Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2018, 10:08 AM

68 posts, read 67,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
If in Atlanta, Midtown is too attached to Downtown (yes they are next to one another only separated by Lindon Avenue and the sudden appearance of numbered east/ west streets, starting with 3rd Street with North Avenue being "1st Street" and Ponce de Leon Avenue being "2nd Street") than how about our uptown Buckhead district. Especially along Peachtree between Piedmont and Lenox Square, it looks and acts like a second downtown with highrise office buildings and tons of shopping (really MUCH more shopping than Downtown these days with Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza cater cornered across Peachtree from one another with their six department stores and hundreds of boutiques) Others call it an "edge city", but being within the City of Atlanta I am uncertain if it would meet the criteria for an "edge city" in the true sense like Perimeter Center and Cumberland/ Galleria in the North Atlanta suburbs, but NOT inside the Atlanta City limits.

I consider Buckhead to be a car-choked area, seemed to be --I don't know, not walkable city area, not suburban, what the hell is it, everyone driving around ! hated Atlanta area, Marietta,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 10:31 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,365,988 times
Los Angeles has a lot of secondary downtowns.

Koreatown (I think it is the largest with many highrises, businesses, great transit, nightlife, dense pop)
Hollywood (Hollywood studios are still in the area but scattered, but area is mostly tourism/hospitality focused)
Beverly Hills
West Hollywood
Long Beach
Pasadena
Glendale
Westwood
Santa Monica

These three are major employment centers but are not urban at all.

Century City (actually this is the most suburban office park of all)
Woodland Hills Warner Center (suburban office park)
El Segundo/LAX (suburban office park)

Old 05-06-2018, 04:56 AM

181 posts, read 317,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
NYC is the most obvious, with Manhattan's two CBDs and downtown Brooklyn, but there are other cities with secondary employment centers that effectively amount to second downtowns. A secondary downtown should be urban in nature. Suburban-style office parks are not secondary downtowns. Extensions of downtown, that is to say, areas that are relatively contiguous with the universally accepted downtown (like Boston's Back Bay) don't count.

LA: Hollywood is definitely a second downtown.

Pittsburgh: Oakland is a second downtown.

I'm sure other cities have a secondary downtown.
Ummm, not sure if this point has already been made, but I don't know if I'd say Hollywood is exactly a "second downtown" for Los Angeles. Hollywood is more like a very large city neighborhood with a really popular main business district. A lot of jobs and tourists in Hollywood for sure, but it's no second downtown. LA's second downtown is without a doubt Century City. It's among the largest employment centers in the city outside of downtown and has the only other considerable skyline besides downtown's.

Century City is to LA what Midtown is to Atlanta: they're both Downtown Part 2. Not to mention, in both examples, the second downtown is way cleaner than the main one.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:20 AM

13,972 posts, read 13,743,849 times
NYC

Queens: Jamaica, Flushing, Long Island City
Brooklyn: Downtown
Manhattan: Lower Manhattan

Old 05-06-2018, 11:54 AM

13,945 posts, read 14,835,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy88 View Post
Ummm, not sure if this point has already been made, but I don't know if I'd say Hollywood is exactly a "second downtown" for Los Angeles. Hollywood is more like a very large city neighborhood with a really popular main business district. A lot of jobs and tourists in Hollywood for sure, but it's no second downtown. LA's second downtown is without a doubt Century City. It's among the largest employment centers in the city outside of downtown and has the only other considerable skyline besides downtown's.

Century City is to LA what Midtown is to Atlanta: they're both Downtown Part 2. Not to mention, in both examples, the second downtown is way cleaner than the main one.
My issue with calling Midtown Atlanta a second Downtown is there is no neighborhood between Midtown and Downtown, so its more of an extension than a second center.

Compared to say Houston with has Downtown then 2 not-CBD neighborhoods than Uptown.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
My issue with calling Midtown Atlanta a second Downtown is there is no neighborhood between Midtown and Downtown, so its more of an extension than a second center.

Compared to say Houston with has Downtown then 2 not-CBD neighborhoods than Uptown.
I suppose it would depend on who you ask. In my opinion, Midtown Atlanta, being over 8 miles away from Downtown Atlanta doesn't quite deem it an "extension" of downtown. But I'm also from the Bay Area, where Downtown Oakland is about that same distance from Downtown San Francisco, and in that regard, there's a world of difference within an 8 mile range.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:01 AM

13,945 posts, read 14,835,246 times
Quote:
I suppose it would depend on who you ask. In my opinion, Midtown Atlanta, being over 8 miles away from Downtown Atlanta doesn't quite deem it an "extension" of downtown. But I'm also from the Bay Area, where Downtown Oakland is about that same distance from Downtown San Francisco, and in that regard, there's a world of difference within an 8 mile range.
Midtown is 1.25 miles from 5 points which is on the SW side of Downtown.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:54 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,698,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Midtown is 1.25 miles from 5 points which is on the SW side of Downtown.

maybe they were thinking of Buckhead which could more of a second DT of sorts

Midtown is basically very close to DT

Old 05-07-2018, 10:11 AM

37,796 posts, read 41,518,596 times
Quote:
Ummm Midtown directly borders Downtown.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Ummm Midtown directly borders Downtown.
I was wrong then. My bad. I thought Buckhead and Midtown were the same thing. I often get the two mixed up largely because I confuse their skylines. Now I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.