Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 06:36 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,342,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
Yep. My thoughts exactly!

I think the Chicago area is great in a lot of ways. It's political landscape is not a 'pro' in my opinion and one of the reasons why I could never seriously consider living there (besides the winters).

Most people really aren't radicals or ideologues when it comes to their politics. So, on that basis, I could never say that Chicago was the greatest American city because in this area, it really doesn't really represent where most Americans (on the Left and the Right) really are.

Especially because Chicago is the entire reason why the state of Illinois is a solid blue state - and there's a lot of resentment in the rest of the state because of this.

I think the Great American city should be more of a "purple" city, not exclusively "red or blue", but one that actually strives to represent everyone. (Isn't that supposed to be the ideal?)

I can understand that most cities trend blue because of the sheer number of people and places that need managing. However, not all Americans live in cities, nor do they share the same values as the modern political Left. And our intellectual and political diversity is one of the huge reasons why a lot of love America. Dissent is welcome - regardless of whether it's against Trump or Obama or Bush or Clinton.

I'm not sure what city I would name as the greatest, but it's not Chicago. I tend to lean towards the MidWest or West for the location of that city. (But not LA or SF or Seattle - again, Leftist politics aren't shared by 50% of the country.....)

Just my thoughts....
Heavy on the politics there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 08:17 PM

54 posts, read 63,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
Yep. My thoughts exactly!

I think the Chicago area is great in a lot of ways. It's political landscape is not a 'pro' in my opinion and one of the reasons why I could never seriously consider living there (besides the winters).

Most people really aren't radicals or ideologues when it comes to their politics. So, on that basis, I could never say that Chicago was the greatest American city because in this area, it really doesn't really represent where most Americans (on the Left and the Right) really are.

Especially because Chicago is the entire reason why the state of Illinois is a solid blue state - and there's a lot of resentment in the rest of the state because of this.

I think the Great American city should be more of a "purple" city, not exclusively "red or blue", but one that actually strives to represent everyone. (Isn't that supposed to be the ideal?)

I can understand that most cities trend blue because of the sheer number of people and places that need managing. However, not all Americans live in cities, nor do they share the same values as the modern political Left. And our intellectual and political diversity is one of the huge reasons why a lot of love America. Dissent is welcome - regardless of whether it's against Trump or Obama or Bush or Clinton.

I'm not sure what city I would name as the greatest, but it's not Chicago. I tend to lean towards the MidWest or West for the location of that city. (But not LA or SF or Seattle - again, Leftist politics aren't shared by 50% of the country.....)

Just my thoughts....
I agree with this sentiment. What cities would you consider as contenders for the greatest?

Old 05-14-2017, 09:33 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,544,530 times
Tier Zero: European Cities

Tier 1, Paradise: NYC

Tier 2, Almost Perfection except for certain kinks: Philadelphia, Boston, DC, Chicago, Baltimore

Tier 3, Really cool and interesting cities, except for maybe have a couple issues like they're too small, you need a car live there, I have issues with some of the architecture, the overall populace is too conservative/southern/etc): San Francisco (which would've been higher without the fire), Pittsburgh, Denver, Richmond, Portland,

Tier 4, Decent cities that have a lot of issues that would keep me from living there (Similar to the issues above, but more). These would be cities I might enjoy visiting, but wouldn't want to permanently live in. Often times, they have decent old neighborhoods, but a bland, depressing downtown, or Vice versa. Other times, they're just too conservative, and not cosmopolitan enough: St Louis, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Buffalo, Seattle, Louisville, New Orleans, Twin Cities, Milwaukee, Detroit, A lot of Midwestern cities.

Tier 5, Culturally decent, but have ****ty suburban sprawl, are too Auto Centric, architecturally bland or overly modernist, etc. No real decent walk-able pre-1900 historic areas (which is a make, or break issue with me): Los Angeles, Miami, Austin, Salt Lake is somewhere around here but not for cultural reasons.

Tier 6, Pitiful, but appear to be trying to Fix themselves (though an A bomb would help alot): Charlotte, Atlanta, San Antonio.

6.5 Dallas

Tier 7, If you appreciate any of these cities you had a lobotomy: Phoenix, Houston, Oklahoma City, Corpus Christi,

Old 05-14-2017, 09:45 PM

307 posts, read 327,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post

Tier 2, Almost Perfection except for certain kinks: Philadelphia, Boston, DC, Chicago, Baltimore

Tier 3, Really cool and interesting cities, except for maybe have a couple issues like they're too small, you need a car live there, I have issues with some of the architecture, the overall populace is too conservative/southern/etc): San Francisco (which would've been higher without the fire), Pittsburgh, Denver, Richmond, Portland,

Tier 4, Decent cities that have a lot of issues that would keep me from living there (Similar to the issues above, but more). These would be cities I might enjoy visiting, but wouldn't want to permanently live in. Often times, they have decent old neighborhoods, but a bland, depressing downtown, or Vice versa. Other times, they're just too conservative, and not cosmopolitan enough: St Louis, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Buffalo, Seattle, Louisville, New Orleans, Twin Cities, Milwaukee, Detroit, A lot of Midwestern cities.

Tier 5, Culturally decent, but have ****ty suburban sprawl, are too Auto Centric, architecturally bland or overly modernist, etc. No real decent walk-able pre-1900 historic areas (which is a make, or break issue with me): Los Angeles, Miami, Austin, Salt Lake is somewhere around here but not for cultural reasons.

Tier 6, Pitiful, but appear to be trying to Fix themselves (though an A bomb would help alot): Charlotte, Atlanta, San Antonio.

6.5 Dallas

Tier 7, If you appreciate any of these cities you had a lobotomy: Phoenix, Houston, Oklahoma City, Corpus Christi,

Congrats, you just won the most insulating post of the month award.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:04 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,138,875 times
I don't see how anyone could answer anything other than NYC. If you poll Americans there will be a little debate (mostly based on their own personal love/hate for a particular city) but still the majority would likely answer NYC. If you asked non-Americans I doubt you could find many people to answer anything but NYC.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:08 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,471,700 times
New York, by a landslide.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:10 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,385,729 times
Quote:

6.5 Dallas

Ha. Well done. I used to live in CC.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:13 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,278,429 times
Quote:

6.5 Dallas

Started out well in context, but got sloppy near the end.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:08 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,098,173 times
Quote:

6.5 Dallas

Lol @ Dallas at 6.5. You have no clue what you're talking about, especially placing San Antonio above it in Tier 6 and Austin in Tier 5.... WTH? I also think you're really underselling Los Angeles.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:09 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,098,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Started out well in context, but got sloppy near the end.
It sounds like your typical CD poster -- not very well traveled, but has a lot of strong opinions about other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.