U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,613 times

Advertisements

I didn't read over the comments (or likely arguments, heh) throughout this forum, but to have 19 pages (at the time of my post), there's got to be some serious stuff in there. Anyway, my opinion comes from having lived in Charlevoix, MI for the first 14 years of my life, then my family moved just south of Atlanta, GA; so I got to experience several things in both places.
*And let me just say, before I go on, that this is ONLY an opinion... I lived in the northern region of lower Michigan, (not any of the other Midwestern states which could vary GREATLY in cultural differences), then moved to a small city south of Atlanta, which could also have cultural differences from other parts of the southern states, so don't get upset if you see something in my post that you disagree with. My opinions are purely based on what I've personally seen & experienced as differences between where I lived in the Midwest & where I moved to the South. *Sigh* Now that we've got that out of the way...

Since it would be a different experience if someone were to move from the South to the Midwest, my opinions are based on the differences I saw after moving from MI to GA. Still being in school, one of the first things that I noticed was that kids in the south, (& adults too, as I observed as I got older), seem to be "cliquish"; or it seems like everybody either has their "own group" (of "elites"), or that everyone is kind of snotty. I was VERY surprised, shortly after moving to GA, when a new friend of mine starting asking things like how much money & stuff we had, then started talking about all the stuff he had; almost like it was a competition. As I grew older I would continue to notice behavior like this in other people I would talk to as well. Sure, when we lived in MI our friends & family enjoyed to buy nice stuff for ourselves, but it definitely wasn't a competition.

Now, from the time I started going to school in GA, through the years that would follow, at first it often seemed like people were genuinely nice & friendly towards me, but as I gained friends & observed not only how they treated one another but also how I was treated (gossiped) behind my back, (by other "gossipers"), it began to seem like most everyone I was meeting in the south was "two-faced"; they would act like the nicest person in the world in person, but would gossip or have a completely different persona when I wasn't around. Now I know that a lot of people will likely say that this is, or can be, true no matter where you go, & I don't deny that... but it just seemed like the sinister nature of people in GA was SO much higher than the people I knew where I grew up.

My last opinion about this is on religion. I know that Catholicism is REALLY big in Midwest, (or at least between the places I visited / observed between Michigan & the U.P., Wisconsin, & Minnesota), but I grew up as a Methodist... & out of all of the churches (that I can remember) in about a 50 mi. radius of my house, most were either Methodist or Non-Denominational, some were Catholic, & a few were either Baptist or some other denomination. When I moved to the south one of the first churches my parents joined, (can you guess?) was a Baptist church. And just to set the record straight before I make my next few comments, I would attend SEVERAL other churches across the area I lived in to see if there were any differences in my first impression of a southern-Baptist church, (save for one that I only found in recent years, there was not). My first impression of the people in the church was oddly like the personality I had seen everywhere else, (i.e. people were not attending for the religion aspect of it): Either the church members had an odd "cliquish" air about them, or they were (subtly, I will say) very proud, & open, about either their accomplishments (i.e. their jobs, income, etc.), or their possessions. My family & I were definitely very comfortable with our living accommodations, but it wasn't something that we either broadcast or compete with others over... this seemed very odd to me, but I just ignored it & moved on... until I moved back to MI (temporarily for a 3-yr job contract). After my contract was up & I moved back to GA I was, again, shocked at the differences between the two "cultures"... many of the same impressions I got as a kid came flooding back.

In closing, please don't misunderstand & think that I hate living in GA, & that the people here are atrocious. I mean, if I hated living here so much I would have moved a long time ago, but I value the true friendships that I've acquired over the years &, while I still hate it (lol), I've learned to deal with the unreal heat & humidity that "is the south". Each state has it's pros & cons. While I DO like the cuisine of MI (more "Mediterranean" oriented, vs frying everything, lol), & also love the climate, (though the snow can be cumbersome at times), the general cost of living is a bit higher, (don't let the "statistics" fool you). I've found that most MI jobs seem to either be contract work or a low hourly base pay with commission, while GA has a wide variety of jobs, (& generally a better market / economy... but not by much anymore). You DEF. don't want to build your own house in MI (with the horrendous permits & codes), & car insurance... forget it, but some of that can be worth it to others due to the combination of grand views (the lake/s, the occasional northern light spectacle, the wildlife, etc.), recreation options (inc. sledding / snow-mobiles in the winter, with ATVs in the summer, etc.), the awesome climate (& lack of bugs because of that), & the overall friendliness of most everyone you meet, (though they aren't like "southerners" where you'll often get a "howdy" from a passerby in one of the cities or towns). The Midwest culture that I'm used to is very friendly like the "traditional southerner", but not quite as outgoing about it... but I don't mind that because, unlike here, I know that the friendly greet or chat is legitimate, (in most cases, heh).

Michigan ("my Midwest") = Friendly people (but more reserved & genuine), a LOT of Catholics (but there are other religions), a mixture of different food cultures (& yes, Iced Tea... not "Sweet Tea"... though that is catching on up there, lol), very mild summers & brutally cold winters (but a dry cold), a comparable economy to GA but ONLY if your rent your house or apt. & have liability only (or similar) on your vehicle, few income options (I mean how you are paid, going back to that contract or commission thing), & a general populous that just seems to be both genuine & have a lot of care & involvement with their families (i.e. I remember vacations & camping trips, etc., that involved our entire family more than I remember trips to the city or road trips, etc., with friends... & that even counts the time I temp. moved back up).

Georgia ("my south") = Friendly & outgoing people (but unsure rather that's just the "southern image" or real), a LOT of Baptists (there are other options... but not many, j/k), ungodly hot & humid summers & mild but "damp" winters (the humid winters here, at around 25F, feel almost like the "same cold" I remember from the dry winters in MI, at around -10F), the housing & taxes seem to be pretty fair (especially the gas tax) when compared to MI, there are a few places that are nice to visit in GA but you don't get the same scenery (I would say you trade the lakes in MI for the mountains in GA), there seems to be a lot of income & job options but the economy still sucks for many (no matter which state you're talking about... though I'd say GA is ahead of MI by 1 or 2 percent... again, realistically, NOT what the web & media tell you "statistically"), & finally I would say that there are definitely families I've seen who legitimately seem to be a strong unit, but I'm still shocked at how much violence there is in both families & the general populous here.

And sorry to make this post so long guys (& "gals"), but since this is a "statistical" site, I just wanted to offer people my opinions from what I've honestly observed in living between the Midwest (MI) & South (GA). I will most likely never check this site again, (I only stumbled on it while doing some research on US cultures), so any questions or comments you might have for me will never be seen or answered, (though I ranted enough, in my sleep deprived state -lol-, that there could not possibly be anymore details I could give you, unless you just wanted to know the ave. cost of living for the places I've lived or some random thing like that). I'm sorry if there are some typos or sloppy grammar... it's late... & it was a long day/night. *Yawn* Good night.

Last edited by Journeyman0035; 07-10-2013 at 01:11 AM.. Reason: bold type summaries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 07:51 AM

164 posts, read 253,293 times
Both regions are extremely fiscally conservative but it seems to me one of the main differences is Southerners tend to be more socially conservative than Midwesterners.

Both regions have good people, but Southerners tend to be more outgoing and
friendly to strangers while Midwesterners seem to be more reserved but very nice and trusting of other people.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:16 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 15 days ago)

10,451 posts, read 14,299,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman0035 View Post
Still being in school, one of the first things that I noticed was that kids in the south, (& adults too, as I observed as I got older), seem to be "cliquish"; or it seems like everybody either has their "own group" (of "elites"), or that everyone is kind of snotty.
Isn't that the basic premise of just about every teen movie ever made? Not just in the south either!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman0035 View Post
Since it would be a different experience if someone were to move from the South to the Midwest, my opinions are based on the differences I saw after moving from MI to GA.
Nope, not at all. Anyone moving into an area where social groups are already established will run into the problem of initially feeling like an outsider, I don't care if you go north to south, east to west, or anywhere else. This is what convinced you of the "sinister nature" of people in GA? lmao

Old 07-11-2013, 11:40 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,272,999 times
They both have nice people, but Southerners are sometimes nice to the point of nosiness (I know, I grew up down there). For example, Midwesterners are friendly but they're not going to ask you where you go to church or what your daddy does for a living on the first meeting the way a lot of Southerners will.

Southerners are also much more vocal about their religious beliefs, which I find very annoying.

One of the main criticisms I've heard about Southerners from outsiders is that they seem two-faced. I can tell you from personal experience that it's considered rude to be direct in the South and is always preferable to beat around the bush and drop subtle hints. Midwesterners are more likely to just come right out and say whatever they think, which I find rude at times due to my Southern upbringing.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:14 PM

2,984 posts, read 2,135,725 times
The parts of the Midwest that don't have that Northern accent that starts to predominate in the Northern 3rd portion of the states Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Missouri and extends out to Nebraska and up to Minnesota and Iowa seem more like the upland South than they do in those Northern regions of the Midwest. Especially the smaller towns. I would say that Terre Haute and Muncie definitely "feel" more like Huntington WV, Owensboro and Bowling Green, Kentucky than they "feel" like Iowa City, Rochester, Minnesota or Oshkosh. I'd also venture to guess that South Bend "feels" more like Kalamazoo than it "feels" like Evansville. And I suppose that Evansville "feels" more like Lexington than it "feels" like South Bend. I don't know where the Northern accent comes from, but it does seem to be a slightly different culture than the lower Midwest. A lot of the immigrants to the lower Midwest came up from North Carolina, the Virginias, Tennessee and Kentucky so that might explain the cultural differences and the accents in the upper and lower midwest.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:58 PM

992 posts, read 937,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
In my experience, both are friendly, but the south is more outgoing (the midwest tends to be slightly more reserved).

The south is more protestant, the midwest is more Catholic.
Thisx1000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or