U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 04:29 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,242,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
It's easy to bash California with the way this question was worded. But let's be honest, if California is not considered the greatest American state, then what is?
Its because greatest is in the eye of the beholder.

Im not one that will even say NYC is better than Fargo. There are many people that do prefer Fargo.

By that same token, there are lots of people that might prefer Alabama or Nebraska to California. It might be better to them or greater to them. Its just not an answerable question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 07:17 PM

3,464 posts, read 3,160,306 times
It's easily California. First off, it's yuge...really really yuge. Scenery wise it covers everything from rolling hills, mountains, green, brown, desert, ocean, beach, cliffs, etc. It has it all including great major cities, climate, diversity and everything in between.

I think the majority of Americans would jump at the opportunity to live there if affordable. All the nonsense about red vs blue is just noise. The problem is that desirability comes at a cost with overcrowding and traffic. I use to travel frequently all over the country and spent significant time in just about every state. It's hard to beat Cali and I am by no means a west coast kind of person.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:39 PM

406 posts, read 291,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Ok, time out.

Illegal immigrants do nothing for the state? Why do you think all your stuff is so cheap? Its because illegal immigrants pick your fruit, build your houses, cook your food, and repair your roads. Those people bust their rear ends. To say they contribute nothing is pure ignorance.
It's also extremely ignorant to say that all illegals do all of those things. Simply not true at all in most parts of the country. And for one, living in New York, all of my stuff is not "so cheap".

Old 06-06-2017, 10:18 PM

68 posts, read 45,227 times
My favorite state so far is Hawaii.
Followed by Washington
Then Colorado
I'd put California here tied with Virginia

I'd likely put Oregon up with Washington, but I've never lived there, only visited. (I've lived in Washington, Montana, California, Hawaii, Georgia, Oklahoma, Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Virginia, and Florida). I've visited about 40 of the 50 US states, but never lived in most of them to form a proper opinion on any of the ones I visited for business purposes.

The taxes in California are not too terrible (close to Virginia, much lower than Idaho and Oregon for my income - but I'm not pulling in 7 figure salaries like the people complaining about the taxes in Cali). The cost of living is horrendous unless you live in the heavily polluted and sparsely populated central part of the state from Bakersfield on up.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:36 PM

1,209 posts, read 885,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I don't completely disagree, but do you basically just rank desirable states by their population? I'd I remember correctly, most the nation requires more homes, so that isn't exclusive to the state.
No, not just by population, but the supply demand mismatch and costs give an idea of what it's worth for the average person to live there. If the median home price is $400,000, then it's more desirable for the average person than another heavily populated state where the median home price is $165,000. Other states that rate high by that metric are Washington, Hawai'i, New York, and Colorado.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:37 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,146,926 times
I used to love California. Many of the students I went to High School with in the '70s moved there. However, I think the state has gone through a tremendous transformation in the last 50 years, and not a good one. In a way, CA has self-destructed.

As such, it's still a beautiful place but it has so many problems now that it will take years and years to unravel, if ever. I think there are many other states that might qualify for that title now. I pray Colorado isn't next.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
It's also extremely ignorant to say that all illegals do all of those things. Simply not true at all in most parts of the country. And for one, living in New York, all of my stuff is not "so cheap".
Youre not in touch with the labor force at all. Illegal labor does make those things cheaper and there really is no debating that.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:24 PM

406 posts, read 291,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Youre not in touch with the labor force at all. Illegal labor does make those things cheaper and there really is no debating that.
Regardless, illegal immigration is a huge problem and shouldnt be glorified at all, and it is really something that tarnishes California in my opinion.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Regardless, illegal immigration is a huge problem and shouldnt be glorified at all, and it is really something that tarnishes California in my opinion.
Illegal immigration is not a black and white issue. What some of these people have had to deal with in their home countries neither you nor I could comprehend. Some of these people face the prospect of death or have had their homes destroyed or families killed. Are you arrogant enough to say that if you were in their positions you would just sit there because you wouldn't want to migrate illegally?

By the same token, yes there are illegal immigrants that are worthless to society. Some come here and take advantage of the system. That is a problem too.

Like I said, not at all a black and white issue.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:49 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,171,144 times
Most desirable state does not always mean the best. I believe they did a poll of Americans favorite state and it was Hawaii, Colorado, Vermont and Minnesota that were the most liked. I personally like low taxes and a pro business state but California is the most likely the best state to live in if you are independently wealthy and do not mind the high housing costs otherwise I do not believe it is but it is all subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or