U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 07:28 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,185,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The house they live in is definitely below the median, is small and is on a through street (Trask Ave) and just below the 22 Freeway, right near the Garden Grove city limit, so I'm sure their house is worth less than $450k. They've lived in the house for at least 30 years
That last sentence explains it all. If theyve lived there for 30 years, thats why they are there. If they made less than 100k and tried to buy a 450k house, it would mean years upon years of saving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 09:28 AM

4,345 posts, read 7,420,095 times
No, California is not the best state in the U.S.A. in my opinion. California ca. 1910 may have been, but modern day California has been ruined by the massive influx of people from other places (that includes and mostly refers to white U.S. citizens from other states, BTW, just so that I don't get labeled any kind of "-phobe") that took place over much of the 20th century. I can imagine that LA was absolutely pristine back before the population explosion, not so much today, and much of the rest of it is just average if not unimpressive. San Diego is beautiful, but like most of CA, far too expensive for average Americans to afford and the traffic is horrendous.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:51 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,015,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There are vast swaths of California that are thinly populated, full of far right loons, not expensive, and have relatively low levels of dirt and only minimal amounts of violence, and these areas are still bigger than many states.

Of course they have no economy and get up to 115 degrees in the summer, so...

California State Senate election map. The recent presidential election map is even redder.
Orange County went blue in 2016. Even the Republican loons knew that Trump would be a disaster

Old 06-02-2017, 11:06 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,226,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Right wing politics didn't lead a state to care more about illegal foreigners than it's own citizens. Thats a different discussion though.

It's "sad" because it was probably, as a conservative, the only part of the state I would feel comfortable living in because it wasn't filled with a bunch of hardcore "tolerant" leftists.
I get your point.

Although, I will say that I live in Orange County and it is in transition, albeit slowly, from red to blue. South Orange County will probably be red for another generation, but parts of north and central Orange County are on the precipice of being blue; Santa Ana has already gone blue.

I have lived in San Diego County, a county with similar political tendencies overall with Orange County (although it voted at a higher percentage for Hillary than OC), and didn't care for it at all--and I was decidedly conservative Carlsbad. I do think inland north SD County and east SD County will remain conservative for another generation, but coastal north SD County and the City of SD (even though it has a Republican mayor at the moment) have already gone blue.

Now, Sacramento is a left-leaning city, and Ventura County has become left-leaning in recent years. I would probably be comfortable living in either.

I enjoy L.A. and wouldn't object to living there for a couple of years if I needed to for work. The Bay Area is wonderful to visit, but the "hardcore 'tolerant' leftists" have ruined it more than any other region of the state; the pay rates for employment, even given its cost of living, still make the area understandably enticing for many.

Honestly, the best places in this state for conservatives at this point are probably Bakersfield, Fresno, Chico, Redding, Yreka, small farm towns in the Central Valley, places like those. And, Fresno/Fresno County and Chico/Butte County themselves are in slow transition from red to blue anyway, albeit at a slower pace than what is going on in Orange County and San Diego County.

I understand conservatives just throwing their hands up in the air and moving on to Arizona, Idaho, Nevada, or Texas. I, as a conservative, have thought about doing this more than a few times, although I'm especially drawn to New Mexico, whose sociopolitical equivalent in California would basically be San Diego County.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-02-2017 at 11:44 PM..

Old 06-03-2017, 09:24 PM

325 posts, read 207,379 times
Kind of hard to answer...CA may be the best state for scenery and climate, with the highest mountain in the 48 states, lowest altitude in the entire continent, but perhaps the worst state to live in. With the super-high cost of living, gang violence, and terrible state politics, especially in the highly populated areas, I probably rather live in North Dakota than in California.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:26 PM

124 posts, read 97,277 times
lol no.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:26 PM

1,185 posts, read 874,086 times
It's probably the most desirable state for the largest number of people, hence the large population, and shortage of housing. It has some of the nicest variation geography is the US, and some of the most beautiful scenery. It has a nice mix of urban, suburban, and rural areas It has a robust economy. So, I would say It's probably the best.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:21 PM

124 posts, read 97,277 times
Some of the most deadly earthquake zones too, worst homeless problem, and worst pollution in the country, very nice indeed.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:26 AM

4,124 posts, read 913,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newengland17 View Post
Some of the most deadly earthquake zones too, worst homeless problem, and worst pollution in the country, very nice indeed.
Please get those thoughts out there to as many people as possible!! We don't need more people moving here since it's overcrowded as it is, and the areas that are rural need to stay that way to keep the farmland that feeds all of you!

Old 06-04-2017, 02:30 AM

1,827 posts, read 1,249,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
It's probably the most desirable state for the largest number of people, hence the large population, and shortage of housing. It has some of the nicest variation geography is the US, and some of the most beautiful scenery. It has a nice mix of urban, suburban, and rural areas It has a robust economy. So, I would say It's probably the best.
I don't completely disagree, but do you basically just rank desirable states by their population? I'd I remember correctly, most the nation requires more homes, so that isn't exclusive to the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or