U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 02:04 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,505,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Ok so the flag was not flown over Armies of the Confederacy? It was not used as a symbol for them at all?
Actually, there was never an official "Confederate Flag." There were several designs, but one specific could never be chosen upon to be the utmost "official" one.

See the designs here

And the Civil War was about rights. The rights of the states to choose how they want to run things. The states that were a part of the confederacy were such because they agreed with each other. They were mainly farming states - where as the Union was industrial.

And as a side note about slavery.. Ulysses S. Grant (General for the Union) owned slaves that were not freed until the Emancipation Proclamation. Where as Robert E. Lee (General for the Confederate) owned slaves that were actually freed in 1862, three years before the Emancipation Proclamation.

Everybody has an opinion on what the "Confederate" flag means to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 02:10 PM

5,080 posts, read 8,048,403 times
That maybe true, but the flag still instill animosity in the African American population... should you not respect them as people and remove this symbol of hate? If it is not a symbol of hate, why does it bring about such controversy, and called a symbol of hate by many?

I know in many southern states there have been movements to remove the symbol from state flags, and it has in one I believe.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:20 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,123,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Actually, there was never an official "Confederate Flag." There were several designs, but one specific could never be chosen upon to be the utmost "official" one.

See the designs here

And the Civil War was about rights. The rights of the states to choose how they want to run things. The states that were a part of the confederacy were such because they agreed with each other. They were mainly farming states - where as the Union was industrial.

And as a side note about slavery.. Ulysses S. Grant (General for the Union) owned slaves that were not freed until the Emancipation Proclamation. Where as Robert E. Lee (General for the Confederate) owned slaves that were actually freed in 1862, three years before the Emancipation Proclamation.

Everybody has an opinion on what the "Confederate" flag means to them.
This is exactly right and the main point. Symbols mean different things to different people. And tolerance is a two-way street.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
That maybe true, but the flag still instill animosity in the African American population... should you not respect them as people and remove this symbol of hate? If it is not a symbol of hate, why does it bring about such controversy, and called a symbol of hate by many?

I know in many southern states there have been movements to remove the symbol from state flags, and it has in one I believe.

There was an Harris Poll sometime back that indicated that the majority of African-Americans had no personal problem with the Confederate Battle Flag (not to be confused with the Stars and Bars First National Flag). In fact, my own experience is that Southern whites and blacks understand and get along better than any bunch of folks in the world. We spend a lot of time catfishing together, for one thing! *smile*

That is not so surprising, I wouldn't think. Most black Americans dont concern themselves with this issue, and for good reason. Like any other people anywhere, the idea is usually just to live and let live.

To address the larger point though, if one proceeds from a premise that, because someone or some demographic segement of the population (white, black, brown, red, whatever...) might be "offended" and that others should be expected to surrender their principles and/or heritage in the name of some vague notion of "sensitivity" then there will be no end to outrageous demands made in said name.

Last edited by TexasReb; 03-09-2008 at 02:43 PM..

Old 03-09-2008, 02:50 PM

My Point is this.. this nation has a flag.. it looks like this:

It won the Civil War. It is the symbol of this Nation.

This Flag is not, it lost and should be burned and forgotten.

http://baptistsforbrown2008.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/confederate_flag_flying.jpg (broken link)

TexasReb, I don't know.. all I know is I don't like what you make me become. We rub each other in such a way that brings out the worst in one another, and It would be best if we just don't talk to one another, You make me want to take you up on the meeting.. and that is not a good thing. I have 3 kids and a wife to take care of and I can not allow you to ruin that. So I will back off and avoid you, because you bring out the worst in me. You make me hate another human being.. and that bothers me.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
My Point is this.. this nation has a flag.. it looks like this:

It won the Civil War. It is the symbol of this Nation.

This Flag is not, it lost and should be burned and forgotten.

http://baptistsforbrown2008.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/confederate_flag_flying.jpg (broken link)

TexasReb, I don't know.. all I know is I don't like what you make me become. We rub each other in such a way that brings out the worst in one another, and It would be best if we just don't talk to one another, You make me want to take you up on the meeting.. and that is not a good thing. I have 3 kids and a wife to take care of and I can not allow you to ruin that. So I will back off and avoid you, because you bring out the worst in me. You make me hate another human being.. and that bothers me.
Ditto. And any man is always welcome to take me up on my standing amicable offer to meet for a beer and exchange viewpoints. So with that said, lets put it to rest, agreed?

Last edited by TexasReb; 03-09-2008 at 03:33 PM..

Old 03-09-2008, 02:58 PM

Agreed..

I will let this women speak for me..

NPR: Florida's Separation Anxiety with Confederate Flag

Old 03-09-2008, 03:09 PM

Here is a man I admire. This is a Southern man, tried and true. Faces more discrimination than I ever will or could imagine. Now HERE is a man!

Southern Heritage 411

Old 03-09-2008, 03:38 PM

57 posts, read 264,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Here is a man I admire. This is a Southern man, tried and true. Faces more discrimination than I ever will or could imagine. Now HERE is a man!

Southern Heritage 411

I've heard of this guy a few times. Looks like he's doing wonderful things!

Old 03-09-2008, 03:45 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,596,483 times
Yes he seems like a great man. As said by Stl earlier the flag is flown now as a symbol of southern life, and honoring those of our ancestors that died. Like i said not saying i agree with everything the confederate army fought for, but some of them were our family. You cant just say, i spit on your grave ancestors! Look at the many cultures of the world, honoring their ancestors no matter what the past held. In a mature, forward moving world time does not stand still because some people in the south fly the confederate flag to honor southern living and those who have passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or