U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 08:17 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,148,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
You are a reasonable person, Bydand, and I respect your opinions.
Thank you.

Quote:
So -- without presuming to answer for Jluke (but definitely agreeing with him) -- that might be an interesting "project". That is, get a hard figure on just which "bunch" it is -- regionally speaking -- are the ones who are more likely to initate threads, and/or post comments which contain the most insulting/negative/stereotypical comments about the other.
I would be most interested in the outcome if somebody wants to dig into it. It could very well be even numbers also with those from the North noticing the Southern disparaging comments the most, and those from the South noticing the rude, uncalled for comments made by the North. It would be interesting.

Quote:
You speak of your own experience and reading. I understand that. We are all products of our own experiences and biases relative to the same. So to speak my piece, it seems to be mostly northerners who are far more likely spit out (in one form or fashion) a basic disdain/contempt for the South.
Fair enough.

Quote:
The ones who have never been to the South are bad enough (full of the blissfully ignorant myths of a horrid lynching, netherworld),
Agreed 100%. And it goes both ways as well, with Southerners who have never been to the North spouting stereotypes of rude, rushing, loud mouthed Northerners. Some here forget the North had VERY active Klan's and lynchings were not just a Southern abomination.

Quote:
but the ones who move down here, live down here, reap the milk and honey, yet never connect the dots of where they came from and why they are where they are, are the worst.
Also agree 100% with you on this point as well. I've noticed some Southerners who move North that do the same thing, I guess there are Idiots from every region who don't have the common (or uncommon now it seems) courtesy to just accept the area they now live in and S.T.F.U. about where they came from.

Quote:
Bottom line is, and I will place a bet on it. If we really could tally it up, it would be, by far, the northerers outnumbering Southerners as to just who sparks the "bitchfest"
I see the other, and would bet on it. But like I said before, it is probably how we each see the thread disintegrate and where it comes from. Most likely a dead heat on the number of morons on BOTH sides who stir a turd on every single thread that has a North/South question or observation.

Quote:
Just to say also, I think it is very telling that black Southerners are very often the staunchest partisans of the South today...
Absolutely right. I noticed that when living in TX and frankly it really took me by surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 11:58 AM

318 posts, read 761,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
I've seen plenty of confederate flags in Colorado. It's.....strange.

And midwesterners ARE hard-working. People here don't have everything handed to them on a silver spoon a la Colorado and are therefore forced to actually WORK for what they get. There's a real value of hard work here that you don't get in other places.
Just a note on this confederate flag business. What I will NEVER understand, for the life of me, is the sh*ton of flags I saw in Appleton, WISCONSIN!

Wisconsin...no joke. I've been to every state but 3, lived in 5 states, traveled the US for two years non-stop, and I have NEVER seen anything like the crapton of confederate flags I saw in Wisconsin of all places!

I remember walking by a high school graduation in 09 and there was a huge flag draped on the Neenah Rocket's statue, people were flying huge flags tied to tree branches out of their cars, and people were wearing confederate flag shirts. i remember seeing at least two trucks with flag decals as I walked by.

WTF?
Just saying.........

Old 01-18-2011, 12:21 AM

285 posts, read 555,856 times
It seems like the south and midwest are both polite, but in different ways. In the south there is more of an emphasis on manners and in the midwest it is more niceness, i.e. minnesota nice. Midwesterners aren't generally raised to say, "yes sir, no ma'am" but people are generally not as argumentative and more subtle about criticism as compared to other regions of the country.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:39 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,946,678 times
Midwesterners are quiet and non-confrontational.

As for Southerners, well all I know is that they seem to be the most likely to make obnoxious complaints about "unfriendly strangers." Something tells me they don't like quiet people, so you might consider it opposite of the Midwest.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:32 AM

5,012 posts, read 4,714,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Why is the south always affiliated with back-stabbing??? That is a issue worldwide.

When someone in the south is being nice to you; it's not called being fake. It's called manners. Southerners have no problem speaking their minds; we just try to refrain from drama and fights unlike people in the north who seem to love it.

People in the north walk around as if they have a chip on they shoulder and always trying to prove something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Sounds a lot like SEC football to me.
Chips on their shoulders? No need, the SEC has carried home the big trophy for the last 5 years.

But glad you brought it up on this thread as that is one difference between the South and Midwest- better football in the South.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:53 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,797,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Chips on their shoulders? No need, the SEC has carried home the big trophy for the last 5 years.

But glad you brought it up on this thread as that is one difference between the South and Midwest- better football in the South.
It's a big advantage with class being optional at SEC schools.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:40 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,449,908 times
I will say after attending 5 different Big Ten teams' home games and 3 SEC home games that football in the midwest typically involves less hard liquor and more beer, thus leaving people a little less violent/sloppy.

That's all I've got to say about that though, as you all know I hate the south.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:35 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
I don't think the Confederate Flag is racist, it's quite a cool design. What I do find weird is how some bikers and stuff wear the flag here in Australia! What kind of connection do they have to the US South? I honestly think non-Americans who sport it are sort of fake/want to identify with being hick/racist or something. Southerners should be proud to fly it though.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:09 AM

4,344 posts, read 7,418,374 times
I think the most glaring differences between the Midwest and the Southeast are if you compare a large city in the Midwest with a small town in the Southeast. Chicago is, for the most part, expensive, liberal, and all business. Burnt Corn, Alabama? Not so much (and yes, there really is such a place!) However, when you compare small town to small town, the similarities between the two are quite obvious. I live in a small town in SE Michigan. The people here are friendly, down to earth, and genuine. The clerks in the grocery store actually do ask you how you're doing and discuss various topics with you. People actually do let you in in traffic. There are tons of pickup trucks with gun racks, deer hunters, tobacco chewers, and Confederate flag fliers. There are also tons of Southern accents, due to the mass influx of Southerners to Michigan during the 20th century to find work in the factories and their propensity to stay and raise their families here, resulting in people of all ages with extremely strong Southern roots. Small towns here are filled with people of Swiss/German descent and are largely Protestant, and the cities, where the Polish, Hungarian, and Irish settled, are much more Catholic. The only glaring difference between small towns in the South and small towns in the Midwest, as far as I can see, is that there are virtually no blacks in the small towns up here, whereas there are a lot of rural blacks in the South. Up here, 99% of blacks live in and around large cities. You would never see a black farmer here. The farmers here are, for the most part, white, Protestant, and of German descent.

Based on what I've seen and heard when I traveled in the Southeast and from what I read here on C-D, Southerners are generally much more open to Midwesterners moving there than people from the NE/NYC/NJ area, and I think that it has to do with the fact that we tend to be much more alike culturally.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:15 AM

142 posts, read 308,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't think the Confederate Flag is racist, it's quite a cool design. What I do find weird is how some bikers and stuff wear the flag here in Australia! What kind of connection do they have to the US South? I honestly think non-Americans who sport it are sort of fake/want to identify with being hick/racist or something. Southerners should be proud to fly it though.
Or just non-Southerners in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or