U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 11:16 AM

6,795 posts, read 11,763,458 times

Advertisements

What would be the best place to live if you make your living online and you want to be 30 minutes away from a major US international airport (assuming no traffic)? Low cost of living and a good climate with reasonably low snowfall and not too much humidity would be a plus. Ideally, the airport should offer non-stop flights to most major US cities and some international cities, particularly in Europe and Asia.

Sure, if you could live anywhere in the US, then living in a cheap rural town would make sense if you just want to keep expenses as low as possible. But it'll be expensive both in terms of money and time to get to an airport which makes it impractical for a frequent traveler.

I'm thinking Dallas and Las Vegas would fit the bill. If neither city would be ideal, please explain why. Some other cities that might also work:

- Atlanta (hear it's getting expensive)

- Chicago (though it fails the 'climate' portion.)

- Vancouver, WA (suburb of Portland, OR, but keep in mind WA has NO state income tax just like Texas and Florida.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 11:18 AM

6,554 posts, read 10,257,939 times
Dallas is humid. It isn't Houston or New Orleans humid, but it's not dry.

For me personally, if I could work remotely Dallas would be near the bottom of my list.

ETA: I'd choose Vegas or Phoenix using your criteria.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:14 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Atlanta would be the best choice in my opinion. It's surprisingly more central if you look at it on a map (to the east coast and midwest), has nonstop service to pretty much everywhere and although not sure what is considered "expensive" would say compared to other major US cities given the amenities still quite the bargain. Some will whine that it's humid which it can be for about two months, but outside of the Pacific NW or Rockies/West Coast so is everywhere else in the US in the summer months. If traveling frequently without geographic borders it would make sense in my opinion to not set yourself up to one extreme east or west and look more centralized. As a bit of a wildcard considering location and cost if Atlanta is still seen as expensive, consider Cincinnati. It's a major hub for Delta and would offer the nonstop service you're looking for, is a good midpoint location, has a lower cost of living than most major cities, and while a four season climate lacking in truly dreadful winters.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:24 AM

4,843 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Dallas is humid. It isn't Houston or New Orleans humid, but it's not dry.

For me personally, if I could work remotely Dallas would be near the bottom of my list.

ETA: I'd choose Vegas or Phoenix using your criteria.
Yeah, I saw in another thread where a poster said Madison was hotter than Dallas in the summer. Yeah.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:51 AM

1,557 posts, read 2,391,619 times
Dallas all day here..proximity alone, and very well connected with 2 airports. The spring is humid a bit, but then the humidity goes away and the heat kicks in for summer. Winter and fall are mild and dry. Las Vegas could work also but isnt as well placed, Atlanta also but it's humid the entire summer.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Dallas all day here..proximity alone, and very well connected with 2 airports. The spring is humid a bit, but then the humidity goes away and the heat kicks in for summer. Winter and fall are mild and dry. Las Vegas could work also but isnt as well placed, Atlanta also but it's humid the entire summer.
I just visited Dallas for the first time last weekend and the humidity is on the high end of tolerable for me. If it decreases as summer arrives, then it's good news.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:42 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I just visited Dallas for the first time last weekend and the humidity is on the high end of tolerable for me. If it decreases as summer arrives, then it's good news.
The humidity tapers off but the temperatures go up, temperatures in the mid 90s to triple digits with moderate humidity is still blast furnace hot.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:45 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,160,832 times
Vegas. Atlanta fits the bill expect for the humidity part.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The humidity tapers off but the temperatures go up, temperatures in the mid 90s to triple digits with moderate humidity is still blast furnace hot.
As long as dewpoints generally stay below 70, I should be fine.. it's similar to what I've experienced in inland southern California (Orange County, San Gabriel Valley, etc.)

Old 05-09-2017, 11:35 AM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
Vegas makes sense. Dallas also if you can handle the humidity.

IMO the lack of state income tax is probably just too strong to consider anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.