U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 03:14 PM

21,220 posts, read 30,443,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermary View Post
Hi everyone. I'm looking for an affordable city in a blue state. I know lots of people say to live in any city, since most cities are progressive. That's what I've been doing most my life, and it's not working anymore. State laws over-ride city laws, and my state (and others) are passing laws to undo and restrict city laws. I'm tired of it. Even though most people in my state live in a city, state laws are becoming more and more conservative and hateful.

The only weather I cannot do is hot. Right now I spend summers in the Midwest indoors due to the heat and humidity. I won't have trouble finding a job, the issue is pay. I can easily expect $50,000 a year, but I don't want to count on more than that, and I may not have any benefits.

The other thing I really care about is being outdoors. The rest of my wants will likely be covered in a blue state, like being able to adopt as a lesbian, being able to date, better bike trails and public transportation, etc.

So what cities in blue states are affordable for $50,000? I don't shop, eat out or go to bars or concerts and whatnot. Outside the neccessities the only things I spend money on are travel and art supplies. I currently spend a crazy amount on health insurance and most providers don't even take it. I do insist on living in smoke free apartment buildings. Here that's a big deal; only the luxury places are smoke free. I don't know if that's hard to find in other states.
It's easily overlooked in the expensive Northeast US but you might consider Rhode Island, specifically Providence where rental housing costs are quite affordable (plenty $900 and under) and it's also smoke-free along with providing LGBT rights including marriage and adoption. Providence's dense development makes bus transit, biking and walking effective ways of getting around as well.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...55_rect/13_zm/
https://www.visitrhodeisland.com/what-to-do/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 10:13 AM

3,017 posts, read 1,875,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
This. Minnesota almost went to Trump, and republicans have the majority in both houses. They're taking aim at Minneapolis and St. Paul city ordinances. Good thing Gov Dayton can block their stuff for now.
Like what? All Gov Dayton is good at is riling up violent protests, with a little help from your mayor of course.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:14 PM

1,572 posts, read 753,005 times
People should certainly live wherever they prefer - but part of why Democrats are out of power these days at the federal level and in many states is that they are gravitating so much towards a limited number of blue states and cities. In the Midwest, Minnesota is the only state with a Democratic governor, and only Illinois has a Democratic legislature. Democrats abandoning purple and red states will result in Republicans becoming even more dominant over vast reaches of the nation.

That said, some of the Pacific Northwest away from the immediate Seattle and Portland metro areas may work well for the OP. Olympia or Bellingham would be worth investigating for cool weather, great outdoor amenities and a low-key, tolerant social environment.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:47 PM

1,258 posts, read 830,150 times
I'd recommend Rochester NY. Not hot, definitely a blue state, affordable, big enough to offer pretty much everything you would need without the crazy crowds and traffic.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:26 AM

2 posts, read 1,026 times
Thanks everyone. Yes, I'm looking at more than federal voting patterns, I'm looking at state policies. I'm tired of living in a state where only certain groups of people are viewed as worthy, and where it's acceptible to discriminate. Jas75 said it well with "tolerant social environment." I live in Kansas currently, where they decided not to fund the public schools, where children are being kicked off food stamps and Medicaid (because they apparently deserve to be hungry and sick), where too many people "understand" why someone would beat or shoot someone for not being white, and where more and more protections are being put in place to allow discrimination. It's disgusting. It would also be nice to not be fired from my job or kicked out of my apartment because I married a woman. I am currently paying these state politicians to make life worse for people in my state. I don't want to do that any more.

Sorry for the rant. I will look at the places everyone has suggested. When I look at cost of living for states, the average is thrown off by the expensive cities, so this is helpful. Providence looks particularly interesting. I didn't think I would be able to afford such a large city in a blue state. Thanks everyone!

Old 05-14-2017, 07:38 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,438,641 times
If you live in Kansas, with the way that governor has defunded every public institution in the name of some anti-regulation utopia (with disastrous results), then I don't blame you for asking this question. At this point, legal marijuana is a good litmus test, though though many of those states are becoming very expensive. Minnesota and Vermont are progressive and relatively affordable. You could also try somewhere in Maryland or New Mexico if you want something completely different from where you are now.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:43 AM

994 posts, read 600,318 times
what about a place like Fort Collins, CO? CO is blue, Denver is probably too expensive. Ft. Collins is a college town. Can't get more outdoors than Colorado. Not sure about COL in Ft. Collins but I'd imagine it's cheaper than Denver.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:49 AM

6,569 posts, read 10,299,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
what about a place like Fort Collins, CO? CO is blue, Denver is probably too expensive. Ft. Collins is a college town. Can't get more outdoors than Colorado. Not sure about COL in Ft. Collins but I'd imagine it's cheaper than Denver.
Colorado isn't blue; it's solidly purple. Fort Collins tends to be slightly more conservative than Denver. The COL is a bit lower than Denver, but the economy up there is also weaker.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:02 AM

983 posts, read 1,431,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Like what? All Gov Dayton is good at is riling up violent protests, with a little help from your mayor of course.
Two recent examples are the plastic bag ban and they tried to put a bill forward that would prevent Minneapolis from raising the minimum wage. Don't worry, the mayor will be gone next election.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:53 AM

56,756 posts, read 81,102,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watermary View Post
Thanks everyone. Yes, I'm looking at more than federal voting patterns, I'm looking at state policies. I'm tired of living in a state where only certain groups of people are viewed as worthy, and where it's acceptible to discriminate. Jas75 said it well with "tolerant social environment." I live in Kansas currently, where they decided not to fund the public schools, where children are being kicked off food stamps and Medicaid (because they apparently deserve to be hungry and sick), where too many people "understand" why someone would beat or shoot someone for not being white, and where more and more protections are being put in place to allow discrimination. It's disgusting. It would also be nice to not be fired from my job or kicked out of my apartment because I married a woman. I am currently paying these state politicians to make life worse for people in my state. I don't want to do that any more.

Sorry for the rant. I will look at the places everyone has suggested. When I look at cost of living for states, the average is thrown off by the expensive cities, so this is helpful. Providence looks particularly interesting. I didn't think I would be able to afford such a large city in a blue state. Thanks everyone!
Yes, it is important to look at the actual city/area versus the state. States can vary in terms of cost of living and in terms of the Northeast, with a few exceptions, the Interior portion of the region has areas with overall COL's at the national average, give or take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or