U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 11:51 AM

571 posts, read 567,625 times

Advertisements

Until Chicago fixes or at least decreases its crime, it cannot be in the conversation for the "Greatest" American city.
The argument that crime is siloed to certain neighborhoods in completely invalid. If Chicago claims to be great, it should focus on its entire city and not just on the prosperous areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 12:42 PM

277 posts, read 98,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcomeInPeaceDolphLundgren View Post
New York City should be the real choice but Chicago or Seattle could be a good inferiority complex choice.
For starters, Seattle has 15 buildings that are over 500 feet tall. Many websites online claim that it has the most beautiful of all skylines. On average, Chicago has far taller buildings than NYC. FYI, Chicago is called the "second city" for two reason. One reason is because it rebuilt itself bigger and better than ever after it burnt to the ground. The second reason it has that nickname is because for a long time, that is until LA passed Chicago, it was the second most powerful city in not only the USA, but the entire world. The cities of Tokyo, LA, London, Paris, Seoul, did not surpass the economical might of Chicago until the late 1980's. Hong Kong has a lot more tall buildings than NYC. But, Hong Kong only has 7 million people and no metro area. Chicago still has a far larger GDP than Hong Kong or Seattle. But, Seattle has a beautiful skyline. I don't know how anyone could argue that, even if only four million people live there.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:23 PM

571 posts, read 567,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByChance View Post
For starters, Seattle has 15 buildings that are over 500 feet tall. Many websites online claim that it has the most beautiful of all skylines. On average, Chicago has far taller buildings than NYC. FYI, Chicago is called the "second city" for two reason. One reason is because it rebuilt itself bigger and better than ever after it burnt to the ground. The second reason it has that nickname is because for a long time, that is until LA passed Chicago, it was the second most powerful city in not only the USA, but the entire world. The cities of Tokyo, LA, London, Paris, Seoul, did not surpass the economical might of Chicago until the late 1980's. Hong Kong has a lot more tall buildings than NYC. But, Hong Kong only has 7 million people and no metro area. Chicago still has a far larger GDP than Hong Kong or Seattle. But, Seattle has a beautiful skyline. I don't know how anyone could argue that, even if only four million people live there.
I believe he mentioned Seattle not because of its power or influence (in which it obviously does not compare to NYC or Chicago) but more because of its overall likeability, which is arguably the highest in the country.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:37 PM

3,213 posts, read 1,543,956 times
Quote:
That persons comment was more nonsense then anything. You bringing Chicago's rebuilding a new "Second City" is true and to add to it ----> choosing NOT to build as its peer city then was. No tenement-style housing for Chicago was its call. It would build a city with alleyways, including downtown (basically none n Manhattan) and in neighborhoods separated housing became mostly standard with set-backs of homes required off main streets and downtown.

To many including I. They were great choices. The Manhattanizing of high-rise and a lot of skyscraper living in its core and up its shoreline. Proves no inferior complex need be accused. Chicago's skyline needs NOT feel inferior nor its offerings and its development is going strong today. Seattle also needs not feel inferior to any city in its development ongoing today either.

Chicagoans surely can appreciate NYC's history and status. But they need concede nothing in downtowns but sheer size. Skyline to super-tall's it lessens not its offerings and Chicago's core has plenty in amenities. Where Chicago can boast is overall cleaner, especially in its core and a more refined grit to much erased. Grittiness that is dirty. Looses points for me. Midtown just doesn't shine as it should.

I abhor gated storefronts seen in all Manhattan. Trash bags on streets has you merely overlook it. A Chicago would not get a fa'geta'bout'it by visitors if it was dirtier gritty. It would not have its core booming today in conditions as normal in many key parts of Manhattan.

So Chicago did not strive to be as NYC in building its city to feel inferior in results. It was not the entryway of the mass of immigrants NYC was.

I see no reason Chicago needs too feel inferior nor is there a complex more then defending itself to those still wanting to declare it as flyover. Nor is it truly in the running of Greatest city. Sheer size alone counts it out and no 1000 years of history under its belt some cities in the world have. But the city is DEFINATELY in a running as -- "The Quintessentially Most American City".

No one can ever call Chicago - as if a "mistake by the Lake". It makes the most of its location with always a eye on improving it.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-01-2018 at 07:10 AM..

Old 05-05-2017, 02:19 PM

1,229 posts, read 973,401 times
I don't think Chicago's skyline is taller than NY's. NYC's current top 2 tallest were finished in the last 2-4 years, so very recent.

Chicago's only built 1 over 1,000 feet since 1989 and it was a NYer who did it (Trump). NYC's built 6 over 1,000 feet since 2007.

NYC even has this concept proposed. Potentially the country's first mega tall which is 1,968 ft and above.

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/kHB...bendmain.0.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 05-05-2017 at 04:53 PM..

Old 05-05-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
I don't think Chicago's skyline is taller than NY's. NYC's current top 2 tallest were finished in the last 2-4 years, so very recent.

NYC and Chicago have the same # of buildings in the top 10 tallest, and NYC has more buildings in the top 20, top 30, etc than Chicago.

So how does Chicago have "far taller" buildings than NY?

Chicago's only built 1 over 1,000 feet since 1989 and it was a NYer who did it (Trump). NYC's built 6 over 1,000 feet since 2007.

NYC even has this proposed. It's curved due to zoning. Potentially the country's first mega tall which is 1,968 ft and above.

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/3/17/1495...aires-row-oiio
NYC skyline is far larger than Chicago overall. Chicago has 1,300 high-rises to NYC having 6,000+ high-rises. On average Chicago has taller buildings than NYC.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:03 PM

3,511 posts, read 2,969,673 times
Quote:
NYC skyline is far larger than Chicago overall. Chicago has 1,300 high-rises to NYC having 6,000+ high-rises. On average Chicago has taller buildings than NYC.
What's your source for this average? New York City has 8 buildings over 1,000 ft (with 10 more under construction, and 9 more proposed). Chicago only has 5 (with only 1 more under construction, and 1 more proposed). I could go one by one down the list, but it would be unnecessary. NYC's skyline is both larger AND taller than Chicago's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lest_buildings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ngs_in_Chicago

But back to the thread, a skyline doesn't necessarily make a city great. London is either the number one or number two city in the world, and its skyline is only now beginning to take off. There are plenty of great American cities that don't necessarily have great skylines (Washington D.C. and Los Angeles being prime examples).

Old 05-05-2017, 03:15 PM

3,213 posts, read 1,543,956 times
OMG I posted merely to say and refute... Chicago - need not have - nor has a inferiority complex and Seattle in reply to another comment on it. Others have taken it on a tangent of - size, length, girth and volume.

Who in their right mind would say another NA city has more high-rises, mid-rises or super-tall structures then NYC. I even said Chicago was not in the running as a Greatest city. Though I could point out a superior street-grid and having 90% of the city with alleys. A AWESOME Skyline and Core overall. Also could add as a plus? Some choices it made in building a city I applaud. But again, too many 1000-yr old cities in the world and of course mighty NYC and London.

I can't believe some feel now a Chicago needs to be put in its place.... if you start getting to Asian and a middle-east city in heights? Fa'geta'bout'it.

**** Also if this thread was in the World forums? You would have those arguing for other 1000-yr old cities and possibly Asian ones as Greatest.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-05-2017 at 03:43 PM..

Old 05-05-2017, 03:19 PM

To all New Yorkers.. I am sorry, I was wrong, since 2010 NYC does indeed have a taller skyline on average. My source was old and incorrect. Truly I am sorry. I Bulls.h.i.t. To much. NYC is bigger.

Check this link out!

Ultrapolis World's Twenty-Five Tallest Cities

Old 05-05-2017, 03:33 PM

Since 2010 NYC has been taller than Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or