U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 09:54 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,774,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Actually, you usually see more Bike Share stations in Urban cities than you do suburban.
Well yeah. I mean that suburbanites are more likely to drive into the city and use the bikes rather than someone who lives in the city itself, as they would have a bike more than likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 09:21 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,037,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Well yeah. I mean that suburbanites are more likely to drive into the city and use the bikes rather than someone who lives in the city itself, as they would have a bike more than likely.
That's sort of what I thought. Why share a bike if you might already own one? But I could also see if how you use a bike for commuting and instead of worrying about locking it up somewhere or lugging it around, you can just drop one off or pick one up at a sharing station.

Detroit just started installing bike sharing stations around the downtown area with goal of launching the service at the end of this month. It'll start of with 430 bikes and 43 stations.

https://mogodetroit.org/

There were already other bike sharing/bike rental services in Detroit for a couple of years now, but only at Wayne State and the Riverwalk and a few small stations scattered around. Probably maybe a couple dozen bikes or so.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:15 PM

22,158 posts, read 23,683,428 times
Quote:
It's also really dependent on how mass transit operates in your city. Bike share systems often make sense when the city's fairly large and has an extensive mass transit system. In those cases, the bike share stations are often located at or close to the mass transit stations so that the bikes can be used as the last leg of the trip if the origin and/or destination isn't that close to a stop.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:15 PM

226 posts, read 167,890 times
Eugene is getting a bike share this fall. I own a bike but I still plan to use the bike share, mostly because I live in the hills. I am working on biking up the hills, but I'm not quite there yet. I'd love to ride around town without facing those inclines when I'm already tired!

Old 05-13-2017, 04:36 PM

6,559 posts, read 13,763,536 times
Quote:
What's true?

Alot of local bike share users are suburbanites. Especially in Chicago I know. And tourists.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:23 PM
_OT

2,144 posts, read 1,523,355 times
Does any of the Bike Sharing Systems named in this thread have Pedelecs?

Old 05-15-2017, 03:35 PM
JJG

13,248 posts, read 19,187,305 times
We've had ours for a good 8 years now...

It's done well.

Fort Worth B-Cycle

Old 05-15-2017, 08:01 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,721,195 times
Here's one at a hospital. Not quite as silly as it might at first seem.

Hershey Bikes - Zagster Bike Share

Old 05-15-2017, 08:16 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,813,738 times
Quote:
New Orleans is looking to add 70 stations and 700 bikes this fall. I don't see the draw unless you're a tourist. I have my own bike and most others here have them too.
As someone with 2 bikes (1 racing, one beach cruiser), I'll tell you my experience with bike share being a "draw".
When you ride your own bike, you have to worry about its destruction, its degradation, its risk of being stolen and/or parts taken from it. You have to find a place to park it, fix your own flat tires, conduct maintenance, etc. With a bike share subscription (cheap), you have access to a system and you have no other out-of-pocket expenses. If there's a flat, get another bike. If the bike has mechanical issues, get another bike. You don't have to drag the bike up to your apartment, store it in your backyard or on your deck, etc. If you live in an urban area or in a multifamily building, it's a godsend for the ease of use and lack of ongoing responsibility. Of course, you have to live near a station and the system has to be robust enough to get you to a variety of places. These systems with 20 stations and 200 bikes are nice but I can't imagine relying on it as a replacement for my own bike. To me, those are novelty implementations so that cities can "claim to have a bike share program". Having a bike system with both station density and connections to other modes of transit are best practices.
Citi Bike Miami - Station Map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or