U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 10:11 PM

266 posts, read 812,134 times

Advertisements

In the Washington, DC, area, I used to work for companies and organizations that allowed me to travel and meet people from all over the country. I was surprised how many moms I met in low-cost-of-living areas that were working. Meanwhile, in high-cost-of-living Washington, I knew many working moms but also many that stayed at home full time. So in sum, I think in any city, you will find a mix of working and stay-at-home moms, and while I'm sure there are differences between cities, I would guess they are not great.

Honestly, I think most moms (not incl. single moms) could stay at home if they wanted--they would just have to cut back on expenses, buy a smaller house or cheaper cars, maybe even move to a different area. I think most are working because they want to and because they want the extra cash. I will probably be criticized for saying that, but I'm not being negative or judgmental about it. When I think of working moms in my circle of friends of acquaintances, I can think of very few that "have" to work, meaning they can absolutely not get by on just their husband's income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 11:01 PM

3,133 posts, read 8,332,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softballfan View Post
It means moms who are married. The husbands work and provide financially for the family and the mother chooses not to work, but rather stay home with the kids and manage the household.

But stay at home moms help save money by not needed daycare.
Can't a single woman who collects welfare and stays home with the kids be considered a stay at home mom? Or by definition a woman has to be married to qualify?

Old 03-10-2008, 11:29 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,379,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Can't a single woman who collects welfare and stays home with the kids be considered a stay at home mom? Or by definition a woman has to be married to qualify?
I think the term "stay-at-home mom" usually refers to moms staying at home with the kids, while the spouse works.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:38 PM

9 posts, read 29,900 times
So stay-at-home could mean work-at-home? I know a mom whose husband died and she remained at home continuing her freelance writing work.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:39 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,406,006 times
I think that in the current economy the number of SAHMs (and dads, too) is also going up dramatically in states with the highest unemployment numbers; granted, some of this is often not by choice, but they still count at SAHMs.

I think a mom who stays at home with the kid, regardless of marital status, counts as a SAHM. It's often women who stay home while husbands work, but if the woman is getting by by other means I think that counts, too. To me, anyway, the term implies that the mother stays at home and makes taking care of the kids her primary job. I consider myself a SAHM even though I work part-time from home doing freelance work.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:21 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,953,196 times
The following source indicates West Virginia is the state with the lowest percentage of "Married-Couple Families With Both Husband and Wife in the Labor Force."
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

When you factor in "percent of households that are married couples families" WV still likely comes out high. Although Kentucky, Idaho, and Utah would also seem to be possibilities.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Granted that could be because people don't have jobs, but West Virginia's unemployment rate has been roughly average for the US for most of this decade.

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=...0000&tdim=true

Indicates that Idaho and Utah generally have lower unemployment rates than Kentucky and West Virginia. However the study on "both husband and wife working" was done in 2004. From what I can tell the four states have roughly the same unemployment rate for 2004. Still perhaps Idaho or Utah come out higher.

Granted that the "American Community Survey" didn't say which spouse is not in the labor force in these states, or why, but it's the closest I can find at the moment to stats on the matter.

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2009 at 05:59 AM..

Old 09-26-2009, 09:06 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,535,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMama View Post
This is a topic on one of the other boards I'm on but no one can seem to find any statistics. Most votes are going for Utah or bible belt states.
Anyone have any opionions or ideas on where I could find statistics on something like this?
I would think it would be in some of the wealther, low-unemployment states where the mother doesn't necessarily need to work beacause the father's income is high enough and/or secure enough to support the whole family. I have no stats to support this though.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:12 PM

925 posts, read 2,290,556 times
God Bless our Stay-At-Home Moms.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:27 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,953,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
I would think it would be in some of the wealther, low-unemployment states where the mother doesn't necessarily need to work beacause the father's income is high enough and/or secure enough to support the whole family. I have no stats to support this though.
It might be going against economic orthodoxy, but I think a poorer family could manage with one parent at home. Although they'd have to accept a lower/simpler standard of living than many families now would accept.

Still in this age families commonly have just 2-3 kids so I'd think it's not out of the range of possibility for even lower middle-class. Part of what might make it difficult is the expectation that kids should have a bunch of things they were not expected to have even in my day. (And I'm not that old, just 32) For example that every teenager should have their own car, DVD, and computer. Even in "my day" being "sent to your room" was no big thing as you often had your own TV (if a small-screen one), toys, etc there. Now kids often stay in their room voluntarily and may have to be told to leave by their parents. (For a time my gamer nephew wouldn't leave the house even for family events)

The other thing that might make it difficult is that there's more debt and elderly relatives.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:21 PM

32,320 posts, read 55,123,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
God Bless our Stay-At-Home Moms.
Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or