Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 08:31 AM

239 posts, read 232,183 times

Advertisements

Sorry, Chicago is a great city and the hub of the Midwest. It also has excellent educational institutions, history, and architecture. It serves as a major transportation hub with lots of train tracks ma and a huge airport that is a hub for two airlines. However, New York is the greatest American city. It has all of that and more. It is also double the size of Chicago, and it represents everything America is built on. It remains more diverse than Chicago, and it is a huge international draw. Also, every industry has a large representation in New York, which is just not the case with Chicago.

My ranking of the top/most important US cities:
New York
LA
Chicago
SF
Boston
D.C.
Miami
Houston
Atlanta
Dallas
Philadelphia

My ranking of the top/most important North American cities:
New York
LA
Toronto
Chicago
SF
Mexico City
Boston
D.C.
Miami
Montreal
Houston
Atlanta
Dallas
Philadelphia
Vancouver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 08:48 AM

403 posts, read 363,852 times
Well I live in NYC so

Old 01-14-2018, 09:19 AM

405 posts, read 476,317 times
Easily New York (bias as well) with Chicago coming in at a very close second, and Philly at a close third for me.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:58 PM

239 posts, read 232,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
I disagree. NYC's peers are London, Hong Kong and Tokyo.

For me, it's about built environment. After that,economic activity and influence. NYC is the greatest American city. Other great American cities are San Francisco, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Chicago, Boston and Philadelphia. Next tier is DC, Denver, Seattle, SLC, Portland, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Minneapolis. Then the currently distressed industrial cities: Cincinnati, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, St Louis, Milwaukee.

Most of the rest of the major urbanized areas, in my opinion, are structured as suburbs. I include Atlanta, Phoenix, Texas cities, Charlotte and Las Vegas in this group.
I really agree with this. My only comment would be:

Economically:
New York
SF
Boston
D.C.
I struggle to rank LA higher because it just does not really have a strong economic sector, and it really isn't that wealthy or well-offf
Dallas
Houston
Atlanta
Philly
Chicago

Built Environment/Diversity/Culture/Vibe:
New York
SF
Boston
LA
D.C.
Philly
Miami
Chicago

Overall:
New York
SF
Boston
LA
D.C.
Philly
Chicago

Old 01-14-2018, 08:00 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
Sorry, Chicago is a great city and the hub of the Midwest. It also has excellent educational institutions, history, and architecture. It serves as a major transportation hub with lots of train tracks ma and a huge airport that is a hub for two airlines. However, New York is the greatest American city. It has all of that and more. It is also double the size of Chicago, and it represents everything America is built on. It remains more diverse than Chicago, and it is a huge international draw. Also, every industry has a large representation in New York, which is just not the case with Chicago.

My ranking of the top/most important US cities:
New York
LA
Chicago
SF
Boston
D.C.
Miami
Houston
Atlanta
Dallas
Philadelphia

My ranking of the top/most important North American cities:
New York
LA
Toronto
Chicago
SF
Mexico City
Boston
D.C.
Miami
Montreal
Houston
Atlanta
Dallas
Philadelphia
Vancouver
I wouldn't want to live in any of those cities.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByChance View Post
For starters, Seattle has 15 buildings that are over 500 feet tall. Many websites online claim that it has the most beautiful of all skylines. On average, Chicago has far taller buildings than NYC. FYI, Chicago is called the "second city" for two reason. One reason is because it rebuilt itself bigger and better than ever after it burnt to the ground. The second reason it has that nickname is because for a long time, that is until LA passed Chicago, it was the second most powerful city in not only the USA, but the entire world. The cities of Tokyo, LA, London, Paris, Seoul, did not surpass the economical might of Chicago until the late 1980's. Hong Kong has a lot more tall buildings than NYC. But, Hong Kong only has 7 million people and no metro area. Chicago still has a far larger GDP than Hong Kong or Seattle. But, Seattle has a beautiful skyline. I don't know how anyone could argue that, even if only four million people live there.
Actually, I think Chicago was called the Second City because, for a long time, it was the second-largest in population (US).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
Tier Zero: European Cities

Tier 1, Paradise: NYC

Tier 2, Almost Perfection except for certain kinks: Philadelphia, Boston, DC, Chicago, Baltimore

Tier 3, Really cool and interesting cities, except for maybe have a couple issues like they're too small, you need a car live there, I have issues with some of the architecture, the overall populace is too conservative/southern/etc): San Francisco (which would've been higher without the fire), Pittsburgh, Denver, Richmond, Portland,

Tier 4, Decent cities that have a lot of issues that would keep me from living there (Similar to the issues above, but more). These would be cities I might enjoy visiting, but wouldn't want to permanently live in. Often times, they have decent old neighborhoods, but a bland, depressing downtown, or Vice versa. Other times, they're just too conservative, and not cosmopolitan enough: St Louis, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Buffalo, Seattle, Louisville, New Orleans, Twin Cities, Milwaukee, Detroit, A lot of Midwestern cities.

Tier 5, Culturally decent, but have ****ty suburban sprawl, are too Auto Centric, architecturally bland or overly modernist, etc. No real decent walk-able pre-1900 historic areas (which is a make, or break issue with me): Los Angeles, Miami, Austin, Salt Lake is somewhere around here but not for cultural reasons.

Tier 6, Pitiful, but appear to be trying to Fix themselves (though an A bomb would help alot): Charlotte, Atlanta, San Antonio.

6.5 Dallas

Tier 7, If you appreciate any of these cities you had a lobotomy: Phoenix, Houston, Oklahoma City, Corpus Christi,
Richmond? As of 2016, it had an MSA population of 1,263,617, making it the 44th largest MSA in the country. (Wikipedia) Richmond? It's the capital of VA, but what else does it have going on. See section on economy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Richmond_Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I'm glad it's getting a vote of confidence from Chicagoans, but the city was on the verge of bankruptcy.
Not to mention, the state of Illinois is a mess: Welcome to the dysfunction of Illinois government - Chicago Tribune "Welcome to the dysfunction of Illinois government", and the state is losing population, mostly from the Chicago metro area, since that's where most of the people in Illinois live.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...017/970782001/
"Illinois has seen residents walk away as the state's politicians have struggled to fix its finances. The state is bedeviled by a mountain of debt and unmet pension obligations —Moody's Investor's Service estimates the state has $250 billion public pension debt.

Gov. Bruce Rauner, a Republican, has been feuding with state Democrats and Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel over the best way to deal with the state's long-brewing financial crisis."

Old 01-14-2018, 08:40 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Actually, I think Chicago was called the Second City because, for a long time, it was the second-largest in population (US).

Richmond? As of 2016, it had an MSA population of 1,263,617, making it the 44th largest MSA in the country. (Wikipedia) Richmond? It's the capital of VA, but what else does it have going on. See section on economy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Richmond_Region

Not to mention, the state of Illinois is a mess: Welcome to the dysfunction of Illinois government - Chicago Tribune "Welcome to the dysfunction of Illinois government", and the state is losing population, mostly from the Chicago metro area, since that's where most of the people in Illinois live.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...017/970782001/
"Illinois has seen residents walk away as the state's politicians have struggled to fix its finances. The state is bedeviled by a mountain of debt and unmet pension obligations —Moody's Investor's Service estimates the state has $250 billion public pension debt.

Gov. Bruce Rauner, a Republican, has been feuding with state Democrats and Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel over the best way to deal with the state's long-brewing financial crisis."
Do you have a bone to pick with a state? Or city in the state for political reasons? This isn't a political forum or on states cities are in. Most Midwest and Northeastern states have lost population. My state only this year..... is said to have a tiny gain.

NYC is as blue politically as they come and by no means without its corruption. It was virtually bankrupt in the mid 70s and went so far as to cut way back most city devices. Finally, a new state governor and a pressured President Gerald Ford ..... agreed to government loans.

NYC still maintains Greatest American city ..... politics aside. But Chicago is certainly with Great value with a awesome core (that has re-evolved nicely) especially ...... that is worthy of its share of esteem.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Q 1. No. Illinois is one of eight states that lost population from 2016-2017 according to new U.S. Census Bureau estimates.

"According to this year’s state population estimate, Alaska, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Dakota, West Virginia and Wyoming all lost population between 2016 and 2017. The states that lost population between 2015 and 2016 were Connecticut, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming. . . In the latest estimates, Illinois lost the most population (33,703), followed by West Virginia (12,780), Wyoming (5,595), Louisiana (1,824), Alaska (1,727), Mississippi (1,315), Hawaii (1,145) and North Dakota (155)."
Eight States Saw Population Declines in the Last Year

Q 2. No

Who said anything about NYC?

Old 01-14-2018, 09:17 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Q 1. No. Illinois is one of eight states that lost population from 2016-2017 according to new U.S. Census Bureau estimates.

"According to this year’s state population estimate, Alaska, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Dakota, West Virginia and Wyoming all lost population between 2016 and 2017. The states that lost population between 2015 and 2016 were Connecticut, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming. . . In the latest estimates, Illinois lost the most population (33,703), followed by West Virginia (12,780), Wyoming (5,595), Louisiana (1,824), Alaska (1,727), Mississippi (1,315), Hawaii (1,145) and North Dakota (155)."
Eight States Saw Population Declines in the Last Year

Q 2. No

Who said anything about NYC?
The OP suggested Chicago. The rest of the thread overall still maintains Greatest is NYC. You went into a state financial and political argument that doesn't take away from what you attempt to do in denying Chicago its due esteem ..... even if disagreeing on Greatest. You never said what US city deserves the title? This isn't a political forum to go into a totally political comment or on states.

Just out Chicago sets new tourist record for last year over 55-million and that is city proper.

Chicago tourism numbers hit record high, topping 55 million in 2017 - Chicago Tribune

Chicago's Millennium Park now top tourist destination in the Midwest and joins Top 10 status in the US where NYC's Central Park are and DCs National Mall are ....

Millennium Park is new top Midwest visitor destination, high-tech count finds - Chicago Tribune

Old 01-14-2018, 10:36 PM

8,862 posts, read 6,865,667 times
When a park's visitor count includes everyone who takes their daily lunch hour, or walks through twice a day, the numbers will tend to be large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.