U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 04:50 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,304,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I've always thought of Jamaica as downtown Queens. I've always thought of Jamaica as "downtown queens" . That's probably due to the presence of the courthouse.
There's also that big transportation hub there with the LIRR, E, and J/Z. And the F nearby too. That's a lot of trains to have together like that considering how far away that area is from Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 05:19 PM

4,631 posts, read 2,779,876 times
University City acts as it's own unique CBD seperated from Center City's imo

From Cira South:
http://i.imgur.com/7OzyfBf.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 05-08-2017 at 07:33 PM..

Old 05-08-2017, 05:27 PM

7,700 posts, read 4,554,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

From Cira South:
Interesting. Did you know that Oakland is PA's 3rd largest business district, behind Center City and Downtown Pittsburgh?

Old 05-08-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Interesting. Did you know that Oakland is PA's 3rd largest business district, behind Center City and Downtown Pittsburgh?
Not for long!

The Cira South complex is only a taste of the future

Old 05-08-2017, 06:35 PM

3,223 posts, read 1,543,956 times
Quote:

From Cira South:
There really is no disconnect between Center City Philly and University City. They merely have the Schuylkill river. Not blocks or miles like some cities. So they merely adjoin. One is technically the Central Business District as CC or downtown. One not. Many cities have adjoining skyscraper areas that look like part of that cites core but technically is not. But could be in the future. I'm just not sure a adjoining area is as a Second Downtown over a extension on one that grew to be intertwined.

Like Midtown and Downtown Atlanta. Basically adjacent and merely acting as one Core more and more.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:39 PM

9,383 posts, read 9,532,267 times
I would say Back Bay is distinctly separate from Boston's Financial district. The South End/Boston Common/Beacon Hill make it two nodes rather than one sprawling one.

I also agree with Oakland/ DT Pittsburgh

Grand Rapids MI is a very decentralized Metro but Holland is a separate city that is on non significant size compared to the central city, but is separate much more than say Back Bay is Boston's FiDi, or Oakland is to DT Pittsburgh.
It would be more like if Lowell Mass was a city the size of Cincinnati which I don't think it would count as Boston's second downtown but rather a close city.

Minneapolis/St Paul are a great example because their centers developed for different reasons, St Paul was a River port city like St Louis or Louisville while Minneapolis used the river (St Anthony's Falls) to be more of an industrial city more like Rochester, NY than Louisville in the way the river was used.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:39 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,106,207 times
Washington: Downtown/Golden Triangle in DC and then Rosslyn in Arlington. Rosslyn is the Lower Manhattan to Downtown playing Midtown.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:15 PM

5,367 posts, read 12,974,087 times
Within the city limits of a city, Los Angeles has Downtown, Hollywood and Century City.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:40 AM

Quote:

From Cira South:
http://i.imgur.com/7OzyfBf.jpg
Don't know why my pictures are the ones always deleted since I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who actually takes them!

But here it is again.. UCity from the Cira Green a month or so ago.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:26 AM

3,506 posts, read 7,310,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Depending on how "downtown" is defined, Chicago has the Loop, which is the traditional business downtown. Then there is River North where Michigan Ave runs through and the Hancock building is. Most people consider both of these areas to be part of "downtown," but they are separated by the river, so they are two distinct areas.
Yep.

Chicago has at least two downtowns combined as one. The high rises in River North, Streetville, and Gold Coast make up around half of the greater downtown skyline.

Near North side skyline:

Also a third "downtown" is emerging in the South Loop/Near South Side area. It's currently distinctive enough to appear as its own downtown for the south side of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or