U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2017, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 764 times

Advertisements

I'm currently 18, and I'm saving money to move by around May 2019ish. I'll be working part-time for 6 months, and then working from home making about 15.85 in the field I'm going into. I'll have my own vehicle by then, and reliable family back home.

I've lived in rural West Virginia my whole life. I'm horribly bullied and isolated here, and I just don't belong. I've tried to adapt to the redneck way of life, but it's not for me. Those around here who aren't redneck, for the most part, are on drugs or miserable as well. I want to move to a more populated area.

I've been to Pennsylvania a couple of times for concerts. I go to Burgettstown for Warped tour and I've been to Stage AE, in Pittsburgh. I just want to live in a city sort of like Pittsburgh, where I don't have to drive to another county for McDonalds or where I can go out and have a life.

I love alternative and metal music. I lean more towards -core genres, and I love concerts. I also I wanna find a place with a good music scene in that respect. I like good food and wanna find a place with good people. I just want to find a city where I can hopefully find some likeminded people.

Any recommendations? I also want a fairly safe crime rate for the city, if possible.

Some internet friends have recommend their cities (Austin, TX, West Palm Beach, FL, Ocala, FL) and I'm heavily considering those places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 02:33 PM

17,672 posts, read 4,066,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingvinyl View Post
I'm currently 18, and I'm saving money to move by around May 2019ish. I'll be working part-time for 6 months, and then working from home making about 15.85 in the field I'm going into. I'll have my own vehicle by then, and reliable family back home.

I've lived in rural West Virginia my whole life. I'm horribly bullied and isolated here, and I just don't belong. I've tried to adapt to the redneck way of life, but it's not for me. Those around here who aren't redneck, for the most part, are on drugs or miserable as well. I want to move to a more populated area.

I've been to Pennsylvania a couple of times for concerts. I go to Burgettstown for Warped tour and I've been to Stage AE, in Pittsburgh. I just want to live in a city sort of like Pittsburgh, where I don't have to drive to another county for McDonalds or where I can go out and have a life.

I love alternative and metal music. I lean more towards -core genres, and I love concerts. I also I wanna find a place with a good music scene in that respect. I like good food and wanna find a place with good people. I just want to find a city where I can hopefully find some likeminded people.

Any recommendations? I also want a fairly safe crime rate for the city, if possible.

Some internet friends have recommend their cities (Austin, TX, West Palm Beach, FL, Ocala, FL) and I'm heavily considering those places.
What is your budget for housing,OP?

Old 05-14-2017, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 764 times
Well, I'd say I'd like to keep it no higher than $950 a month, if possible.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:37 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,967,264 times
It sounds to me like you primarily need out of your small town, rural lifestyle. There are literally endless possibilities in this vast great country that would offer such an opportunity. Plenty small or medium-sized cities have multiple McDonalds. Anyway, I say that to suggest maybe you look for something near you and your family so it's not such a scary transition. Morgantown for example.

Now, in the future, you may find that you really do crave the big city life and would want a subsequent upgrade. Hopefully by then you will have also seen more and have a better idea of what type of big city you want. But the first and most doable move is just to a larger city/town with more people and amenities.

Good luck!!

Old 05-14-2017, 10:42 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,039,033 times
Chapel Hill/Carrboro NC has a good music scene, but you could live anywhere in the Raleigh-Durham area and get to it easily.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:14 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Chapel Hill/Carrboro NC has a good music scene, but you could live anywhere in the Raleigh-Durham area and get to it easily.
I second Chapel Hill-Carrboro. It has a great music scene, a lower cost of living compared to many big cities, but yet has all the amenities. It's also pretty safe and has plenty of job opportunity in the area.

https://globenewswire.com/news-relea...rrboro-NC.html

Old 05-15-2017, 06:58 AM

12,199 posts, read 10,414,132 times
Why not Pittsburgh, since you're familiar with it? The transition will be smoother, and it has plenty of arts and culture for a city of its size (and location).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or