Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 05:21 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,307,200 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are originally from the Southern indiana/Kentucky Area. We went to the same high school, small town, graduating class of 160ish. Once we finished college, we lived in Louisville,KY for awhile (still "home") and about a year ago we moved to San Francisco for my job. No need to go into a ton of detail, we are just ready to get out of this place. We have about a year left before I can transfer again.

Being from a small town, we miss everything about it. Privacy, good people, close friends, friendliness, affordability,etc... That being said, we are looking for a small town to relocated to in about a year. With my job, wherever I decide to transfer, I have to live within 60 miles of my "assigned city", which would be a major city (Louisville, Dallas, Raleigh, etc...). My wife and I don't mind longer commutes. We have a good housing budget (around 300K) but for a small town, a lot of time you can get incredible deals. We don't mind rural areas (obviously). No kids yet. Mid-Twenties. We like to stay at home and relax, enjoy the occasional hike, and bike ride. Would love to have a lake or something somewhat close if possible, to paddle board in.

We don't want to relocated to a super rural state though (Norh Dakota, Idaho, Montana, etc...). We love "southern charm" and the weather doesn't bother us being from the Ohio Valley (hot & humid). Places like Texas, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc...really interests us.

All that being said, anyone have any "small town" recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 06:41 PM

15,967 posts, read 20,946,204 times
My idea of small town is 10K or less, I know folks who consider 75-100K to be small. What is your idea of small town?

Old 05-07-2017, 06:45 PM

92,192 posts, read 122,439,279 times
Oxford MS may actually be a community to consider in terms of Mississippi. It is a college town(University of Mississippi). So, there are quite a few things going on there. Same with Starkville, which is home to Mississippi State.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
My idea of small town is 10K or less, I know folks who consider 75-100K to be small. What is your idea of small town?
The town I grew up in & went to high school has a population of about 1500. There are larger towns really close by, but none of which have a population over 10,000. I miss the small town hence this thread!

Old 05-08-2017, 07:22 AM

26,899 posts, read 43,398,739 times
Check out Clover SC. It's 45 minutes SW of Charlotte and has that small town vibe you're after, along with water recreation 20 minutes away at Lake Wylie and a bit over an hour to Lake Norman. If looking to start a family, it might be good to know Clover is one of the top few school districts in SC.

Town of Clover, South Carolina - Official Website
https://www.niche.com/k12/d/clover-school-district-sc/
https://www.niche.com/k12/rankings/p...outh-carolina/

Old 05-08-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Clover SC. It's 45 minutes SW of Charlotte and has that small town vibe you're after, along with water recreation 20 minutes away at Lake Wylie and a bit over an hour to Lake Norman. If looking to start a family, it might be good to know Clover is one of the top few school districts in SC.

Town of Clover, South Carolina - Official Website
https://www.niche.com/k12/d/clover-school-district-sc/
https://www.niche.com/k12/rankings/p...outh-carolina/
Thanks for this info!

Old 05-08-2017, 11:30 AM

92,192 posts, read 122,439,279 times
In Mississippi, Senatobia may be the best bet in terms of population criteria, relatively above average schools and it is about 40 minutes or so from Memphis. It is a short drive to Arktabutla Lake as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-08-2017 at 11:59 AM..

Old 05-08-2017, 11:56 AM

15,967 posts, read 20,946,204 times
Outside of Nashville look at Cookeville TN if you can deal with a lager small town that is still growing, or possibly Manchester. Would either Knoxville or Chattanooga be big enough to qualify as a 'major city' for your work? Both have some nice small towns nearby.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Outside of Nashville look at Cookeville TN if you can deal with a lager small town that is still growing, or possibly Manchester. Would either Knoxville or Chattanooga be big enough to qualify as a 'major city' for your work? Both have some nice small towns nearby.
We do indeed have offices in both Knoxville and Chattanooga. I have actually looked into the Marysville area near Knoxville previously as well!

Old 05-08-2017, 12:47 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,561,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Being from a small town, we miss everything about it. Privacy, good people, close friends, friendliness, affordability,etc...
Something to keep in mind is that among small towns, there is quite a bit of variation in some that absolutely meet the above criteria, and some that don't. Even in an area where two small towns seem very similar to the naked eye of the person from outside, moving there and experiencing them firsthand can show a vastly different in terms of how welcoming or cliquish they are, how crime prone they are, the affordability (the last two being easier to determine than the intangible friendliness factors).

It would really help to narrow it down if you have some specific hub cities that you have to be 60 miles away from for your work because if someone's suggestion isn't on your list of work hub cities, it doesn't really help your search. If you do have a list of several cities that you would be based from, you will probably get more detailed information by posting on each of those sub-forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.