Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 05:44 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
Left DC for Tampa. Other than cost of living and traffic, everything else was better up north. Leaving as soon as I can.
The humidity is horrendous as I'm sure you've learned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 07:47 AM

686 posts, read 622,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
The humidity is horrendous as I'm sure you've learned.
Yes, the June-October time frame is atrocious. I knew that going in, though. I also know now that there are a lot of locals with hidden agendas who promote Tampa summers as the greatest thing since sliced bread. These people have spent too much time out in the heat. They're also the same folks who say "but DC gets just as hot!!" Not even close, champ. And even if there is the occasional summer day in DC that's oppressive, it's just that - occasional. In Tampa, it's 24/7 around the clock oppressive and brutally humid for 4-4.5 months straight with no break whatsoever. Honestly, that isn't even my biggest gripe w/ Tampa. It's the people, the local politics, the unchecked sprawl, the lack of public transit, the endlessly flat terrain (which I didn't think would bother me but after 6 years does), etc.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:42 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Yes, the June-October time frame is atrocious. I knew that going in, though. I also know now that there are a lot of locals with hidden agendas who promote Tampa summers as the greatest thing since sliced bread. These people have spent too much time out in the heat. They're also the same folks who say "but DC gets just as hot!!" Not even close, champ. And even if there is the occasional summer day in DC that's oppressive, it's just that - occasional. In Tampa, it's 24/7 around the clock oppressive and brutally humid for 4-4.5 months straight with no break whatsoever. Honestly, that isn't even my biggest gripe w/ Tampa. It's the people, the local politics, the unchecked sprawl, the lack of public transit, the endlessly flat terrain (which I didn't think would bother me but after 6 years does), etc.
I think we've spoken of this before. DC guy saying "man it is so hot" has no idea. Same with the Texan (also with the hidden agenda) who says "everywhere gets hot, my hottest summer was in Madison, Wisconsin."

Texas is very hot, for a very long time. By long I mean June to October (like you), but also heat indexes well into the 90s at 11 pm.

DC cools down by September and most nights are very pleasant. Hell, it's been 44 degrees these last few mornings.

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 05-11-2017 at 08:53 AM..

Old 05-11-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think we've spoken of this before. DC guy saying "man it is so hot" has no idea. Same with the Texan (also with the hidden agenda) who says "everywhere gets hot, my hottest summer was in Madison, Wisconsin."

Texas is very hot, for a very long time. By long I mean June to October (like you), but also heat indexes well into the 90s at 11 pm.

DC cools down by September and most nights are very pleasant. Hell, it's been 44 degrees these last few mornings.
Yes, exactly.

When someone up north complains about the "awful" summers, or conversely Florida's "wonderful" summers, the automatic assumption is they're too stupid to tie their own shoes (or they're in real estate).

Old 05-11-2017, 11:56 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Wow you've made it 6 years. I agree with everything you said. Are you going back to DC?

Old 05-11-2017, 12:02 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times
Moved from a far-flung exurb of New York to Columbus, Ohio.

For me Columbus is a great balance of urban amenities and robust economy with a laidback Midwestern vibe.

The nice parts of urban New Jersey are very expensive and extremely crowded (waterfront Jersey City, Hoboken). The suburban areas of the state are great for raising a family (if you can afford the taxes) but pretty much ground zero for young professionals.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Wow you've made it 6 years. I agree with everything you said. Are you going back to DC?
Nah, but somewhere in the Blue Ridge area of Virginia. More than likely Charlottesville.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:53 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
I left Upstate New York for Phoenix, AZ right after I got out of high school, for 3 reasons. First was the fact that our area was shrinking rather than maintaining or growing. Second, we were hemorraging jobs, and finally, the weather. Upstate NY has some of the worst winters in the country, which seem to start between Veterans Day and Thanksgiving, and don't end until after Easter most years. And late Fall and early Spring are nothing to write home about. In November and December, Rochester only averages 25% possible sunshine, which means you might see the sun 1 or 2 days a week on average. And some of the snowiest winters in the country outside the mountain West coast.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I left Upstate New York for Phoenix, AZ right after I got out of high school, for 3 reasons. First was the fact that our area was shrinking rather than maintaining or growing. Second, we were hemorraging jobs, and finally, the weather. Upstate NY has some of the worst winters in the country, which seem to start between Veterans Day and Thanksgiving, and don't end until after Easter most years. And late Fall and early Spring are nothing to write home about. In November and December, Rochester only averages 25% possible sunshine, which means you might see the sun 1 or 2 days a week on average. And some of the snowiest winters in the country outside the mountain West coast.
I asked my brother in law why he left Albany for Tucson as soon as he could. Aside from the population shrinking, he said he was tired of his eyes freezing open while walking from his car to the office. Can't blame him..

Old 05-12-2017, 09:38 AM

226 posts, read 258,197 times
Yes. We moved from the NYC suburbs to Eugene, Oregon. Life is much more relaxed here, and the city is small enough that we can live close to everything. I was really tired of the suburbs.

I was careful to still pick a place with a lot to do. Eugene is small, but we are never bored here. College towns are often good that way. Of course there are still drawbacks. We do have to travel to Portland for certain things (a 2 hour drive, not much longer than it used to take me to get into NYC with traffic.) It also took me a while to find a job. My partner works remotely, though, so that wasn't an emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.