U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 01:12 PM

277 posts, read 98,656 times

Advertisements

I was a Social Science Major in college. So, this stuff fascinates me. I'm going with Chicago as the greatest American city. Yes, I was raised in the Chicagoland area, but listen to my argument and then I'll hear what you have to say. When it comes to the population of great American cities, both NYC (24 million) Los Angeles (19 million) have more inhabitance than Chicago. While other cities/urban areas, such as D.C-Baltimore (9.5 million) San Fransisco-Bay area (9 million) Greater Boston (8.5 million) come close to Chicago (9.8 million) people. The United States of America is highly urbanized and nearly 90% of Americans live in urban areas. This is the only reason why the USA can compete with nations like China. Even though China has over one billion more people than the USA, only about 50% of the populace is urbanized. Though it must be mentioned, China is rapidly developing. The city of Chicago is technically not yet considered a global Mega City. If Chicagoland starts growing again, it with easily join the list of 30+ cities with over 10+ million people. So here is my list as to why I believe Chicago is the Greatest American city, even though it is not yet even 200 years old.

- (Economy) The nearly 5 million strong work force produces an annual GDP of 700+ billion dollars of production. Chicago is the third most important economical city in the USA and the Fifth greatest globally. Over 30+ companies in the Forbes 500 are located in the Chicagoland area.

- (Education) The university of Chicago is often considered the third best university globally. Northwestern university is regularly ranked in the top ten Globally. Saint Xavier University has the best RN Nursing school in the country. Loyola University is regularly ranked in the top 100 best universities in the nation. The University of Illinois-Chicago is regularly ranked in the top 100 universities in the nation, and is classified as a "Highest Research" institution. DePaul university is the largest Private Catholic university in the nation, and is nationally ranked in the top 150 best universities in the country. Northern Illinois university (NIU) has an excellent Athletics Department, and competes at the highest level of football (FBS) and regularly plays in bowl games. At the high school level Mount Carmel on the Southside of Chicago is one of the most storied in the nation. Mount Carmel high school has Alumni that have won all four of the major league championships, (Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup, and the NBA World Title) Mount Carmel has also had several Olympic athletes.

- (Medical) Chicago has some of the most world renowned Hospitals. Both Northwestern hospital and the University of Chicago Medical Center are ranked in the top ten globally and have the best "Trauma & Critical Care" treatment worldwide. Loyola Hospital is also highly regarded as leading an excellent teaching hospital.

- (Politics) The City of Chicago is a stronghold of the Democratic Party and has earned some nicknames such as the "Chicago Machine" and the " Windy City" due to this fact. Politicians such as Barack Obama, Rahm Emmanuel, Bernie Sanders, and David Axelrod owe the beginning of their political careers to Chicago.

- (Entertainment) Even-though most of the Entertainment Industry is based in LA and NYC, the city of Chicago was once where Playboy Magazines & Media were produced. A near endless list of icons and celeberties got their start in Chicago. A lot of famous bands come from Chicago, like the Smashing Pumpkins, the band has sold over 40 million records.

- (Architecture) Chicago is the birthplace of the modern Skyscraper. Downtown Chicago has some of the tallest buildings in the world. Chicago has over 1,300 high-rises and only NYC has more in the USA with some 6,000 high-rises. Chicago still rivals NYC, Seattle, Toronto, Shanghai, Tokyo, and even Hong Kong in splendor, beauty, and size. Also, some of the most unique art can be found in Chicago in its Museums and on the street in public street level art.

- (Religion) Chicagoland has a large Catholic population, but their are also a lot Protestants and Jews in the area as well. When the Iraq war turmoil boiled over the Assyrian Church of the East relocated its patriarch to Chicago, but now it has relocated back to Iraq due to growing dissatisfaction in the Church that it left Iraq. Their are also a lot of Muslims and Hindus in the Chicago area.

So, what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 03:07 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,763,005 times
I'm not sure how this criteria gives Chicago the greatest American city. I think Chicago does encompass everything about America but those attributes are not represented in your post.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:16 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,163,299 times
I bet if they did a poll NYC would win but I would never live in NYC, Chicago or LA because I am too cheap, I want to have low taxes and be able to buy a big home with a lot of newer amenities. For me Nashville is the best city I lived in and I have lived in Boston, Long Island(NYC area), Cincinnati, San Antonio, Miami Beach, Atlanta. I moved around a lot because my dad was an army doctor.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:12 PM

3,220 posts, read 1,553,831 times
I think the Best way to put it is Chicago as "The Most American City" or The Most Quintessential American City". Once you say Greatest? It would not win enough overall vote over a LA or NYC.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:32 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,386,291 times
Chicago's cool but I'd pick New York.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:43 PM

12,591 posts, read 15,058,526 times
New York City would be my choice. Chicago or Los Angeles would be close.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:51 PM

4,142 posts, read 919,850 times
L.A. All the way!

Old 05-04-2017, 10:30 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,219,556 times
Depends on the era. If we lived in the 1920's I would say Chicago. If we lived in the 50's I would say Detroit. Now? Probably Los Angeles or New York City. I would say Washington DC is a Russian City ATM with politics, not American LOL.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:02 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,584,119 times
Why are you including the population of the metros? Suffolk County is in the NYC metro and has almost nothin to do with NYC's reputation as a city. City proper is best for comparing things like this.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:24 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,108,082 times
Obviously New York as an 'Overall'

But I think it's fascinating that all the major American cities have a legacy and an industry to define them and contribute to:
Atlanta > Capital of Logistics, Capital of the South
Boston > Capital of Education, Capital of New England
Chicago > Capital of Agriculture, Capital of the Midwest
Dallas > Capital of Transportation, Capital of the Great Plains
Detroit > Capital of the Automobile
Houston > Capital of Energy, Capital of the Gulf Coast
Los Angeles > Capital of the Arts,
Miami > Capital of the Latin Culture, Capital of the Caribbean
New York > Capital of Finance, Capital of the Mid-Atlantic
Philadelphia > Capital of Chemicals
San Francisco > Capital of Tech
Washington > Capital of Politics

Every major city is the Greatest American City in some sphere or industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or