U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 12:44 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,545,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It's from personal experience from knowing people in both places, while people on this forum from NE might have gone to the mid Atlantic there are a few people who have lived in Bodth places who have concurred.
F
Yes, it's your personal experience but you have been treating it like it's fact for this whole thread, even if you are not intending to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalentedDrinker View Post
I have a cabin in the Adirondacks that I rent out. 90% of my clients are from NJ.

Honestly. And we often chat up because I schooled in Jersey and lived there, despite being from Upstate. Very familiar with it.

IMO, Upper New England is an extension of Upstate NY, or at least the Eastern part. I don't like Syracuse or Western NY. I don't like how flat it is primarily, or their sports teams, among other things. Even for someone like me, it feels kind of Midwestern in ways.

I love VT and NH is cool too, but I am not clamoring to get there on weekends when I literally live on the foothills of the Adirondacks, which is the same size as both of those states. Why do I need to leave? They just remind me of it. Especially in Autumn.

It's like someone from Boston going to Philadelphia for history, or vice versa.
I know people with a home in the Adirondacks and their most distant renters were from Australia. Pretty cool and they get renters from all over but mostly NY and NJ. But yeah, lots of NJ people go upstate IMO probably because they have way better skiing/snowboarding than we do and it's closer than VT and NH. Then there are people who enjoy lakes and NY has some great ones but most people I know prefer the ocean; we're ocean people.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:54 PM

149 posts, read 94,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I know people with a home in the Adirondacks and their most distant renters were from Australia. Pretty cool and they get renters from all over but mostly NY and NJ. But yeah, lots of NJ people go upstate IMO probably because they have way better skiing/snowboarding than we do and it's closer than VT and NH. Then there are people who enjoy lakes and NY has some great ones but most people I know prefer the ocean; we're ocean people.

Same. It's only a few hours. I go to the shore a lot from Upstate.

Lake George is littered with Mid-Atlantic and New England plates I might add.

North Jersey to Albany is only 2-2.5 hours tops. I often average 80-85 mph on the Thruway.

ADK is much quicker for Mid-Atlantic than going to Maine. When btownboss says they go to Maine, I can't help but shake my head at that.

Like you can really track where a metro of 20 million are going for a weekend. They're going to cover a massive area. Getting out of the city takes an hour itself. Like they wanna travel six hours to Maine.

Montreal and Killington are the furthest my NJ friends have gone to snowboard, and that was only once. They usually just come up to ADK (some of them are originally from here) or when I lived there we went to Mountain Creek or Camelback in the Poconos. Not the best by any measure, but still doable. ADK's IMO are second to none. Catskills not as familiar with but I love the region.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:08 PM

^ Yes, and it also depends on where in each state you live in. People who live in southern NJ or along the shore are less likely to make the occasional weekend trip to Killington because it's at least an extra hour away than it is for those living in NJ's northern counties. Most people I know don't even make it to the Adirondacks for snowboarding and skiing, but stop in the Catskills (usually Hunter Mountain) because they're closer to where I live. The Adirondacks are about 4 hours away from me factoring in traffic that's always there along the way.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:25 PM

11,764 posts, read 8,329,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
A lot of people living elsewhere like to hate on the Northeast for a variety of reasons - the weather (as if some cold and snow will break them), how the people are so "rude" - but I truly think it's one of the best areas of the country. I personally would take it over the South and basically every state/region in the middle any day (I need the ocean and those huge lakes just west of us don't cut it for me). I think the only area that does rival the Northeast, and may win depending on one's individual preferences, is the West Coast (but that is far too big a region to compare to the Northeast anyway, I would split it into basically PNW and Southern CA).

The Northeast is so compact and really we are all close to everything, even places outside the NE. My family has vacationed in southern Maine here and there (btw, very nice but yes the ocean is COLD), without bad traffic it's a 5 hour drive from me. DC is like 3.5-4 (wouldn't be as bad if traffic wasn't awful). My friends took a weekend trip to northern VA to see a concert last summer. We're close to a lot here. The Northeast is historic, is both very urban and very rural/empty/natural and anything in between, depending on where you are, has historic and charming towns with old classic downtowns and town centers, has unique and some very old architecture and few planned communities and subdivisions compared to the rest of the country, has four real seasons (and even my Southern CA friend really does call them "REAL" seasons haha), mountains, forests/woods, lakes, ocean beaches, bays and bay beaches, lagoons, swampland, etc. It's so beautifully green in the warm months and gets vibrant colors in the fall.

NY and Boston are so close, compared to most other large American cities, that their weekend getaway areas basically overlap, and I truly don't think that one little subregion/metro within our already little region is better than the other. It will come down to personal preference but for anyone to act like one is superior or people from x metro frequent y metro but people from y don't frequent x - it's just ridiculous. Most of this thread has been people squabbling over completely ridiculous cr*p, like I think Gerania said, like whose you know what is bigger.
It's true they do overlap but as a few people have mentioned, a weekend getaway is typically three hours or less of drive time and Maine, New Hampshire and Cape Cod/Islands is a better getaway than Eastern PA, and the Jersey Shore.

Draw a 3 hour drive time circle around NYC and Boston respectively and you'll see what I mean.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:28 PM

11,888 posts, read 10,411,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
It's true they do overlap but as a few people have mentioned, a weekend getaway is typically three hours or less of drive time and Maine, New Hampshire and Cape Cod/Islands is a better getaway than Eastern PA, and the Jersey Shore.

Draw a 3 hour drive time circle around NYC and Boston respectively and you'll see what I mean.
Pretty subjective-I'm a beach person, and the beaches in NJ are much more accessible-people often rent/own homes right on the beach-and a better beach day is almost always to be had in NJ versus Cape Cod with the water always warmer. People drive to the shoretown of their choosing and then just walk/bike everywhere-the beach, bars, restaurants, etc. In Cape Cod there is not much there, and my trips have always consisted of driving or long bike rides to the beach. Scenic sure, but a very different vacation and it doesn't seem to revolve around the ocean/ beach culture as much the Jersey Shore. There are also much fewer options as far as nightlife, restaurants, etc. I would compare Cape Cod to the Hamptons-mostly residential, people often have to drive everywhere including the beach, but very scenic and pretty.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Except no.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:38 PM

Can someone please explain to me the appeal of Cape Cod?

I've been to HI/CA/OR/WA beaches a bunch of times (family) and all over the East coast (primarily NY/NJ//SC/FL beaches). Even Lake Michigan via Chicago beaches.

What's so ****ing great about Cape Cod? Anyone? They have gold plated beaches or something?

I'm even from the Northeast. Been to all six New England states and it's cities (Portland, Boston, Manchester, Providence, Hartford, etc.)

Anyone?

I do remember going on a whale watch from Boston when I was younger, and it was a miserable experience. My family was the only ones on the boat who didn't vomit and it was overcast and chilly in summer of 1994.

Our trip to Philly and the Jersey shore in 1996 was more memorable. Great weather.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:

That's your opinion. I find many people are misinformed about the Jersey Shore. It's a lot more diverse (and bigger) in things to do and type of beaches it has than people tend to think.

I know it very well. My family lives in various beach towns or towns near beach towns and I've been to many shore towns. The ocean is warmer than in New England (in Cape May it reaches the high 70s in August). I've only ever gone to Maine in August and even then the water rarely reaches 70, and the air temp is cooler as well. The New England coast is pretty but so is NJ and NY's. They're different but both nice.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:12 PM

11,764 posts, read 8,329,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalentedDrinker View Post
Can someone please explain to me the appeal of Cape Cod?

I've been to HI/CA/OR/WA beaches a bunch of times (family) and all over the East coast (primarily NY/NJ//SC/FL beaches). Even Lake Michigan via Chicago beaches.

What's so ****ing great about Cape Cod? Anyone? They have gold plated beaches or something?

I'm even from the Northeast. Been to all six New England states and it's cities (Portland, Boston, Manchester, Providence, Hartford, etc.)

Anyone?

I do remember going on a whale watch from Boston when I was younger, and it was a miserable experience. My family was the only ones on the boat who didn't vomit and it was overcast and chilly in summer of 1994.

Our trip to Philly and the Jersey shore in 1996 was more memorable. Great weather.
Dr. Beach:* New Jersey

Dr. Beach:* Massachusetts

Dr. Beach – "One of the world's top coastal experts."

Lol at the first line on Dr. Beach's New Jersey page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.