U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 09:24 PM

1,574 posts, read 756,106 times

Advertisements

Something to keep in mind is that California is the third largest state geographically, after Texas and Alaska. The state certainly has many great amenities and attractions, but what exists in one part of the state is often very inconvenient for residents of other parts. The geographically smaller states further east may not offer as much individually, but when combined to make up an equivalent area as California, they are pretty competitive. Delaware for example may not have a world class city within its boundaries, but it's closer to the entire DC to NYC corridor than the northern and southern California urban areas are to each other.

I was raised in California myself and moved away 20 years ago, with no regrets. Whether it is the best state or not depends on the individual's situation, but it is objectively a more difficult place to achieve a middle class lifestyle for many people and much of the state is very densely populated and with aging, deteriorating infrastructure. Given migration statistics for many years now, more Americans are coming to the conclusion that living in other states make more sense for themselves than California does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 09:54 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,216,077 times
Short answer: YES!

Hey they voted for single payor healthcare (and this state is an economic powerhouse)- and for long time residents- its affordable (I lived in San Francisco).

Old 06-07-2017, 11:58 PM

406 posts, read 291,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Illegal immigration is not a black and white issue. What some of these people have had to deal with in their home countries neither you nor I could comprehend. Some of these people face the prospect of death or have had their homes destroyed or families killed. Are you arrogant enough to say that if you were in their positions you would just sit there because you wouldn't want to migrate illegally?

By the same token, yes there are illegal immigrants that are worthless to society. Some come here and take advantage of the system. That is a problem too.

Like I said, not at all a black and white issue.
Of course I realize that what happens in their home countries is horrible. Thats why many people who legally immigrated here came here. They wouldn't have left their countries if it was all rainbows and butterflies there.

What I'm saying is that Illegal Immigration, specifically in California and super liberal states that allow this sanctuary crap, is turning the place into something that, frankly, turns a lot of people off. Signs in different languages all over the place, huge gang influx, drug issues, and most importantly, LAW BREAKING. Yes, ILLEGAL immigration is in fact ILLEGAL. And not only that, but it is a huge slap in the face to those that immigrated here legally and left THEIR home countries for the same exact reason people flee Mexico, because people glorify this crap by giving these people their own "safe spaces". Also, unlike illegal immigrants, most people that legally immigrate here assimilate to American culture and way of life, go through the immigration process in a legal and proper manner, and don't take advantage of the system to only send money back to their country and their families.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:24 PM

15,569 posts, read 17,804,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Illegal immigration is not a black and white issue. What some of these people have had to deal with in their home countries neither you nor I could comprehend. Some of these people face the prospect of death or have had their homes destroyed or families killed. Are you arrogant enough to say that if you were in their positions you would just sit there because you wouldn't want to migrate illegally?
The vast, vast majority of illegal immigrants here fled poverty. That is why they are illegal immigrants. People from the background you are describing can apply for refugee status and receive benefits an illegal alien would only dream of.

I am not saying that many illegal immigrants came from some dire circumstances, but to say that even many of them are fleeing death squads and bombed out cities is simply false.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:40 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,249,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The vast, vast majority of illegal immigrants here fled poverty. That is why they are illegal immigrants. People from the background you are describing can apply for refugee status and receive benefits an illegal alien would only dream of.

I am not saying that many illegal immigrants came from some dire circumstances, but to say that even many of them are fleeing death squads and bombed out cities is simply false.
Unfortunately with our current president, the lines between illegal immigrant and refugee are non-existent in the eyes of the public.

Illegal immigrants are illegal in large part because coming legally requires two things: time and money (and a lot of both). If youre in poverty in El Salvador, Mexico, or wherever and you literally have nothing, making $3 an hour picking fruit is an amazing opportunity.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:52 PM

82 posts, read 33,706 times
I haven't been to all the states but of the ones I have been to my faves are:

Colorado..stunning. And so clean. I did not expect to like it as much as I did. It's visually stunning but I remember looking at a real estate book and being stunned by the high price of apartments. And this was a long time ago.

Florida..not another place like it. The beaches, palm trees, shopping and restuarant selection. And people are really friendly.

Maine..I could never get through their winters but as far as tranquility goes, Maine is tops. And that rocky coast with all the light houses and the incredible seafood. It is cold though!

Shout out to Montana..I've never been there but a friend of mine used to show me pictures of horse farms and open countryside as well as those amazing snow capped mountains. It's definetly on my list of places that are must sees.

I have been to Cali and it is a great state in alot of ways.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:28 PM

106 posts, read 65,122 times
Texas is the best state in the union!

Old 06-24-2017, 05:25 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,318,802 times
Hawaii is my favorite State

Old 06-24-2017, 07:37 PM

120 posts, read 53,406 times
Back in the 60's and 70's California was a dream, now days I am not so sure.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:48 PM

5,263 posts, read 2,805,521 times
Lol not only no but hell no. Costs are high and then you have to deal with actual Californians.

If you lowered the cost and got rid the of the people then we could have a real discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or