U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 02:58 PM

55 posts, read 36,017 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts about Connecticut Cities anyone?

I may just go for the 1st choice say a prayer and move back to Northern Virginia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 03:15 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,402,528 times
You described Philadelphia to a t.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:51 PM

4,633 posts, read 2,783,657 times
what's "cheap" though? $1000?

I mean you can find apartments right downtown for the cheap, but there is usually a reason.

For instance this one is $950, but the fact they had to write "has ceiling fans" means that there is definitely no AC: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...43_rect/15_zm/

I like living here. Lots of good restaurants, cultural events, etc.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 05-15-2017 at 05:22 PM..

Old 05-15-2017, 05:19 PM

56,082 posts, read 54,565,498 times
I think you would like Providence. They have Waterfire, shown in one of the photos. Also look up the late Buddy Cianci. Some people revere him.

Philly is another good suggestion. Hunt down a poster on City-Data named Clark Park. He knows more about Philadelphia than Ben Franklin, and he'll give you good info.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:32 PM

56,616 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps look into NY communities near the Metro North rail lines. Perhaps a small city like Beacon could work, but you would also have to keep the commute in mind.
More Beacon info: Beacon Arts | Where Art, Culture, and the Hudson River meet.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2009/03/2...?_r=0&referer=

ART ALONG THE HUDSON Beacon - ART ALONG THE HUDSON

In and Around The Lofts at Beacon - The Lofts at Beacon

City Council, City of Beacon, NY

Old 05-15-2017, 06:53 PM

[quote=thedirtypirate;48166202]what's "cheap" though? $1000?

I mean you can find apartments right downtown for the cheap, but there is usually a reason.

For instance this one is $950, but the fact they had to write "has ceiling fans" means that there is definitely no AC: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...43_rect/15_zm/

I like living here. Lots of good restaurants, cultural events, etc.

Yes I can afford $950....

You definitely have to pay more living in a city that is exciting in many parts of the country lately it seems .
Here in the Midwest I had a studio for $550........ but it is boring living here...... St Paul, MN

[/QU

Yes I can afford $950....

You definitely have to pay more living in a city that is exciting in many parts of the country lately it seems .
Here in the Midwest I had a studio for $550........ but it is boring living here...... St Paul, MN
OTE]

Old 05-15-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think you would like Providence. They have Waterfire, shown in one of the photos. Also look up the late Buddy Cianci. Some people revere him.

Philly is another good suggestion. Hunt down a poster on City-Data named Clark Park. He knows more about Philadelphia than Ben Franklin, and he'll give you good info.
If I got a good job in Providence I would consider it.

I just automatically thought Boston would be the obvious commute for someone living in Providence for a corporate job. Or working at a University perhaps.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:07 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,970,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlady16 View Post
I mean the Northeast and Mid Atlantic then.... Georgia is too far south...

Baltimore could be worth looking into........ I do know the Lexington Market area is depressing. I enjoy being in an downtown setting so that may be a big turn-off
Well farther south of Lex Market gets nice. And obviously Inner Harbour too. You could check out Fells Point, Federal Hill and Locust Point for other nice neighborhoods kinda downtown-y and close to downtown. I mean everything around the harbor is infill-ing very nicely.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:15 PM

56,082 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlady16 View Post
If I got a good job in Providence I would consider it.

I just automatically thought Boston would be the obvious commute for someone living in Providence for a corporate job. Or working at a University perhaps.
There's a lovely little university in Providence named Brown. Perhaps you've heard of it.

Some people probably do make that commute. My niece lived in New Bedford until recently. She made use of both Providence and Boston, but she had to travel throughout New England and NY State for work. Now she works in Boston and lives in Framingham.

Another thing to consider is that the NE places are a little colder than Philadelphia will be.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:55 PM

7,742 posts, read 6,144,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Well farther south of Lex Market gets nice. And obviously Inner Harbour too. You could check out Fells Point, Federal Hill and Locust Point for other nice neighborhoods kinda downtown-y and close to downtown. I mean everything around the harbor is infill-ing very nicely.
They're about to tear down the current Lexington market and build a new one. Hopefully that will clean up that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or