Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 08:18 AM

44 posts, read 44,628 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I'm currently from upstate NY in the Adirondacks and as beautiful as it is here, I just want a change. Problem is I've never really traveled or had any knowledge of what else is out there, so I'm hoping someone can help me based on what I'm looking for.

I'm a 22 year old single mom of a 2 year old and sell insurance for a living through one of the major companies. Likely anywhere I move will have an agent I can transfer to so I'm not really limited as far as jobs go but since I work on commission I would like to go somewhere where I can actually make money in insurance. I'd like to find somewhere that's warm most of the time, I can handle a little winter and snow but less the better. I'd like somewhere that is fairly low cost of living, or at least where my salary will match up with expenses and still be able to save something. Schools aren't a huge concern currently, but daycare centers are. Lower crime rates are also better as I am on my own. I've always wanted to live in somewhat of a small town, but am not open to having to drive over 25 minutes to the nearest store. I wouldn't be opposed to a bigger city either though. Also a big concern is critters, I don't want giant spiders or lizards running around my house.

So far, I have been looking at a few places. Sioux Falls in South Dakota seems like a good place to live, however doesn't seem like a huge change from where I am now and has harsh winters. Washington state is beautiful, I'm just not sure where there I'd go and some parts seem to have a higher cost of living.

Any help with finding a place is truly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 08:45 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
SD and WA aren't going to provide an area where it's warm most of the time. Given the nature of your work which requires some semblance of affluence and disposable income I would look to growing cities where population demand for your services are increasing as well. Crime rates aren't a useful statistic you'll find as you look around as even the cities with the highest rates tend to have crime very segmented in areas you would never live in and most likely find no reason to visit. For work opportunity, climate and cost of living I would recommend places like Charlotte NC-Rock Hill SC, Raleigh-Cary NC, Charleston-North Charleston-Summerville SC, Nashville-Franklin-Murfreesboro TN or Marietta-Alpharetta GA (the booming northern suburbs of Atlanta).

Old 05-04-2017, 09:13 AM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Perhaps some TX and FL metros would also work for you. Here is a list and some of the areas on it may be a good place to start: The Nation's Strongest Metros For Finance & Insurance Jobs - Emsi

Another more recent list: https://www.greatinsurancejobs.com/a...pportunities-/

For others looking for insurance jobs: https://www.greatinsurancejobs.com/a...nsurance-jobs/

Old 05-04-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps some TX and FL metros would also work for you. Here is a list and some of the areas on it may be a good place to start: The Nation's Strongest Metros For Finance & Insurance Jobs - Emsi
Not so much anymore as cities like Miami, Orlando, Houston and Austin are no longer "cheap" and lead the nation in terms of income inequality (average salary to average rent).

Old 05-04-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not so much anymore as cities like Miami, Orlando, Houston and Austin are no longer "cheap" and lead the nation in terms of income inequality (average salary to average rent).
Good point......Man, this is tough unless the OP can deal with areas like Omaha or Des Moines outside of those previously mentioned.

What about Jacksonville or Dallas?

Old 05-04-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good point......Man, this is tough unless the OP can deal with areas like Omaha or Des Moines outside of those previously mentioned.

What about Jacksonville or Dallas?
Jacksonville would work as it along with Tampa-St Petersburg are really it in terms of truly affordable major cities in FL. Dallas is quite expensive and while Omaha and Des Moines aren't, I would worry a bit about them as being a good fit for a 22 year old single woman from the Northeast US.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Jacksonville would work as it along with Tampa-St Petersburg are really it in terms of truly affordable major cities in FL. Dallas is quite expensive and while Omaha and Des Moines aren't, I would worry a bit about them as being a good fit for a 22 year old single woman from the Northeast US.
Well, if she is coming from the Adirondack region of NY, Des Moines and Omaha would be relatively big.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:47 PM

I should throw in FL is probably not an option as the company I work for won't sell homeowners insurance there so it would limit my income significantly.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:06 PM

I have also looked into Georgia and Tennessee as possible options but am not sure as far as specific towns

Old 05-04-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb2315 View Post
I have also looked into Georgia and Tennessee as possible options but am not sure as far as specific towns
Metro Atlanta and Nashville would be great options for your age and career opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.