U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2017, 09:38 AM
 
9,383 posts, read 9,529,334 times
Reputation: 5786

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalentedDrinker View Post
You can literally fit NH in the Adirondacks. The part of NH with the tallest peaks is in the northern most part of the state and a small area.
and you understand Plattsburgh, NY (On Lake Champlain) and Laconia NH (on Lake Winnipesaukee) are both 5:10 from NYC?
The Adirondacks are quite far from NYC compared to the Cape or the NH mountains is to Boston (1 to 1:30hrs)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2017, 09:40 AM
 
1,586 posts, read 1,538,178 times
Reputation: 2356
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I've been to the Adirondacks, I've been to Letchworth and Chimney Bluffs etc because I live in Rochester but nobody from New England vacations in New York while New England destinations are full of New Yorkers and people from other mod atlamtic states. That says something about the quality of the New England destinations that someone from Harrisburg will drive through the Catskills to go to the NH lakes.
As someone who's lived in both New York and New England, I can vouch for this. When I was in New York, people were spending a long weekend in Vermont or Cape Cod all the time. But here in New England, I literally never hear anyone talk about taking a trip to Upstate New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2017, 09:42 AM
 
149 posts, read 93,158 times
Reputation: 132
My favorite beaches are in Delaware and New Jersey.

New England isn't on my radar. I go to New England when I want to do something outside the usual spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2017, 09:50 AM
 
149 posts, read 93,158 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
As someone who's lived in both New York and New England, I can vouch for this. When I was in New York, people were spending a long weekend in Vermont or Cape Cod all the time. But here in New England, I literally never hear anyone talk about taking a trip to Upstate New York.

New England consists of six states.

Upstate New York is a region of one state.

That's what you're comparing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2017, 09:53 AM
 
149 posts, read 93,158 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
and you understand Plattsburgh, NY (On Lake Champlain) and Laconia NH (on Lake Winnipesaukee) are both 5:10 from NYC?
The Adirondacks are quite far from NYC compared to the Cape or the NH mountains is to Boston (1 to 1:30hrs)

Sky is blue, what's your point?

NYC has the Poconos and Catskills as well.

Not seeing what you're trying to say here.

NYC is closer to more variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2017, 09:56 AM
 
9,383 posts, read 9,529,334 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalentedDrinker View Post
New England consists of six states.

Upstate New York is a region of one state.

That's what you're comparing.
New Englanders don't go the Mid-Atlantic at all. Not New Jersey, Not PA, not NYS, DE or MD.
I knew people from Long Island that would drive to Sebago Lake or people from Westchester who go to the NH lakes or People from NJ who spent summers on the Cape or Vermont. I know tons of people from the NYC area and they all regularly go to New England Destinations. Meanwhile I literally no nobody from Massachusetts of NH that vacationed anywhere in NY, PA or NJ other than maybe NYC for a weekend.

In fact when my father first visited me in Rochester, we went to the Lakeshore and Letchworth, and he said "why doesn't anyone back home know about this" because its totally off everyone's radar.

Also look at a map. the distance from Albany to Buffalo is the same as Providence to Burlington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2017, 10:01 AM
 
149 posts, read 93,158 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
New Englanders don't go the Mid-Atlantic at all. Not New Jersey, Not PA, not NYS, DE or MD.
I knew people from Long Island that would drive to Sebago Lake or people from Westchester who go to the NH lakes or People from NJ who spent summers on the Cape or Vermont. I know tons of people from the NYC area and they all regularly go to New England Destinations. Meanwhile I literally no nobody from Massachusetts of NH that vacationed anywhere in NY, PA or NJ other than maybe NYC for a weekend.

In fact when my father first visited me in Rochester, we went to the Lakeshore and Letchworth, and he said "why doesn't anyone back home know about this" because its totally off everyone's radar.

Also look at a map. the distance from Albany to Buffalo is the same as Providence to Burlington.

I call BS on that because as someone who lives in the Mohawk Valley and goes to ADK/Albany/NYC/NJ/Philly a lot, I see tons of New England plates all over the Mid-Atlantic and Upstate.

The region is a very healthy mix of NY/NJ/PA/MA/CT/VT/NH. I'm on the Thruway a lot and 87.

This is all anecdotal though.

New England is an entire region of six states that each offer something unique and different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2017, 10:21 AM
 
149 posts, read 93,158 times
Reputation: 132
The premise of the thread is absurd anyway because the difference in weekend getaways between Boston and New York overlap. It's not like we're comparing Des Moines with Seattle.

Philadelphia has the most convenient location out of the entire Northeast. It can get anywhere New York and Boston can, in a weekend, in addition to DC and VA.

That's my vote.

What's next? What has the best sun, Los Angeles or San Diego?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2017, 10:23 AM
 
9,383 posts, read 9,529,334 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalentedDrinker View Post
I call BS on that because as someone who lives in the Mohawk Valley and goes to ADK/Albany/NYC/NJ/Philly a lot, I see tons of New England plates all over the Mid-Atlantic and Upstate.

The region is a very healthy mix of NY/NJ/PA/MA/CT/VT/NH. I'm on the Thruway a lot and 87.

This is all anecdotal though.

New England is an entire region of six states that each offer something unique and different.
I will concede I am saying New England when I should be saying Eastern New England because I know a few people who are from Western Mass and CT who regularly go places in NYS. But I know few people from say Worcester East that people go to NYS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2017, 10:31 AM
 
149 posts, read 93,158 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I will concede I am saying New England when I should be saying Eastern New England because I know a few people who are from Western Mass and CT who regularly go places in NYS. But I know few people from say Worcester East that people go to NYS.

That I would have no issue with.

I am looking into moving to Albany. It's kind of hard not to run into VT or MA because everything is so closeby.

The regions blend in seamlessly.

I would still be going to NY/NJ primarily, but Boston and New England would be a novelty thing or going someplace new thing, like Philadelphia.

Going to the same places all the time is boring.

When it comes to hiking though, no reason to leave the Adirondacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top