U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-14-2017, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
9,013 posts, read 2,740,700 times
Reputation: 6945

Advertisements

I personally like the Providence suggestion. It's basically the most beautiful city I've been to in the US, plus you're close to Boston and it's cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2017, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Olympia, Washington
1,283 posts, read 704,269 times
Reputation: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlady16 View Post
Thanks for the tips so far... I have considered Providence but have never been there. Would like to visit Do you know anything specific about it. I would pursue a job in Boston most likely if not a monster commute on public transit time wise.
It's a nice historic city. Many older buildings and neighborhoods and such that are quite nice to walk through. Very New England. Obviously it's one of the oldest cities in the country. Good food scene there. Close to Cape Cod which is always fun to check out during the summer. It is roughly an hour commute to Boston and a transportation hub so easy access to NYC/Boston by bus or train.




Last edited by fluffydelusions; 05-14-2017 at 07:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
375 posts, read 346,354 times
Reputation: 458
Clearly the most logical choice is Baltimore. Find an apartment within walking distance to Penn Station and you can commute to DC daily via the MARC train.

Philly & NYC? Yeah they're convenient if you want to visit DC monthly or quarterly, but not if you're serious about a career in public policy.

Baltimore is the most affordable option of the 5 major east coast cities. Check out Downtown Partnership's website for more info and to see if Baltimore is cosmopolitan enough for you:

https://www.godowntownbaltimore.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 09:59 AM
 
161 posts, read 181,717 times
Reputation: 128
You'll definitely want to factor commuter rail prices into your budget. They can be quite expensive. It could be around $400/month to commute to Boston from providence Monday to Friday for a month.

Also consider what public universities have public policy programs nearby. I'd imagine Baltimore would be good with that if college park or UMBC have programs. That could be good if you pursue in state tuition. There's always online programs too so maybe local universities aren't super important to your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 10:00 AM
 
Location: New York NY
4,269 posts, read 6,353,279 times
Reputation: 9071
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
Clearly the most logical choice is Baltimore. Find an apartment within walking distance to Penn Station and you can commute to DC daily via the MARC train.

Philly & NYC? Yeah they're convenient if you want to visit DC monthly or quarterly, but not if you're serious about a career in public policy.

Baltimore is the most affordable option of the 5 major east coast cities. Check out Downtown Partnership's website for more info and to see if Baltimore is cosmopolitan enough for you:

https://www.godowntownbaltimore.com/
^^Yep. This. It's gotten a lot of bad press for the police shootings and violent crime in the past few years, but it's a cool city with some very nice neighborhoods. You can live there easily, cheaply, and be nowhere around the bad stuff, just as you can in most other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
6,317 posts, read 6,979,763 times
Reputation: 3504
Providence looks nice from the photos above.

Philly is certainly a nice city with many nice areas but if you're trying to stay well below $1200 you'll probably have trouble finding something in those nice areas.

Leaving me with Baltimore as the best recommendation. I was very impressed with the many neighborhoods there, some already very nice, some gentrifying, and some just solid working class that care about their community. As has been pointed out, the MARC train is a quick and easy commute to Union Station. I don't actually know the rents in Bmore but it's gonna be your best bet among the large cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 10:49 AM
 
21,201 posts, read 30,404,475 times
Reputation: 19635
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Providence looks nice from the photos above.

Philly is certainly a nice city with many nice areas but if you're trying to stay well below $1200 you'll probably have trouble finding something in those nice areas.

Leaving me with Baltimore as the best recommendation. I was very impressed with the many neighborhoods there, some already very nice, some gentrifying, and some just solid working class that care about their community. As has been pointed out, the MARC train is a quick and easy commute to Union Station. I don't actually know the rents in Bmore but it's gonna be your best bet among the large cities.
Baltimore is the logical choice in my opinion too. Philly is too sketchy in that price bracket and while Providence is nice it makes no sense to commute that distance to Boston unless the job market is lacking for the OP as well as advanced degree options. That price bracket is clearly doable in Baltimore with some desirable options as well.

https://hotpads.com/baltimore-md/apa...1&lon=-76.6249
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,446 posts, read 2,290,608 times
Reputation: 1361
Philly and Baltimore were the two places I immediately thought of. As others have said, both are historic cities with a reasonable cost of living. Baltimore is obviously very close to DC and Philly is reasonably close to NY and DC.

Another possibility that has not been mentioned is Richmond. It is probably not as cosmopolitan as Philly and Baltimore, but it is no slouch, it has some nice historic areas, it is close to DC, and it has a reasonable cost of living.

Last thought: usually when people say "East Coast" they mean the northeast and mid-atlantic from Boston to DC, but if you are willing to go further south, Atlanta is another option. It is in a state located on the east coast, I would argue it is just as cosmopolitan as Philly and Baltimore (possibly even more so) and it also offers a reasonable cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 02:47 PM
 
55 posts, read 36,055 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
It's a nice historic city. Many older buildings and neighborhoods and such that are quite nice to walk through. Very New England. Obviously it's one of the oldest cities in the country. Good food scene there. Close to Cape Cod which is always fun to check out during the summer. It is roughly an hour commute to Boston and a transportation hub so easy access to NYC/Boston by bus or train.



fluffydelusions........Thanks for adding the photos. This is what I like to do also... Giving a visual is great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2017, 02:57 PM
 
55 posts, read 36,055 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Philly and Baltimore were the two places I immediately thought of. As others have said, both are historic cities with a reasonable cost of living. Baltimore is obviously very close to DC and Philly is reasonably close to NY and DC.

Another possibility that has not been mentioned is Richmond. It is probably not as cosmopolitan as Philly and Baltimore, but it is no slouch, it has some nice historic areas, it is close to DC, and it has a reasonable cost of living.

Last thought: usually when people say "East Coast" they mean the northeast and mid-atlantic from Boston to DC, but if you are willing to go further south, Atlanta is another option. It is in a state located on the east coast, I would argue it is just as cosmopolitan as Philly and Baltimore (possibly even more so) and it also offers a reasonable cost of living.

I mean the Northeast and Mid Atlantic then.... Georgia is too far south...

Baltimore could be worth looking into........ I do know the Lexington Market area is depressing. I enjoy being in an downtown setting so that may be a big turn-off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top