U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 05:36 AM

3,376 posts, read 4,825,499 times

Advertisements

Not really. Apart from a slight increase in the pocketbook, still the same person with the same set of issues. Only reason I'm hesitant to move is because the area itself is small and chill. Only reason I might have to again, lack of other work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 05:57 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,521,282 times
A move absolutely did improve my life. For someone who likes cold weather and living without a car, growing up in Florida was enough for me. I'm a big city person, so doing the opposite would never work for me.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:41 AM

13,238 posts, read 24,428,775 times
I did it twice:

1) Left metro Southern California (19M) for a isolated 25K town in the Mojave Desert.
-found an improved social life, but more of an opportunity to meet worse people
-jobs were a problem, but found one that worked
-limited dining options, but plenty enough
-cheaper living
-more time to leave your mind unoccupied, but more of an opportunity to occupy it with things that aren't entertaining
-smaller minds, politics clash, racism/etc
-worse weather

^ultimately wanted to jump back into the rat race, so we moved to Denver.

2) Left Denver for Spokane (3M metro to 900K metro).
-nicer people (so nice you think they're kidding sometimes), people more interested in their interests
-better scenery
-more consistent climate
-came with a job, never needed another, but was worried about depressed wages
-more expensive groceries
-better social services (if needed)
-much less traffic
-cheaper living
-for a still unknown reason, I was very relaxed mentally there, I was very content with our/the lifestyle there
-much more sensible place, a better balance of most everything

^ended up moving back to Denver to keep my job (this was during the recession). I would have never left given a choice at the time; however, things have worked out pretty nicely (still not nearly as content/mentally relaxed with Denver), and I can take trips back there just about any time I would want.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:43 AM

4,857 posts, read 2,986,679 times
Yep. Texas to DC. Things are great.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:17 AM

4,857 posts, read 2,986,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
The thing nobody tells you is the easiest way to improve your life is to:

1. Reduce your commute.
2. Reduce your desire for material things/live simply (it's easier to save money than it is to make more).
3. Reduce your suffering and do for others.

And 50% of your overall happiness is what you make it and 50% is the hand you were dealt (overall ability to be happy).

I'd say the quickest and easiest thing you can do that gives you the most return on quality of life is to cut your commute down. Or if you're like I am and enjoy walking live somewhere you can actually walk to work.

Pretty much you just have to ask yourself what you need and then make sure to pick a place to live that has the most of those things while at the same time doesn't have any deal breakers. Pretty much any city can be hell if you're in the wrong place and perfectly fine if you're in an area that works for you.
Love this post. Alot of hustle and bustle in the larger cities, because a lot of times, we just want to be around the action, great restaurants, etc. Maybe lowering all the extras is good for you.

I'm drifting that way as if I buy in the DC area or anywhere, it will be in a further suburb.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:44 AM

17,686 posts, read 4,076,675 times
I moved from a really big metro to a mid-sized city and I liked my current city growing up more than i do now.The dating scene is bad here so i want to move to Abilene,Angelo and possibly Lubbock for a better dating scene so I can get married and have kids.I plan on moving out of state but returning to Texas.

Last edited by C24L; 05-10-2017 at 10:45 AM..

Old 05-10-2017, 09:58 AM

686 posts, read 400,644 times
Left DC for Tampa. Other than cost of living and traffic, everything else was better up north. Leaving as soon as I can.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:12 PM

352 posts, read 291,697 times
Since 2001, I've moved coast to coast, overseas and back and east coast to Colorado. I still haven't found what I'm looking for...

Old 05-10-2017, 02:24 PM

17,686 posts, read 4,076,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
Since 2001, I've moved coast to coast, overseas and back and east coast to Colorado. I still haven't found what I'm looking for...
I hope you find what your looking for someday.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:32 PM

2,808 posts, read 1,305,104 times
Moved from Boise, Idaho to DFW for college during the recession.

Living in a large and diverse place has had it's benefits, and since flights are inexpensive from Dallas (less than half the cost, and many more options than were I grew up) I've gotten to travel quite a bit and have friends from college in just about every major city. Over all, leaving has really helped me appreciate where I grew up. I would say over all it was positive to get out for a while and get a start on my career, but I will look to move back if and when the opportunity comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or