U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 05:59 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,149,968 times

Advertisements

I have lived for six years in Northern California, six years in Southern California, and also a half dozen or more other states for more than a couple of years each.

California is at the BOTTOM of my list. I hated how dry it was in southern California - - my face was just bleeding all the time from the dryness and chapping. Most people would not like the humidity here in New Orleans, but it is good for my skin and I love it. There is so much water here, and I use water liberally. Still, my water bill is never above the $2.84 minimum per month. In California they even rationed water it was so scarce, or at least we couldn't water the lawn any day we pleased or wash the car. Ugh!!!

There were probably a thousand other things I hated about California, too; the cost of living in large coastal cities is insane, as is the traffic, and there are many other facets of California that I do not like. The one thing I do like about California is the beautiful wildlife, tide pools, wildflowers, redwoods, and various plants there. But that wasn't enough to overcome its disadvantages, for me.

I am truly glad that Californians love California! Then I don't have to feel guilty about ditching that state, forever, because there are still plenty of people who want to live there. Not me, no way, no how. But I'm happy for those that do live in California and love it.

My favorite state? I loved my home state of Hawaii, although I haven't lived there for 42 years and it is probably too crowded and expensive for me by now. Louisiana is surprisingly a very nice state in many ways, or at least it seems so to me. I will probably stay here for the rest of my life. I also like the Missouri Ozarks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 11:02 AM

10,602 posts, read 14,388,516 times
My opinion, NO, not for me.
For mountains I prefer the Appalachians, for beaches I prefer Fl or the great lakes, don't like desert, do like four distinct seasons with a little bit of snow (driving to someplace else to get to snow does NOT count), despise anyplace crowded, and not impressed with 'beautiful people' or fancy lifestyles, so yeah, not anywhere near the top of the list for me.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:22 PM

214 posts, read 226,815 times
What is the state of Arizona like? I hear it gets ridiculously hot in the summer months. My grandmother had friends from Arizona who used to come to the UK during the summer months as it was just too much for them during the summer in AZ. However, barring the heat is the state nice overall?

Old 05-23-2017, 04:24 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,841,989 times
Overall, everything about CA was nice except real estate greed, car registration difficulty, and of course firearms laws. While I found it easy to go without a car over there, the other two were just too much of a heavy itch for me.
So five years later in the quiet flats of Eastern NM and I feel as though I've surprisingly acclimated to it.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:25 PM

17,790 posts, read 4,131,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
What is the state of Arizona like? I hear it gets ridiculously hot in the summer months. My grandmother had friends from Arizona who used to come to the UK during the summer months as it was just too much for them during the summer in AZ. However, barring the heat is the state nice overall?
Arizona is really scenic but it also has places that have cool to cold climates like Flagstaff.Arizona has a lower COL than a lot of California.Its a dry heat in Arizona.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:11 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,411,582 times
I think when most people think of "California" they think of La Jolla/Coastal San Diego, Coastal Orange County, West Hollywood, Santa Barbara, West La, Malibu/Pacific Palisades, Lake Tahoe and then San Francisco. If you don't factor in cost of living (which is a big if), natural disasters or traffic then these places in California would rank very highly for many people.

However, South County San Diego, Bakersfield, San Jose, Fresno, Stockton, San Bernardino/Riverside, Santa Ana, Modesto, the nondescript Los Angeles boomburbs and the vast majority of inland California isn't very appealing to me in the least bit.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:55 PM

6,804 posts, read 11,807,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I think Hawaii is the best state.
If you enjoy beaches, jungles, and volcanos, I'm sure it'll be the best state. But personally, I'd be bored if I were to stay there for any extended period of time. Even if I lived in the middle of the desert in the mainland US, I could still be a few hours away from something cool by car or plane. Not so for Hawaii - I'd need to fly or take a lengthy boat ride between islands even, not to mention getting to the mainland.

To each their own...

Old 05-25-2017, 09:11 PM

149 posts, read 64,390 times
California is #1 if were talking economy and importance but in my opinion i love Florida.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:52 PM

51 posts, read 28,829 times
It's difficult to compare large states unless it's absolutely in the abstract.

California is not Rhode Island.... Where you move to California will determine what you get out of it.

If you move to Southern California but really love Tahoe, you will find yourself rarely going.

Personally I prefer the northeast for urban areas (except San Francisco, love that place) and quaint towns. Most of California is quite boring, soul-less suburban sprawl.

When it comes to beaches, I will take Florida or Hawaii.

When it comes to breath-taking scenery in every corner of the state, it has to be Hawaii.

So no, for me at least it's not the best state. For others, it could very well be.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:30 PM

390 posts, read 233,049 times
Living in a lower COL area allows my family a lifetime of participation in many things vs. having to pour every cent into housing for 40 years. I guess it depends on one's financial situation and preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or