U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Status: "Semi-retired. working some, taking off some." (set 6 days ago)

9,801 posts, read 10,997,362 times
Originally Posted by Muhnay
Not trying to start anything.. I want to understand.. because I am one of those you describe.

You say it is flown to pay honor to ancestors, ancestors that believed that it was ok to own another person, and even fought a war over it? What does the flag represent? I see it as a symbol of hate. I think anyone who would want to be know as a rebel is a person who must have feelings or sentiment of those people who would dare fly that flag with pride.

Why do Hate groups like Neo-Nazi's grab that flag so readily if it is not a long symbol of hate?

So I want to understand.. explain it to me..

I am still waiting for some one to answer this question. No one has cleared this up, instead I get cop outs.. come on I know some of you Great Southern Rebels have to have a script or something that answers this question.
[/quote]

Just a couple of points, and I accept what you say about just wanting to understand. But at the same time, if one attributes hateful motivations to those who may have a different vision or viewpoint on a topic such as the Conferate Flag, and nothing *except* a different viewpoint, then it doesn't make any sort of case for their own position.

But anyway, hate groups use other symbols as well. The American flag and Christian Cross for example. Every symbol in history can be constured as offensive to someone. The only thing I know is that I can't control what another person or group does. I can only control what I do and how I chose to use and/or honor a particular symbol or whatever.

The statement about ancestors believing it ok to own another human being, I really don't understand. Slavery was an issue, but one of many. For most though, north and South, it was of very little concern in a moral sense. The majority of Southerners didn't own slaves, and the majority of northerners couldn't have cared less if they were freed.

But anyway, this could go on and on and there has been tons of type written on the subject. Rather than repeat all the same arguments -- on both sides -- time after time again, here is a link which pretty much covers about anything that can be said on the subject from both angles. You might want to look it over sometime:

The Confederate Flag - how do you feel about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 10:26 AM

3,170 posts, read 6,597,231 times
I thought this thread was about the midwest vs. the south in terms of value and culture. Why don't you guys discuss the flag issue on the other thread.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:53 AM

141 posts, read 313,817 times
I think driving styles are a major difference. Generally, it seems that midwesterners are very by-the-book drivers (going the speed limit, using turn signals, not making u-turns, etc.) while southerners, at least of the Texan variety, kind of make up our own rules at times! I had to train myself to constantly use my turn signal and when I am driving in Indiana it drives me crazy all the people going right at the speed limit!

Old 04-23-2008, 11:25 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 9,619,186 times
I take it you haven't driven in Chicago lately

Old 04-23-2008, 06:11 PM

208 posts, read 383,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow_keys View Post
I think driving styles are a major difference. Generally, it seems that midwesterners are very by-the-book drivers (going the speed limit, using turn signals, not making u-turns, etc.) while southerners, at least of the Texan variety, kind of make up our own rules at times! I had to train myself to constantly use my turn signal and when I am driving in Indiana it drives me crazy all the people going right at the speed limit!
I guess so, but it seems like Illinois and Michigan drivers drive very fast. I also saw lots of tailgating too, but not any worse than other parts of the country.

The Indiana drivers I see are either speeding or driving too slow and not using turn signals. It seems like Indiana drivers are better while in their own state.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:26 PM

2,690 posts, read 3,424,914 times
Moving from the rural south to urban midwest (Toledo and Columbus OH) I definately experienced culture shock. I don't know much about the rural midwest really. But now that I live in an urban area of the south Atlanta I see alot more similarities. The South and Midwest are definately different though without a doubt.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:16 PM

3,014 posts, read 5,846,971 times
The Midwest is home to more urban cores that experience the negatives of the urban environment more than the South does since the South really isn't home to urban cores that where banner cities in the 1920's and 1930's like Detroit and St. Louis were. Not to mention that little town in illinois on the lake.

I think the midwest (save for the farm states like oklahoma, kansas, nebraska, iowa, ect.) has more people who are reserved for a reason. The midwest is home to many criminals and negative influences where as the South has a population evenly spread over its' entire region whereas the Midwest has pockets of population explosions that feature the the best and the worst that Americans have to offer. I think the South is more genuine and open at first because they haven't had countless run ins with people who don't value life and have minimal morals like you see in a lot of big midwestern cities.

overall, the midwest is more business orientated where the South seems to be more focused on religion.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:02 PM

835 posts, read 1,513,680 times
I think in general there are just certain things I won't understand (even if I think I do) about certain areas of the country. I think there are some things about the South that people will not understand unless they were born and raised here. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think it would be hard for them to understand.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:41 PM

15,218 posts, read 20,812,662 times
In the Upper Midwest and Midwest Core the people tend to be more reserved, but friendly.
In the Southern Midwest and Plains many people seem to be overly outgoing and like to ask you personal prying questions.

An Upper Midwest city like Minneapolis has pretty much NOTHING in common with a Southern Midwest/Central Plains city like Kansas City.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Status: "Semi-retired. working some, taking off some." (set 6 days ago)

9,801 posts, read 10,997,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
I think in general there are just certain things I won't understand (even if I think I do) about certain areas of the country. I think there are some things about the South that people will not understand unless they were born and raised here. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think it would be hard for them to understand.
This is a VERY astute and honest observation IMHO.

Of course, being a Texan (and Southerner), I would apply the observation in reverse, but the main point is RIGHT ON the mark! There ARE some things that cannot be understood nor translated across regional lines. It can range from humor to slang to history and heritage and much in between. That old saying "Its a (fill in the blank) thing. You wouldn't understand" didn't just spring into existence for no reason!

For some reason though, today, many people want to deny the existence of NATURAL diversity among people and regions. And the paradox is that many of those who do are the very same ones who are always championing "diversity" in the superficial and artificial sense!

The United States was never even intended to be one single monolithic entity. It was settled by different peoples in different regions, and a lot of times animosities existed back to the "Old Countries". Factors ranging from old feuds to climate, to say nothing of unique histories and culture, made for differences. IMHO, that fact is something that seems to have been largely forgotten or misunderstood. We ARE all Americans, to be sure...but when it comes right down to it, the original idea of Americans banding together to fight an outside enemy or became a nation at all, was NOT because anyone wanted to morph into a faceless mass...but to protect the right to BE different amongst ourselves. Nothing wrong with that at all! It is TRUE diversity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.