hampshire?? VT and NH seem extremely rural and near nothing though. What about Pennsylvania? 4 seasons? major metros in multiple directions? How about Maryland or near D.C.? Virginia side? Maryland side? So many choices, so many demands...

Old 08-28-2018, 06:35 AM

26,954 posts, read 43,460,630 times
I too live in the Orlando (I'm also a gay male) and completely get the "escape from hell" scenario in terms of weather and other aspects. I too would also heavily recommend Asheville and know you can find a suburban feel minus rural acreage inside Asheville, as well as just out of the city limits. I'm a big fan of the south side, or South Asheville as it's known. There are tons of amenities in the area (great grocery stores like Earth Fare or Ingles and some very good restaurant options), especially along the Hendersonville Road/Sweeten Creek Road corridors which have many varying styles of housing ranging from historic to pre-war/post-war and new construction.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I too live in the Orlando (I'm also a gay male) and completely get the "escape from hell" scenario in terms of weather and other aspects. I too would also heavily recommend Asheville and know you can find a suburban feel minus rural acreage inside Asheville, as well as just out of the city limits. I'm a big fan of the south side, or South Asheville as it's known. There are tons of amenities in the area (great grocery stores like Earth Fare or Ingles and some very good restaurant options), especially along the Hendersonville Road/Sweeten Creek Road corridors which have many varying styles of housing ranging from historic to pre-war/post-war and new construction.
I've been looking more at Asheville, and I'm seeing the average humidity there in NC is sometimes higher than Orlando?! That's unfortunate. I agree it's a beautiful place but I really do need to get far away from any place where humidity is in the 70's, 80's, 90's for more than a few days.. My other complaint with Asheville is the closest metro area is Atlanta and that's 4 hours away. I'm afraid this is too rural for me.

Anyone have any thoughts on New York (not manhattan proper), but Long Island or perhaps the Rockland county area across the Hudson river 30-40 mins away from the city)? Been looking at that area today.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:33 PM

20,754 posts, read 9,373,767 times
Anywhere east of the Great Plains is going to be humid and have oak trees. Sounds like the only place that will fit your criteria is in the NW quarter of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.