U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 08:18 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,869,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Sioux Falls, South Dakota:
However, I'm not entirely sure that it would be all that exciting for an international student. I know that when I wanted to study abroad as a student, I was looking at larger cities like London, Berlin, Paris, etc.

I ended up in London and would have been disappointed if I had ended up in a small sleepy town in the middle of nowhere.

I'd advise the Latvian student not to get too hung up on the racial thing and to understand that the most interesting and vibrant US cities are generally not majority white by a huge percentage, in fact, many US cities that are great places to live are not even majority white, I know the city I live in is only about 33% white, and it is a great city (and I've lived in the city proper for over a decade).

I agree with K-Luv, I'm Caucasian person from the US myself and would never want to live in a city that was so vastly dominated by one group of people. I like the mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 10:01 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,341,433 times
Well, he was asking for midsize cities, but I have to agree with you. If I was coming to the US from another country I would want to stay in a diverse, larger city. I'd draw the line at anything smaller than Denver, Minneapolis, or Phoenix.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:12 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,325,746 times
^ what? Phoenix is huge, way bigger than Denver or Minne

Old 03-09-2008, 06:28 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,955,891 times
Has the young man said how big of a town he is from? I know if I was travelling out of country and didn't know anyone I wouldn't want to be swallowed up by a huge city, especially ones that are unfriendly!

Old 03-09-2008, 07:55 AM

480 posts, read 799,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paparaciii View Post
I am about to complete formalities at last for entering USA. I'm going to study in the States for about 4 or 5 years.
Which would be the best(with good university, weather etc) middle sized city(100'000-500'000) where the majority of population(90% or more) is white English speaking people and where the lowest crime rate is?
It is not at all that I don't like other races but I've heard that white folks sometimes are not well treated in some areas in U.S.

Thanks for your opinions,
papa.

That's an interesting slant considering the history of white people in this country....

Old 03-09-2008, 08:06 AM

2,073 posts, read 4,952,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908WAGY View Post
That's an interesting slant considering the history of white people in this country....
He's obviously talking about areas where minorities are the majority, Saint Louis Proper for example is mostly black. So yes reverse racism goes on heavily in some cities in our country - and I wouldn't want to be around it either, I don't think the OP had a dumb question at all.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:08 AM

480 posts, read 799,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
He's obviously talking about areas where minorities are the majority, Saint Louis Proper for example is mostly black. So yes reverse racism goes on heavily in some cities in our country - and I wouldn't want to be around it either, I don't think the OP had a dumb question at all.

I really didn't need an explanation, I got it...I just said it was an interesting slant considering the history of white people in this country...ooops I said it again.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:01 AM

87,013 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Pittsburgh is heavily white, metro-wide. Denver is perceived as white by many on this forum, although it's not true. Perhaps b/c most of our minority population is Hispanic? Either city would be good for the OP. Pittsburgh probably has more Latvians.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:10 AM

2,237 posts, read 6,567,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
^ what? Phoenix is huge, way bigger than Denver or Minne
By metropolitan area Phoenix and Minneapolis aren't too far off:

Phoenix = 4.04 million

Minneapolis = 3.18 million

Old 03-09-2008, 03:19 PM

55,668 posts, read 74,637,859 times
dear paparaciii
a quick latvia question.
you speak fluent russian yes?
why is the statue of liberty in that position in Riga, not like ours here no?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.