Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 10:08 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Texas.
"Out in the county, you can build any damn way you please.... Here in the city proper, you can't."
"That's Tarrant County. There's no consumer protection. Whole nuther world son.... you can smell the cow dung halfway to Erving."
"Son, this is Williamson County, not that ___gy Travis. We still throw people in prison for smoking that funny weed, and we execute on the spot of you get honry."
Did you think this was funny?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 02:54 PM

944 posts, read 1,210,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Queens isn't. Queens is weird. Since Queens is part of NYC there would be no townships. There would be the City of New York but that's not something you can put on your license either. You either put the specific neighborhood name or a somewhat nearby neighborhood from a more simplified map of Queens.

When I lived in Queens I could either put "Forest Hills, NY", which was the neighborhood I lived in, or "Flushing, NY" which is the neighborhood Forest Hills gets grouped in with in the simplified version.

I never understood why it's done this way. Queens is the only part of NYC that does this.

Brooklyn = "Brooklyn, NY"
The Bronx = "Bronx, NY"
Staten Island = "Staten Island, NY"
Manhattan = "New York, NY"

But Queens is a huge cluster****. And all of this is one city.
Queens was a county with defined cities whereas the Bronx was a part of NYC, Brooklyn was it's own municipality and Staten Island was a series of tiny rural towns. Queens was betwixt and between and so has remained.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:26 PM

368 posts, read 453,740 times
Everywhere outside the northeast.
Virginia and Maryland have a distinct city county system, its either you live in a independent city or a county surrunding it.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:48 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Did you think this was funny?
I personally thought it was funny, I could totally imagine people I know saying something like that.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:15 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,062 times
Cape Coral-Fort Myers-Naples MSA aka Southwest Florida. You constantly hear about Lee and Collier Counties. Pretty large unincorporated populations is probably part of the reason why.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:16 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,666,897 times
Detroit.

Not only are Oakland, Macomb, and Washtenaw Counties distinctly different from each other, Detroit, and Wayne County (where Detroit is), but Wayne County is often spoken of as a separate entity from Detroit. If you live in Livonia or Canton and you're talking to another Metro Detroiter, you live "in Wayne County" not "in Detroit", but if you live in Detroit you live "in Detroit" - not "in Wayne County"

If you live in one of the other 3 Metro Detroit counties, you specifically call it out on a regular basis. Even Livingston County is starting to get in on the action of wanting to be called out as separate and distinct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.