Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 03:00 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,707,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You must be guilty of it since you felt the need to be offended.
Not even close. What some Texan has to say hasn't bothered me since the time I lived down there. You are the one who started pointing fingers at the entire North being the same. that would be like me saying the entire South was backwards and childish based on the time spent living in Texas. Neither would be true, I've traveled and lived in the South enough to know better, how long have you lived all over the North to makes such a broad (and untrue) statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 03:19 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Not even close. What some Texan has to say hasn't bothered me since the time I lived down there. You are the one who started pointing fingers at the entire North being the same. that would be like me saying the entire South was backwards and childish based on the time spent living in Texas. Neither would be true, I've traveled and lived in the South enough to know better, how long have you lived all over the North to makes such a broad (and untrue) statement?
Never, but northerners are more aggressive than southerns.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:24 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,707,199 times
Quote:
Not in my personal experience. After living both North and South, I have found Southerners to be far more aggressive.

If you don't think that is true, all one has to do is look through the North/South threads right here on C-D and take notice of when the thread degrades into a bitchfest. Usually it is right after somebody in the South starts making accusations and comments about the North without having any personal experience living up North.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:39 PM

7 posts, read 16,631 times
Quote:
Yes, that damn War of Northern Aggression. Why, I declare -- Dixie was just peacefully going about the loving business of buying and selling people when the North got all uppity and mean spirited about the whole thing.

Last edited by Cornandbeans; 10-06-2010 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: mistake

Old 10-06-2010, 03:49 PM

744 posts, read 1,305,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornandbeans View Post
Yes, that damn War of Northern Aggression. Why, I declare -- Dixie was just peacefully going about the loving business of buying and selling people when the North got all uppity and mean spirited about the whole thing.
The civil war has nothing at all to do with either of those posts, yet you bring it up. The civil war ended about 150 years ago FYI. Don't worry, I'm trying my hardest to get over it.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:05 PM

carolinablue -- fair enough. But it's funny, though, isn't it how we can't seem to get over it? It's so ugly and complex and convoluted that the US as a nation still doesn't know exactly what to do with the Civil War. I guess that's why the confederate flag thin is such a touchy topic -- so many associations, and not all of them pretty.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:10 PM

As a nation we live and we learn. It's a part of our history that shouldnt be forgotton, or used against a certain region of the country. Those who do not learn from history........The confederate flag is touchy, and will always be because it really does have completely different meanings to different people, which is understandable.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:19 PM

But how can those different meanings be a net positive for anyone? I can understand pride and independence and all that, and I realize that history is written by the victors, but there's some powerful ugly wrapped up in that flag. NC is a beautiful state; you have the outer banks, the mountains, first flight, the economic miracle of the Triangle area, great universities, a good climate. Why not forget that old flag and reflect on that aspect of southern history as something that if not painful, is at least solumn?

Old 10-06-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornandbeans View Post
But how can those different meanings be a net positive for anyone? I can understand pride and independence and all that, and I realize that history is written by the victors, but there's some powerful ugly wrapped up in that flag. NC is a beautiful state; you have the outer banks, the mountains, first flight, the economic miracle of the Triangle area, great universities, a good climate. Why not forget that old flag and reflect on that aspect of southern history as something that if not painful, is at least solumn?
Me personally, I really don't care for the flag. I don't see it too often, but when I do I usually shake my head. To some, they use it as a point of racism, but again, to others it's a point of pride. A lot of it is stubbornness, a lot of southerners that I have talked to say it's really about pride, or for others about being rebellious. To a lot of Native Americans, the American Flag is a negative thing.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:30 PM

Thanks, I guess I can't expect you to personally speak to it more than that. Well done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.