U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2017, 02:38 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,459,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Why would an area with top universities/schools, great parks, top U.S. museums, the #2 Hospital in the U.S., another top-ranked hospital (University Hospital), a VA Hospital, 2 rapid transit stations, also served by the #1 Bus-Rapid Transit system in the U.S., a top Little Italy, a historic cemetery (President Garfield), residential population of 10,000+ and growing, great restuarants, growing employment, new hotels, home to arguably the best U.S. orchestra, etc not be considered a 2nd downtown?

How is this not a multi-purpose area?
Because it doesn't appear to be very dense and urban like most people would expect of a downtown. It has maybe a block or two that could pass for that, but doesn't seem nearly enough that most people would consider it to be like a downtown. It can be a popular & important section of the city, but that alone doesn't meet the criteria of a downtown area to me.

Last edited by _Buster; 05-11-2017 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 03:02 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,235,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
That would be pretty tough to argue at this point, and less so in the future.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2541/...a99f1385_o.jpg
That's a little misleading. How do we know what the street layout looks like? I can post a bunch of skylines of DFW, but at closer look, they're scattered office parks along a freeway. Now I'm not suggesting Buckhead is exactly that, but simply posting a view of tall buildings doesn't say much about the street layout and how those buildings interact with the street.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:09 PM

7,699 posts, read 4,554,568 times
Quote:

I haven't been to Buckhead for nearly 20 years, so I'm not weighing in one way or another, but this is Tyson's Corner, which is VERY suburban:

Old 05-11-2017, 03:11 PM

29,888 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:

Suburban areas can have skylines, so that's irrelevant.

I just didn't want to get into a drawn-out discussion about how Buckhead isn't pedestrian-oriented enough, doesn't have a traditional grid system, etc. that would discount it from being a secondary downtown according to the criteria laid out in the initial post. Of course Buckhead is improving at a steady clip in terms of pedestrian-friendliness and such, but it's obvious that Midtown is more traditionally downtown-like than Buckhead.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:22 PM

7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
Century City in Los Angeles could also.

Also I think the Strip counts as the new "downtown" of Las Vegas and complements the traditional Downtown Las Vegas along Fremont Street.

Maybe the French Quarter counts as a downtown area of New Orleans in addition to the central business district where all the high rises are.

And its not within the city limits, but Tysons Corner and Rosslyn in Virginia can count as secondary downtowns for Washington DC.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:27 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,459,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I haven't been to Buckhead for nearly 20 years, so I'm not weighing in one way or another, but this is Tyson's Corner, which is VERY suburban:
I think that's actually Rosslyn, but Tyson's does have somewhat of a skyline too.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:52 PM

7,699 posts, read 4,554,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I think that's actually Rosslyn, but Tyson's does have somewhat of a skyline too.
Oops. Rosslyn is legitimately urban, albeit outside of the city.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:46 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Century City in Los Angeles could also.

Also I think the Strip counts as the new "downtown" of Las Vegas and complements the traditional Downtown Las Vegas along Fremont Street.

Maybe the French Quarter counts as a downtown area of New Orleans in addition to the central business district where all the high rises are.

And its not within the city limits, but Tysons Corner and Rosslyn in Virginia can count as secondary downtowns for Washington DC.
The French Quarter is the original downtown so no. There is no second downtown in New Orleans. Unless we go out of the city into the suburbs.

And I'm confused, the op says Hollywood is LA's second downtown, but that's not in LA. If that were the case, LA would have numerous secondary downtowns.

For Houston it's definitely the medical center, Uptown is not urban in the slightest.

Can a new urbanism development be considered? In that case, Baton Rouge has a second downtown in Perkins Rowe and possibly in LSU.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:01 PM

308 posts, read 186,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The French Quarter is the original downtown so no. There is no second downtown in New Orleans. Unless we go out of the city into the suburbs.

And I'm confused, the op says Hollywood is LA's second downtown, but that's not in LA. If that were the case, LA would have numerous secondary downtowns.

For Houston it's definitely the medical center, Uptown is not urban in the slightest.

Can a new urbanism development be considered? In that case, Baton Rouge has a second downtown in Perkins Rowe and possibly in LSU.
How is Hollywood not in L.A.?

Last edited by pinytr; 05-11-2017 at 06:38 PM..

Old 05-11-2017, 11:58 PM

7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

I think the New Orleans central business district where the modern skyscrapers are located should count as a separate downtown from the French Quarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or