U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2017, 11:36 AM

5,893 posts, read 6,538,445 times

Advertisements

I would say the city that least fits the description here would be Chicago. The monster of a downtown district goes from North Avenue at the southern end of Lincoln Park down to McCormick Place on the near south south. The downtown core goes from the lakefront west to at least Greektown (though others include all the way to the United Center and the Med Center).

This one single core so dominated Chicago and the region. All roads lead to it and all rail lines converge in it. It is the ultimate centralization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 12:12 PM

56,621 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The University Hill area in Syracuse may qualify, as it is separated by I-81 and the hill serves as a separating land feature. It is home to 3 hospitals, a few hotels, a couple of business districts and 3 institutions of higher learning off the top of my head. Welcome to University Hill!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_Hill,_Syracuse

https://www.planning.org/greatplaces...ersityhill.htm

The B.I.D. Crouse-Marshall

http://university-hill.com/wp-conten...e-for-web6.pdf
Welcome to University Hill!
Just to make sure that this suggestion is legitimate, here is a picture showing Downtown to the right and University hill to the left:
http://media.syracuse.com/news/photo...1159174c5b.jpg

Downtown information, with map to the right: Home Downtown Committee of Syracuse

Another view with Downtown to the left and University to the right:
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/511640030_RVVFp-M.jpg

More info: Elements of Urbanism: Syracuse | Metro Jacksonville

Old 05-10-2017, 02:06 PM

4,633 posts, read 2,784,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
This was posted in the thread " Manhattan vs. Downtown Chicago" about the official CBD boundaries for the latter
https://data.cityofchicago.org/Facil...rict/tksj-nvsw

According to the map, Downtown Chicago officially only extends as far south as Roosevelt Rd. The image I posted for the South Loop skyline is just south of Roosevelt rd. I realized that this area is often regarded as "downtown" by the average Chicagoan. I'm just speaking on a technicality that the South Loop could be second or third "downtown". It kind of helps that it is still has far less building/residential density than the Loop and Near North side that give it a more distinctive feeling.

If we're looking for an area that is at least a neighborhood apart from the traditional downtown(in Chicago this would be the loop), then I think the closest on the south side to that is Hyde Park. It has a few high rises and at least one tourist attraction (Museum of Science of Industry) and a top tier university. If Chicago had won the 2016 Olympics, it was going to be built in the area and provide jobs to that side of the city.

Besides that, maybe the whole north side along the lake can even compete with some mid-size cities' actual downtowns and even large ones such as Phoenix, which has a shockingly small downtown for a city almost as populated as Philly:

I'm not sure if people realize how extensive is Chicago's high rise urbanity along lakeshore . It doesn't stop at Division or North Ave.

Also, Evanston has a very urban core for a suburb and has a few buildings in its downtown above 200ft, although I'm not sure this can count as a second downtown for the Chicago metro. It might for just the north shore. It's basically Chicago's version of Clayton, Missouri.
What kind of camera do you have? You take the helicopter photo tour with DavePa? Lmao...

Old 05-10-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
What kind of camera do you have? You take the helicopter photo tour with DavePa? Lmao...
Just for the record too, I am going to Chicago and would like to get some of these vantage points if possible.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:24 PM

4,649 posts, read 3,615,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I'm surprised to see this listed here a few times. Although this area has a pretty good employment base and some office and medical buildings... it is quite spread out and seems to be more like a college campus area than a downtown.

It is sometimes compared to Oakland in Pittsburgh, but Oakland is far more dense and urban, and more of a multipurpose area even with two big universities being there.
Why would an area with top universities/schools, great parks, top U.S. museums, the #2 Hospital in the U.S., another top-ranked hospital (University Hospital), a VA Hospital, 2 rapid transit stations, also served by the #1 Bus-Rapid Transit system in the U.S., a top Little Italy, a historic cemetery (President Garfield), residential population of 10,000+ and growing, great restuarants, growing employment, new hotels, home to arguably the best U.S. orchestra, etc not be considered a 2nd downtown?

How is this not a multi-purpose area?

Last edited by Kamms; 05-11-2017 at 01:40 PM..

Old 05-11-2017, 12:34 PM

3,223 posts, read 1,555,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Just for the record too, I am going to Chicago and would like to get some of these vantage points if possible.
You mean you can't in Philly.... You want a good Chicago-Style Dog or Italian Beef in Chi-Town? Let us know.

Chicago offers many vantage points just from skyscrapers and roof tops of buildings to high-rises too. Many hotels offer AWESOME roof top wine and dine options too and views to give Manhattan a run. Hope your hotel has one.

Let me know if you want a picture....

Last edited by DavePa; 05-11-2017 at 12:43 PM..

Old 05-11-2017, 12:49 PM

2,797 posts, read 1,641,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Atlanta: Midtown
What about Buckhead?

Old 05-11-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
You mean you can't in Philly.... You want a good Chicago-Style Dog or Italian Beef in Chi-Town? Let us know.

Chicago offers many vantage points just from skyscrapers and roof tops of buildings to high-rises too. Many hotels offer AWESOME roof top wine and dine options too and views to give Manhattan a run. Hope your hotel has one.

Let me know if you want a picture....
1. I have plenty of pictures of Philadelphia. Though, I don't have aerial photos that seem to be taken from a helicopter like you do.

2. Why would I let you know if I want a sandwich? Don't you live in cumberland county, pa? That's kind of creepy lol.

3. I will ask what I asked the other guy, what kind of camera do you have? It is not nice to post other people's photos without giving credit. My photos aren't as nice because I take them on my phone

Old 05-11-2017, 01:00 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
What about Buckhead?
I think that would count too but didn't want to get into a potential drawn-out discussion about how it doesn't count because it's too suburban and what not.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:04 PM

23,094 posts, read 35,044,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think that would count too but didn't want to get into a potential drawn-out discussion about how it doesn't count because it's too suburban and what not.
That would be pretty tough to argue at this point, and less so in the future.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2541/...a99f1385_o.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or