Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 12:32 PM

26 posts, read 151,974 times

Advertisements

I actually like my hometown alot (Bloomington, Indiana) in this way because of all the alternative types plus all the hippies and college students make it a very young, liberal, party town with lots of single people but I would prefer someplace a little bigger (Bloomington is about 70,000) and with warmer winters. I'm thinking Eugene, OR because I've heard Portland is getting expensive. I wouldn't mind someplace more southern but I haven't heard of anyplace that sounds that great although I've heard some good things about Austin. I've been to Atlanta, GA and Lakeland, FL on short trips just to see some southern towns/cities. What I want which probably doesn't exist:

Prefer around 80,000-300,000
Majority white (preference over a heavy latino and/or Asian subculture vs. black)
Not too cold in winter (if it never got below 50 it would be fine with me, just not alot of snow)
Not outrageously hot in summer (like 100+ every day)
Lots of young single people (late teens-late 20's)
Lots of alternative types goth/punk/hippie
Reasonable cost of living
Lots to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 12:42 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,916,665 times
How about Asheville, NC? Warm (but moderate) weather + fairly low costs of living + alternative vibe.

And I actually see a lot of lifestyle diversity when I visit CA. San Luis Obispo is a nice college town. Because of the number of college students, I know there's affordable housing. And you definitely get great weather year round.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:29 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,279,753 times
Lincoln, NE? nice college population, likely to be accepted, and for a bit more fun, Omaha's just a short drive up I-80.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:06 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,945,869 times
OP you said Eugene. I'm going to second that! I would suggest Portland or Seattle(lots of the type you described in Seattle lol, I'm actually a metal head myself, you wont catch a day without seeing me in my Dying Fetus/Deicide/Necrophagist/Goatwhore shirt, Leather jacket, leather pants, my hair is down to my belt, etc.), and especially here is a dominant Asian subculture, however from what you described, both Portland and Seattle might be too big for you, with portland having a metro of in the mid 2 million range, and Seattle around 3.5 million. Seattle is expensive, Portland from what i've seen is actually quite affordable, and Eugene i belive is more affordable than both. All three have excellent schools, for example Seattle has Univerisity of Washington, Portland has Portland State University, Eugene has University of Oregon. In all of these you will see very little snow. This year, there has only been a couple days with snow here in seattle, and it was not much at all. Hope this helps, if ya have any questions feel free to message me!

Old 03-08-2008, 04:22 PM

218 posts, read 507,721 times
I see you want the goth/punk/hippie scene. But what about the emo kids? Do you want to be around them too? They are so sad and depressed.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Except for the cold winters part, I'd recommend Madison WI. It seems to suit you even better than Bloomington, because while Bloomington is a liberal college campus surrounded by a conservative town, Madison the city and UW the campus are on the same ideological page.

Another place to check out would be Athens GA.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:56 PM

That area is my first choice, I'll definitely visit sometime to check it out. I have a friend moving back to Seattle and she wants to show me around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
OP you said Eugene. I'm going to second that! I would suggest Portland or Seattle(lots of the type you described in Seattle lol, I'm actually a metal head myself, you wont catch a day without seeing me in my Dying Fetus/Deicide/Necrophagist/Goatwhore shirt, Leather jacket, leather pants, my hair is down to my belt, etc.), and especially here is a dominant Asian subculture, however from what you described, both Portland and Seattle might be too big for you, with portland having a metro of in the mid 2 million range, and Seattle around 3.5 million. Seattle is expensive, Portland from what i've seen is actually quite affordable, and Eugene i belive is more affordable than both. All three have excellent schools, for example Seattle has Univerisity of Washington, Portland has Portland State University, Eugene has University of Oregon. In all of these you will see very little snow. This year, there has only been a couple days with snow here in seattle, and it was not much at all. Hope this helps, if ya have any questions feel free to message me!

Old 03-08-2008, 08:59 PM

Can I have a pet emo girl on a leash? They need a muzzle though, pretty to look at but very annoying. On second thought they would make a mess on the carpet cutting themselves all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softballfan View Post
I see you want the goth/punk/hippie scene. But what about the emo kids? Do you want to be around them too? They are so sad and depressed.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:06 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
A Deicide fan on here???????!!!!!!!!!!!
ARIIIIGHT!!!!!!!!!
Ummmm - Seattle? Dark/evil people? Really?!
I thought it was all liberal hippie types!!!
I know Tampa is where Deicide LIVE - & it will always be the death metal capital!
And of course Marilyn Manson is from FL too...
Hey - black death goth freaks - DM me wouldja?!

In the depths of a mind insane
fantasy and reality are the same

Old 03-09-2008, 12:11 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,945,869 times
Excellent another Diecide fan!!! When i lived in Miami for a short while i couldn't seem to find any other metal fans, leave it to the internet to find one for me! lol Pagan Fest is going to be here in May i cannot wait!!! Seeing Turisas play To holmgard and beyond live will be the highlight of the year! I made a post on the Tampa board about how the metal scene was doing there nowadays, with not so promising results ;( i was sad! Do you know of any good extreme metal bands in Miami?? If so let me know, cause i'm considering moving back! And yes OP, i think you will like the pacific NW, since you have someone you know here that will give you the 1 up on a chance to check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.