Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 07:56 PM

153 posts, read 197,121 times

Advertisements

For some the older posters on here that have seen a lot changes during their lifetime here in the U.S. ....which city and/or state do you feel has changed the most that makes you nostalgic for its former days?

How was it different back then? What makes it different now? Share some memories. I am currently trying to write a book.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 05:30 PM

No one? Lol.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:51 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
The Bay Area was a refuge for all types who felt they had to leave more oppressive areas of the country. It was home to all sorts of organic arts and social movements. Now gentrification has nearly wiped that out and it's a tech hub and food/bar playground for the wealthy. I miss it for what it was, not what it is now.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The Bay Area was a refuge for all types who felt they had to leave more oppressive areas of the country. It was home to all sorts of organic arts and social movements. Now gentrification has nearly wiped that out and it's a tech hub and food/bar playground for the wealthy. I miss it for what it was, not what it is now.
Hmm, interesting. I thought it was still like that there to this day.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:15 PM

822 posts, read 857,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaboy92 View Post
Hmm, interesting. I thought it was still like that there to this day.
Nah .. not so much ...

Old 05-29-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
Nah .. not so much ...
Wow. Alternatively, where in the U.S. do you think those habits of the old San Francisco are becoming a trend?

Old 05-29-2017, 10:32 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
I miss some parts of New York City. I went down there a lot in the 80's and 90's. Though it quite dangerous then ESPECIALLY in the Bronx, I love the gritty graffiti atmosphere. Obviously, I would never have lived there, but it was definitely an experience I would re-live as a visitor. This was a time when Times Square was filled with clubs and adult stores. This was the best time to be a young adult but you will never see anything like older version of Times Square ever again especially in a world where everything is censored and put away. A lot has changed since then. NYC is so stale and boring today, one massive mall of endless consumption. It's just one big museum with tourists doing selfies. Just go to Times Square today and all you see is mindless idiots walking around taking pictures with a knock off entertainer dressed as Woody or Elmo.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I miss some parts of New York City. I went down there a lot in the 80's and 90's. Though it quite dangerous then ESPECIALLY in the Bronx, I love the gritty graffiti atmosphere. Obviously, I would never have lived there, but it was definitely an experience I would re-live as a visitor. This was a time when Times Square was filled with clubs and adult stores. This was the best time to be a young adult but you will never see anything like older version of Times Square ever again especially in a world where everything is censored and put away. A lot has changed since then. NYC is so stale and boring today, one massive mall of endless consumption. It's just one big museum with tourists doing selfies. Just go to Times Square today and all you see is mindless idiots walking around taking pictures with a knock off entertainer dressed as Woody or Elmo.

Do you feel this is happening to most of America today? Heck, perhaps the entire world is becoming that way (for major cities, that is). Everything is beginning to all look the same...endless sprawl of suburbia outside of all major cities with every road littered with strip malls, food chains and etc. It's all too generic. Do you feel gentrification is destroying our society in a way, possibly?

Old 05-29-2017, 11:02 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaboy92 View Post
Do you feel this is happening to most of America today? Heck, perhaps the entire world is becoming that way (for major cities, that is). Everything is beginning to all look the same...endless sprawl of suburbia outside of all major cities with every road littered with strip malls, food chains and etc. It's all too generic. Do you feel gentrification is destroying our society in a way, possibly?
In America? Absolutely. These companies know Americans love to eat and shop . That's all we do! It's gotten progressively worse in cities like NYC because back in the 80's, most major cities were being whipped out because of high poverty and high crime. The suburbs attracted most development and the birth of the American mall grew. As our population grows then the supply and demand for goods increases as well so in return you get more and more sprawl with miles of endless brick and mortar buildings. Suburbs were always an attractive bedroom destination because it offered beauty, charm and proximity to major cities, while giving some piece and quiet versus a major city. Upwardly mobile people arbitrage their options when choosing where to live and everything goes into that mix. In the 21st century, many cities are making a comeback. They're becoming safer and more things are being offered to people who are willing to live there. As these large cities began to reinvent and fix themselves, the typical 1950's suburban office complexes and houses have become a thing of the past. Companies and people (especially milennials) want to relocate and surround themselves around excitement in order to attract new workers and what suburbs have to offer doesn't bring that excitement. It offers that same dull boring environment that hasn't changed in decades. I wouldn't say gentrification is necessarily destroying society since peoples preferences change and now many suburbs and even rural areas are suffering because of that. Maybe in the near future, it will reverse. It is devastating to poorer families though who are being forced to relocate out of cities and into the inner suburbs because the cost of living in cities has skyrocketed since they've become attractive to live in again. Lack of affordable housing is what's killing poorer families since prices are determined by supply and demand.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:36 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
The small town in northwest Ohio where I grew up back in the '70s and '80s. I would just love to see it again with all of the Mom and Pop stores along the main street; a couple of hardware stores, a jewelry store, a pharmacy/gift shop, a Thrift Land department store, a locally owned clothing store or two, some cute little restaurants...and local people walking on the sidewalks and greeting each other because back then everyone knew everyone and it was friendly. I remember when everyone thought it was a big deal when McDonald's came in back in 1980.

Today it is one of thousands of small towns across America whose downtown has been decimated by Walmart, Walgreens, etc. built on the outskirts of town. The downtown is a sad shell of what it used to be, although they try hard to keep it nice and thriving. It will never be the same, though. I miss small town America minus the huge chain stores and restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.