U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-20-2017, 03:12 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,150 posts, read 9,932,098 times
Reputation: 6429

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalentedDrinker View Post
Can someone please explain to me the appeal of Cape Cod?

I've been to HI/CA/OR/WA beaches a bunch of times (family) and all over the East coast (primarily NY/NJ//SC/FL beaches). Even Lake Michigan via Chicago beaches.

What's so ****ing great about Cape Cod? Anyone? They have gold plated beaches or something?

I'm even from the Northeast. Been to all six New England states and it's cities (Portland, Boston, Manchester, Providence, Hartford, etc.)

Anyone?

I do remember going on a whale watch from Boston when I was younger, and it was a miserable experience. My family was the only ones on the boat who didn't vomit and it was overcast and chilly in summer of 1994.

Our trip to Philly and the Jersey shore in 1996 was more memorable. Great weather.
Because not anyone wants a beachfront developed with houses and other buildings behind them? Or they prefer some development but a lower density and more laid back feeling.

I actually agree with them. My favorite ocean beach here on Long Island is at Robert Moses State Park at the western end of Fire Island. Not only is there the traditional state park and ocean beach (like Jones Beach SP or Montauk SP in NY or Island Beach in NJ) but there is a cool trail you can hike that will take you to the Fire Island Lighthouse.

Now some people want something to rent right on a beach. Some people like to rent a house with 12 other twenty somethings in Wildwood NJ or someplace similar. To each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2017, 03:25 PM
 
12,700 posts, read 10,548,522 times
Reputation: 17629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Part of the problem with NJ is people tend to think the whole state is sh*t and has nothing to offer. It is so badly stereotyped and misunderstood. One time I took my friend from CA down to a beach town so she could see it and her grandpa happened to call her while she was in the car with me, he's also from CA, and she told him where we were and he said "Why would you want to go THERE?" Someone else I know from CA said when I took her to a NJ beach, "... it's so clean!" as if she was surprised, because there IS a stereotype that NJ has dirty beaches which I think originates with the 80s "syringe tide" caused by the Staten Island Dump illegally dumping medical waste into the ocean. People just don't know, and that's fine because it's crowded enough already. I'll let them stay ignorant.

But "Dr. Beach" whoever he is should do some further research into the popularity of the Cape May area with Canadians...

But I find the East Coast in general has beaches that are basically the same. Parts of FL and ME are really the only exceptions. Mostly flat, though there are some highlands and some cliffs here and there, lots of islands/barrier islands, dune grass, some greenery. I don't need to go to MA or NY or DE or MD when it's pretty much what I have here. Sometimes I do like to switch it up and see new places but I think personally that the only truly superior beaches to basically everywhere along the coast are in FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2017, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Northeast states
10,678 posts, read 8,230,420 times
Reputation: 2898
Guess what state this is ??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2017, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
11,766 posts, read 8,331,681 times
Reputation: 5825
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Part of the problem with NJ is people tend to think the whole state is sh*t and has nothing to offer. It is so badly stereotyped and misunderstood. One time I took my friend from CA down to a beach town so she could see it and her grandpa happened to call her while she was in the car with me, he's also from CA, and she told him where we were and he said "Why would you want to go THERE?" Someone else I know from CA said when I took her to a NJ beach, "... it's so clean!" as if she was surprised, because there IS a stereotype that NJ has dirty beaches which I think originates with the 80s "syringe tide" caused by the Staten Island Dump illegally dumping medical waste into the ocean. People just don't know, and that's fine because it's crowded enough already. I'll let them stay ignorant.

But "Dr. Beach" whoever he is should do some further research into the popularity of the Cape May area with Canadians...
Dr. Beach is Stephen Leatherman considered by most coastal geologists to be the father of the study of coastal processes.

I think most people know that the Jersey Shore is a dynamite place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2017, 09:04 PM
 
149 posts, read 94,670 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Dr. Beach is Stephen Leatherman considered by most coastal geologists to be the father of the study of coastal processes.

I think most people know that the Jersey Shore is a dynamite place.
So not an expert on tourism. Got it.

It's one thing to know about coastal geology, and quite another to know about tourism figures and marketing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2017, 01:52 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,888 posts, read 10,413,795 times
Reputation: 8055
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Because not anyone wants a beachfront developed with houses and other buildings behind them? Or they prefer some development but a lower density and more laid back feeling.

I actually agree with them. My favorite ocean beach here on Long Island is at Robert Moses State Park at the western end of Fire Island. Not only is there the traditional state park and ocean beach (like Jones Beach SP or Montauk SP in NY or Island Beach in NJ) but there is a cool trail you can hike that will take you to the Fire Island Lighthouse.

Now some people want something to rent right on a beach. Some people like to rent a house with 12 other twenty somethings in Wildwood NJ or someplace similar. To each his own.
True-my favorite beach in NJ might be Island Beach State Park for those reasons-no development, and really pretty beaches with the nicest hue water I've seen in NJ. Also, love the Outerbanks and Assateague Island, MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top