U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2017, 03:16 PM

13 posts, read 12,135 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone-I need some help as I am indecisive when it comes to big life decisions. I currently live in Minneapolis and I am needing a change of pace. I want to move to a city where there are outdoor activity such as skiing, hiking, rock climbing, ect. With my Minnesota blood weather isn't an issue as the temperature ranges from -10 to 100 degrees throughout the year. I am debating which city would be the best for me. I am a 24 year old woman, who often finds herself reading, hiking, and solo traveling around the world. My boyfriend would be joining me on the move but he has no prefernce of the city due to his job as an IT he says "he can get a job anywhere" haha. I have an undergraduate degree in Architecture so looking for a city with opportunity to go back to school while getting experience. (More interested in urban planning, sustainable arch. , restoration rather than cheap development projects) I have been to Seattle and loved it so much, although it is out of the option due to how expensive it is getting to live there and findimg housing is as intense as NYC. I went to Portland last year and really enjoyed my time there, especially with the fact there is a forest in the city. I have gone to Denver numerous times as I have family in Denver,Arvada,Louisville & Boulder. So it is nice family is there but I have heard traffic is terrible there!! That is a big factor for me as I am trying to decrease the amount of driving I do to and from work. I had never thought about SLC as an option until a neighbor informed me her husband lived there and loved it since it is close proximity to the mountains. A city with some casual nightlife would be nice, although I tend to only go out a few times a month. I want to live in a diverse community as I want to focus my architecture career on unifying people of different backgrounds and I love to make friends with people of different cultures. Any advice which city would suite me best and what neighborhood?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 03:57 PM

19,822 posts, read 56,009,102 times
Read some of the general threads on Salt Lake City. It is a very conservative city, and state, and is not for everyone. The Mormon church is a huge factor of life for many. They dominate the state legislature. However, SLC has an openly lesbian mayor who is married to her partner. I lived there of 11 yrs and absolutely loved it! If not for grandkids in Texas, I would still be there.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:15 PM

565 posts, read 564,050 times
I would suggest Tacoma. It's affordable for Puget Sound, all the Seattle amenities, beautiful historic architecture, views/parks/beaches/wildlife, one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S., lots of development planned/ under construction, room to grow. The nightlife is great, one of the most diverse cities in the region, progressive mindset, unique neighborhoods, more laid back than Seattle but still just a 35 min-1 hour train/ bus ride away

Old 05-06-2017, 09:22 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,982,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
I would suggest Tacoma. It's affordable for Puget Sound, all the Seattle amenities, beautiful historic architecture, views/parks/beaches/wildlife, one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S., lots of development planned/ under construction, room to grow. The nightlife is great, one of the most diverse cities in the region, progressive mindset, unique neighborhoods, more laid back than Seattle but still just a 35 min-1 hour train/ bus ride away
Haha. Rent your hosue out to her.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:23 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,640,935 times
An architecture position. You will want to live in a city that is booming. I suggest not looking in Salt Lake City as that is not as booming as the likes of Portland and Denver.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
I have not really thought about moving to Tacoma before. I will add that to the list. I wish I had a chance to visit there when I was in Seattle but that just means a reason to check it out soon! Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:27 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,519,167 times
Oh my god, I love Minneapolis. Easily one of my favorite cities. But I can see you wanting something new. Denver might have what you are looking for.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Oh my god, I love Minneapolis. Easily one of my favorite cities. But I can see you wanting something new. Denver might have what you are looking for.
I agree it's a great city. Glad it is one of your favorites! Thanks for the recommendation. My extended family would love if I moved to Denver.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:01 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,300,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseydking View Post
I currently live in Minneapolis and I am needing a change of pace. I want to move to a city where there are outdoor activity such as skiing, hiking, rock climbing, ect.

I want to live in a diverse community as I want to focus my architecture career on unifying people of different backgrounds and I love to make friends with people of different cultures. Any advice which city would suite me best and what neighborhood?
Oddly Denver is probably going to be the most diverse and the most similar city to city compared to Minneapolis (as far as size, amenities, etc.). Seattle is probably the closest. Tacoma is probably going to be more like living in St. Paul just due to size and offerings. It's diverse (for Washington) too.

Portland is likely to be the least diverse and has the least to offer in way of outdoor activities between these options. However the city itself is a great blend and very walker friendly. I enjoyed it more than Minneapolis, but it is certainly the most expensive of the three these days (and possibly has the worst traffic).

Salt Lake is going to fall between the other two with more outdoor activities, but a bit smaller overall. Utah overall is very conservative, SLC is more liberal, but most people seem to get a "weird" Stepford Wives vibe from the area. Although the tech is there so job-wise your bf will be covered, not sure on the architecture front.

Only big issue with Denver is being able to afford a home now. Although with your choices here money/cost of living doesn't seem to be an issue so maybe another option would be to look at Oakland, CA?

Edit: These days most people are moving from Portland/Denver TO the Twin Cities for the lower COL without having to lose much in amenities and similar lifestyle.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:11 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,142,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Oddly Denver is probably going to be the most diverse and the most similar city to city compared to Minneapolis (as far as size, amenities, etc.). Seattle is probably the closest.
No way. Denver is not going to be the most diverse, and certainly won't be anything like Minneapolis. Seattle is much more diverse, especially with Asian population.

Portland and Denver are both very expensive, and have lots of competition over housing.

Culturally, Portland will have the most variety. Denver and SLC are more single-flavor, vanilla. Those dry mountain SW towns are rather bland; a reflection of the dry landscapes. And the dryness of those two towns can't compete with the wet lushness of Portland and OR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or