U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 10:22 AM

11,290 posts, read 7,878,715 times

Advertisements

Consider Albuquerque NM since it fits your criteria, Vegas for something more lively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 10:40 AM

17,683 posts, read 4,073,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
What would be the best place to live if you make your living online and you want to be 30 minutes away from a major US international airport (assuming no traffic)? Low cost of living and a good climate with reasonably low snowfall and not too much humidity would be a plus. Ideally, the airport should offer non-stop flights to most major US cities and some international cities, particularly in Europe and Asia.

Sure, if you could live anywhere in the US, then living in a cheap rural town would make sense if you just want to keep expenses as low as possible. But it'll be expensive both in terms of money and time to get to an airport which makes it impractical for a frequent traveler.

I'm thinking Dallas and Las Vegas would fit the bill. If neither city would be ideal, please explain why. Some other cities that might also work:

- Atlanta (hear it's getting expensive)

- Chicago (though it fails the 'climate' portion.)

- Vancouver, WA (suburb of Portland, OR, but keep in mind WA has NO state income tax just like Texas and Florida.)
You thinking about moving,OP?I would choose the Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington area because it has a good location and lack of state income tax.The climate there is okay but it is humid but not as humid as Houston.You have the choice of DFW international for American international flights or Love Field for Southwest Airlines on domestic flights.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:50 AM

2,808 posts, read 1,303,535 times
Dallas or Chicago would be your best bet. Both are about dead middle of the country. Every major city is probably a three hour flight away. Lots of flight options too. I would avoid cities with smaller airports because that means less direct flights and less frequent flights.

Dallas probably wins on COL because of no state income Taxes and Chicago wins on urban lifestyle. Both have less than ideal weather, you just have to pick your poison and deal with it. I personalty hate the Dallas summer weather but it doesn't stop me from enjoying living here like millions of other people.

Vegas or Atlanta might be other good choices, but the location isn't as good. If you tent to travel more on one side of the country than the other either of them could be an ideal choice.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:27 PM

17,683 posts, read 4,073,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Consider Albuquerque NM since it fits your criteria, Vegas for something more lively
Does the ABQ sunport have international flights?I looked and i could not see any.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:54 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,970,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Does the ABQ sunport have international flights?I looked and i could not see any.
According to wikipedia they do not. The last regular scheduled service was to Chihuahua, Mexico in 2009.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albuqu...d_destinations

Old 05-10-2017, 09:07 PM

6,561 posts, read 10,270,983 times
Quote:
You thinking about moving,OP?I would choose the Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington area because it has a good location and lack of state income tax.The climate there is okay but it is humid but not as humid as Houston.You have the choice of DFW international for American international flights or Love Field for Southwest Airlines on domestic flights.
TBH the "no income tax" talking point is becoming completely meaningless in DFW. My combined state income and property taxes in Denver were about $7500 last year. That's the same as the property tax on a $375k house in DFW (which is more or less the going rate for housing in the in-demand neighborhoods with good schools).

Last edited by bluescreen73; 05-10-2017 at 09:16 PM..

Old 05-11-2017, 01:00 AM

541 posts, read 498,089 times
Houston, unquestionably.

Better weather year-round than Dallas (it snows in Dallas; it does not snow in Houston). Can fly anywhere in the US, and many places overseas, non-stop. Low cost of living. No state income tax. Within 30-45 minutes of Bush International Airport, try The Woodlands for upscale living.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:03 AM

11,290 posts, read 7,878,715 times
Quote:
OK, maybe not but I thought but they do call themselves ABQ International Airport. Perhaps they shouldnt

Old 05-11-2017, 01:31 AM

412 posts, read 306,455 times
I work remotely and I live in Vegas.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:25 PM

1,446 posts, read 2,289,358 times
If your work would be primarily on the East Coast with some European travel needed I would think Atlanta would be your best bet. A reasonable cost of living compared to the major cities in the northeast, the world's busiest airport, and warm weather with little snowfall, but less hot than Dallas or Houston. Charlotte would be another strong possibility that I don't think has been mentioned.

If the work was more west coast and Asia oriented, then Las Vegas, Phoenix, or Seattle might be good.

If it was truly a mix with the need to travel to both coasts and both Europe and Asia, then perhaps Dallas, Houston, or Denver as they are more centrally located.

Chicago of course is a great city with a very busy airport, but a lot of snow. Places like New York, LA, San Fran, and Boston have a high cost of living (and a good bit of snow for LA and Boston).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.