U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2017, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
25,017 posts, read 23,916,326 times
Reputation: 30890

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
If you look at the prominace of the mountains the Smokies and Black Mountains base elevation is around 1000 feet (Winston-Salem is not in the Mountains and has an elevation of 980 ft). While the Whites have a base elevation closer to 400 feet. Thus a 6,000 foot mountain in NH has the same climb as a 6,600 foot mountain in NC.

Also would you like to refute the fact that people from the mid-atlantic vacation in New England while the reverse is much more rare.
Why would people from the Mid-Atlantic want to go there? OK, I'll admit I've been there. My nephew lives in Boston. I used to have a friend who lived in Connecticut. My former co-worker went to Block Island every summer. When mom retired, she and dad spent 3 weeks exploring coastal towns.

We have an ocean and mountains. We also have bays, lighthouses, quaint small towns, farms, wilderness. DC and New York are more interesting than Boston, and the water is warmer in North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2017, 11:57 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
25,017 posts, read 23,916,326 times
Reputation: 30890
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
places like Acadia or Moosehead are 3-4 hours from Boston but 7-8 from NY.
The land area around Boston is comparable to the land area near Boston.
Who drives 8 hours for a weekend?
Weekend getaways are <5 hours, preferably under 3 in which case Boston beats NY.
I think Boston has an advantage in being rather isolated from the NE corridor.
2 hours NE of NYC is New Britain CT, 2 Hours NE of Boston is Old Orchard Beach, ME or the Mountains of ME
And hour and a half S of NYC is Camden, NJ and hour south of Boston is Cape Cod.
Boston having the countryside more enveloping is an advantage.
Nasty, nasty Camden. I've been to a couple of good concerts there. I've also toured the Battleship New Jersey, and taken my sister from Seattle and my senior mom to the aquarium. My son's middle school choral group sang the national anthem before a Riversharks game. Play ball!

Camden is SW of NYC. Cape May is South, but still a bit West. Does the sun still rise in the East?

My eldest brother handed me a map and a compass when I was about 15 and said, "Get us there." We were out in the middle of the woods and needed water.

Anyway, get your compass points right. If you don't, you might not find the spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2017, 12:51 AM
 
84 posts, read 73,909 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
In under 3 hours for Philly, you get NYC, Baltimore, DC, Atlantic City, Amish County, Harrisburg, Gettysburg, and much more. Philly beats both tbh.
I don't know why you like crime, prostos and ****ty casinos, but AC?? That's out.

Baltimore? Haven't been in a while, heard some new development is awesome, but used to be meh.

Gettysburg and Harrisburg don't look that awesome just doing a quick google search, but that's same for a lot of places, so I can't comment too much there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2017, 06:35 AM
 
149 posts, read 93,667 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
places like Acadia or Moosehead are 3-4 hours from Boston but 7-8 from NY.
The land area around Boston is comparable to the land area near Boston.
Who drives 8 hours for a weekend?
Weekend getaways are <5 hours, preferably under 3 in which case Boston beats NY.
I think Boston has an advantage in being rather isolated from the NE corridor.
2 hours NE of NYC is New Britain CT, 2 Hours NE of Boston is Old Orchard Beach, ME or the Mountains of ME
And hour and a half S of NYC is Camden, NJ and hour south of Boston is Cape Cod.
Boston having the countryside more enveloping is an advantage.

Why the hell would you use Camden, NJ and not Philadelphia?

That's like using Paterson, NJ over New York.

This website ****ing kills me sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2017, 11:25 AM
 
149 posts, read 93,667 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Nasty, nasty Camden. I've been to a couple of good concerts there. I've also toured the Battleship New Jersey, and taken my sister from Seattle and my senior mom to the aquarium. My son's middle school choral group sang the national anthem before a Riversharks game. Play ball!

Camden is SW of NYC. Cape May is South, but still a bit West. Does the sun still rise in the East?

My eldest brother handed me a map and a compass when I was about 15 and said, "Get us there." We were out in the middle of the woods and needed water.

Anyway, get your compass points right. If you don't, you might not find the spring.

I'm from Upstate NY. Got lost in Camden last year on a road trip. Wasn't nearly as bad as it's played out to be. Lowest murder count on record so far this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2017, 12:53 PM
 
9,382 posts, read 9,541,753 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Nasty, nasty Camden. I've been to a couple of good concerts there. I've also toured the Battleship New Jersey, and taken my sister from Seattle and my senior mom to the aquarium. My son's middle school choral group sang the national anthem before a Riversharks game. Play ball!

Camden is SW of NYC. Cape May is South, but still a bit West. Does the sun still rise in the East?

My eldest brother handed me a map and a compass when I was about 15 and said, "Get us there." We were out in the middle of the woods and needed water.

Anyway, get your compass points right. If you don't, you might not find the spring.
And the Cape is SE of Boston but whatever you get the point, being in the middle of the NE corridor limits NYCs weekend getaways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2017, 06:53 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,136 posts, read 9,907,336 times
Reputation: 6423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
My partner has been discussing moving back east to be closer to family. We're both from the Boston area, but if we do move back east I feel like I'd be better suited to starting a new chapter somewhere else. I brought up moving to the Albany/Saratoga area for the very same reasons you mentioned above. With access to so many attractions and being so close to New England, it would be easy to stay busy on weekends in that area with easy access to so much to do.
Yeah, I totally agree with you. I consider the Hudson Valley to the be the sweet spot of the Northeast.

If you look at Albany on the map, it is literally on a crossroads between NYC and Montreal and between Toronto/Niagara Falls and Boston. Surrounding the area is the Adirondacks, Lake Champlain, the Green Mountains, White Mountains, Berkshires, the Catskills, Long Island, the Jersey Shore and Philadelphia. Within a reasonable distance is Maine, the White Mountains, Cape Cod, Newport, Lancaster County, Ocean City and Baltimore/DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2017, 06:56 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,136 posts, read 9,907,336 times
Reputation: 6423
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
And the Cape is SE of Boston but whatever you get the point, being in the middle of the NE corridor limits NYCs weekend getaways.
Actually being the middle increases them. Not just in New York but for Philadelphia as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2017, 07:23 PM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,432 posts, read 18,331,107 times
Reputation: 11910
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Yeah, I totally agree with you. I consider the Hudson Valley to the be the sweet spot of the Northeast.

If you look at Albany on the map, it is literally on a crossroads between NYC and Montreal and between Toronto/Niagara Falls and Boston. Surrounding the area is the Adirondacks, Lake Champlain, the Green Mountains, White Mountains, Berkshires, the Catskills, Long Island, the Jersey Shore and Philadelphia. Within a reasonable distance is Maine, the White Mountains, Cape Cod, Newport, Lancaster County, Ocean City and Baltimore/DC.
I hadn't thought about points south of the NYC area, but I got to thinking that a big reason why a lot of New Englanders won't road trip for a long weekend to the Mid Atlantic hotspots is because they don't want to deal worth driving through NYC (and driving through Connecticut sucks too). In Albany, one can do I-87 south (nicer ride than I-95 for sure) and then jump on I-287 and just skirt around all of it heading into NJ, PA, and beyond, Much easier. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2017, 08:55 PM
 
9,382 posts, read 9,541,753 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Actually being the middle increases them. Not just in New York but for Philadelphia as well.
Maybe because I see the point of a weekend getaway to escape the city. So basically sitting in the woods for 2 days rather than running off to another city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top