U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 07:21 PM

5,722 posts, read 8,788,278 times

Advertisements

What! no one has mentioned Asheville yet? Its contract must have expired.

Lots of mentions of Nashville but for an affordable location???
Since Nashville is facing a lawsuit over their affordable housing initiative, they might rethink promoting themselves so hard.

You'll continue to hear about Chattanooga and while it has a lot going for it, remember the OP will be wanting a good school system in 2-3 years. Some of its suburbs will meet that need, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 09:36 PM

6,804 posts, read 11,800,721 times
Woodland, CA:

A small rural farming community about 20 minutes from Sacramento and 90 minutes from San Francisco. So you get the benefits of small town living and have two large cities to run to if you occasionally need some big city amenities. I can't speak for the critter situation but I lived in Davis south of Woodland and we had somewhat of a rat and cockroach problem but nothing major. You can also consider Davis but its cost of living is like 50% higher than Woodland.

Abilene, TX:

Somewhat larger than Woodland but further from major metro areas (closest is Dallas, about 2 hours away.) Cost of living is maybe 75% of Woodland's and the job market might be a little better. The critter situation is probably worse though (I hear there are giant spiders and rattlesnakes but it shouldn't be a problem if you live in a fairly populated part of town.)

Lubbock, TX:

Similar to Abilene but a bit trendier.

Carson City, NV:

The state capital of Nevada, albeit a small town. I'm not sure how cold it gets in the winter and/or if it gets a lot of snow but it's pretty warm in the summer.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:23 AM

44 posts, read 30,221 times
I think I have decided on Washington rather that going south. Anyone have any suggestions on towns in western WA?

Old 05-09-2017, 09:29 AM

6,804 posts, read 11,800,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb2315 View Post
I think I have decided on Washington rather that going south. Anyone have any suggestions on towns in western WA?
Vancouver, WA? It's a suburb of Portland and you can take advantage of both the zero sales tax of OR and zero income tax of WA which may help keep your cost of living down. It's no small town but it's no bustling city either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or