U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,025 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm looking for an affordable city in a blue state. I know lots of people say to live in any city, since most cities are progressive. That's what I've been doing most my life, and it's not working anymore. State laws over-ride city laws, and my state (and others) are passing laws to undo and restrict city laws. I'm tired of it. Even though most people in my state live in a city, state laws are becoming more and more conservative and hateful.

The only weather I cannot do is hot. Right now I spend summers in the Midwest indoors due to the heat and humidity. I won't have trouble finding a job, the issue is pay. I can easily expect $50,000 a year, but I don't want to count on more than that, and I may not have any benefits.

The other thing I really care about is being outdoors. The rest of my wants will likely be covered in a blue state, like being able to adopt as a lesbian, being able to date, better bike trails and public transportation, etc.

So what cities in blue states are affordable for $50,000? I don't shop, eat out or go to bars or concerts and whatnot. Outside the neccessities the only things I spend money on are travel and art supplies. I currently spend a crazy amount on health insurance and most providers don't even take it. I do insist on living in smoke free apartment buildings. Here that's a big deal; only the luxury places are smoke free. I don't know if that's hard to find in other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 05:22 PM

4,266 posts, read 6,348,204 times
What state are you in now?

Old 05-10-2017, 07:37 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,386,291 times
Twin Cities. In the Midwest, but summers are a breeze. Very progressive. If you love the outdoors and bike riding, you won't be disappointed. Rivers, lakes, forests and parks built around them galore. I'm moving up there and I'm gay, btw.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:25 AM

56,612 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Upstate NY cities would fit and are relatively affordable in terms of overall cost of living regardless of region. Look at residential steals in or just outside of Ithaca or parts of bigger and even smaller cities as well. Some small towns with a college may even work(Aurora and Hamilton are a couple that come to mind).

Old 05-11-2017, 09:35 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,253,023 times
Keep in mind, the OP seems to be discussing Blue States in terms of state level government's, not voting patterns. If I remember correctly, Minnesota's legislature is mostly Republican, while New York is more even split.

In my opinion, any city in Illinois (if the OP considers Chicago affordable) or somewhere in Eastern Washington is the best choice. I've also heard Western Massachusetts is affordable, at least compared to Boston.

New Mexico might also work, but it's probably too hot for the OP.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Keep in mind, the OP seems to be discussing Blue States in terms of state level government's, not voting patterns. If I remember correctly, Minnesota's legislature is mostly Republican, while New York is more even split.

In my opinion, any city in Illinois (if the OP considers Chicago affordable) or somewhere in Eastern Washington is the best choice. I've also heard Western Massachusetts is affordable, at least compared to Boston.

NY State in terms of laws would be a good fit and we also have to keep in mind that being a Republican and a Democrat can vary depending upon the state. So, many NYS Republicans aren't necessarily "conservative" or may be fiscally so, but are socially "liberal".

If one could suggest Illinois, I'd say that NY State definitely fits, especially when looking at cities outside of the biggest city in each state.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:22 AM

983 posts, read 1,429,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post

This. Minnesota almost went to Trump, and republicans have the majority in both houses. They're taking aim at Minneapolis and St. Paul city ordinances. Good thing Gov Dayton can block their stuff for now.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:20 AM

87 posts, read 48,726 times
why live around sycophants? you learn nothing that way

Old 05-12-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Upstate NY cities would fit and are relatively affordable in terms of overall cost of living regardless of region. Look at residential steals in or just outside of Ithaca or parts of bigger and even smaller cities as well. Some small towns with a college may even work(Aurora and Hamilton are a couple that come to mind).
Just to add specifics, other areas like the Westcott area/East Side of Syracuse into DeWitt, SE Quadrant of Rochester into Brighton, Elmwood Village/North Buffalo/Parkside/Park Meadow/Central Park into Amherst in the Buffalo area, SW third of Albany into Colonie and perhaps parts of Guilderland, Union Street area of Schenectady into Niskayuna and nearby parts of Colonie, SW/West Side of Binghamton(south of Main) into Vestal, SE/E Troy(and around RPI), maybe South Utica into New Hartford and Clinton and smaller places like Oneonta, Hudson and Plattsburgh(had an openly gay mayor about 8 years ago that was a Republican), among others would/could work.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:43 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,868,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63SeaRay View Post
why live around sycophants? you learn nothing that way
I live in a red state, after having grown up in a blue state, and honestly miss living in a place where the Democrats are in charge. That's why once my fiance gets her Bachelor's degree, we are moving to California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or