U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 11:55 PM

7,820 posts, read 12,321,925 times

Advertisements

Definitely here in West Virginia. If you meet someone new and they tell you where they're from they're very likely to tell you the county since a lot of towns are very small and not very well known even by others within the state but people generally know where every county is. It's also quite common for a county in WV to only have one high school so that creates some kind of identity too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 03:45 PM

706 posts, read 513,188 times
New Mexico talks heavily of counties, especially for disambiguation. For example, you have Bernalillo County, where Albuquerque is located. a few miles to the north is the town of Bernalillo, which is located in Sandoval County.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:37 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,305,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
You noticed that too? When I lived in Queens, sometimes you would often hear Queens County instead of just say Queens. The Borough President and other local politicians always said Queens County, maybe it sounded more prestigious or independent or something?

After Queens you would sometimes see Bronx County. In contrast you would almost never see Kings County (Brooklyn) or New York County (Manhattan) unless it had something to do with the court system. I am not sure about Richmond County (Staten Island).
I live in Brooklyn and only ever use Kings County when filling out forms/paperwork that ask for county. Same thing with New York County when I lived in Manhattan. When I lived in Queens I obviously used the word "Queens" a lot but never said "Queens county". It does sound kind of prestigious. I think this is only used out on LI

Also it seems that we had some sort of theme going on in LI with Kings and Queens. I'd imagine Kings County probably stopped being used after Brooklyn took over all the other little villages and became a city-county. Queens probably kept its County name because it never became a truly unified city/area like Brooklyn/Kings County did. Even today Queens is the only borough without a mailing address. Instead of Queens NY, individual neighborhood names are used.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And when we in NJ talk about someone on LI, we say, "he lives out on the island" and everyone knows what you mean!
Sometimes "the island" can mean Staten Island. But now that I think about it the only people I've ever known to say this were Staten Islanders.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:26 PM

4,535 posts, read 2,316,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The borough names are sometimes different than their county names, though:

Borough/County

Manhattan/New York county
Bronx/Bronx county
Queens/Queens county
Brooklyn/Kings county
Staten Island/Richmond county

As far as NYC area residents referring to other counties, in addition to Westchester and Rockland, I find Nassau and Suffolk are used a lot, with Bergen (NJ) and Fairfield (CT) rounding it out.
thats interesting, i didnt even know counties were allowed to bifurcate a city.
i always thought of counties being a collection of cities but i guess for n.y.c. its a city that is a collection of counties. are there any other cities that do this ? moreover, are there any cities that have multiple parts in different states (countries) ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
... Even today Queens is the only borough without a mailing address. Instead of Queens NY, individual neighborhood names are used.
thats true for everywhere, no ?:
Suburbanites Who Claim the City Proper

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 05-13-2017 at 12:40 PM..

Old 05-13-2017, 01:28 PM

56,026 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Sometimes "the island" can mean Staten Island. But now that I think about it the only people I've ever known to say this were Staten Islanders.
Yeah, and that's closer, but no one calls Staten Island "the island". A lot of people in the part of NJ where I live call SI, "where I grew up".. Some SI-ers call it The Rock.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-13-2017 at 01:43 PM..

Old 05-13-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
thats true for everywhere, no ?:
Suburbanites Who Claim the City Proper
That's not the same, though, because every neighborhood in Queens IS New York City. Flushing is New York City. Astoria is New York City. Elmhurst is New York City. Bill DiBlasio is their Mayor, just as he is Donald Trump's Mayor at his Manhattan address.

What the other poster was saying was that the mailing address for someone in Staten Island is Staten Island, NY. Then Brooklyn, NY. Bronx, NY. New York, NY for Manhattan. But you don't mail anything to Queens, NY. You mail to Astoria or Flushing or Elmhurst or Forest Hills or Long Island City or Jamaica, etc., NY, all of which places are in the borough and County of Queens within the City of New York.

Got that?

Now we move onto geography...Bronx is the only part of NYC that's mostly on the mainland (Bronx includes some islands). Manhattan is on the island of Manhattan, Staten Island is Staten Island, and Brooklyn and Queens are the western part of Long Island.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-13-2017 at 01:41 PM..

Old 05-13-2017, 01:49 PM

4,535 posts, read 2,316,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's not the same, though, because every neighborhood in Queens IS New York City. Flushing is New York City. Astoria is New York City. Elmhurst is New York City. Bill DiBlasio is their Mayor, just as he is Donald Trump's Mayor at his Manhattan address.

What the other poster was saying was that the mailing address for someone in Staten Island is Staten Island, NY. Then Brooklyn, NY. Bronx, NY. New York, NY for Manhattan. But you don't mail anything to Queens, NY. You mail to Astoria or Flushing or Elmhurst or Forest Hills or Long Island City or Jamaica, etc., NY, all of which places are in the borough and County of Queens within the City of New York.

Got that?
not really, not trying o be obtuse but if i mail something to queens, ny, 99999 will it not go to its intended destination ?
where i'm from people use uphams corner, ma or dorchester, ma or sometimes even boston, ma and as long as the address is correct they get their mail.

edit: actually i've mailed birthday cards to someone living in manhattan and i just checked my cellular-telefone and the address i have under that contact is n.y.c., ny (i wonder if i put manhattan it wouldve gotten lost).
i never thought about it but i guess thats why most people consider manhattan to be the only part of n.y.c.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
not really, not trying o be obtuse but if i mail something to queens, ny, 99999 will it not go to its intended destination ?
where i'm from people use uphams corner, ma or dorchester, ma or sometimes even boston, ma and as long as the address is correct they get their mail.

edit: actually i've mailed birthday cards to someone living in manhattan and i just checked my cellular-telefone and the address i have under that contact is n.y.c., ny (i wonder if i put manhattan it wouldve gotten lost).
i never thought about it but i guess thats why most people consider manhattan to be the only part of n.y.c.
Post office goes by zip code, so as long as that's right, it should get there.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
As long as you have the correct zip you should not have an issue getting your mail. But when filling out your address on paperwork/other forms, especially government papers, you cannot put Queens, NY. You have to put the neighborhood. It's the only borough in NYC that is like that.

Quote:
1. Manhattan is New York, NY not "n.y.c., ny"

2. NYC is much more than just Manhattan and I'm sure most people are aware of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.